How do you guys stop wanting to upgrade?
Nov 11, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #50 of 55
Nov 11, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #52 of 55
I realized some new things. Its true we are suppose to appreciate the music that audio gears are the tools to supplement the experience. Audio gears are just some of the factors that affect the experience. There are usually other factors such as music itself, quality of file, and mood of the listener. Sometimes instead of trying to focus on these other variables one seeks easy solution which is upgrading the gear. What I realized was I wasn’t looking back at myself as listener. I was constantly focused at the audio gear. However, just as how much audio gear affects the experience I would say our psychology itself could affect the experience even more. When we focus on ourselves instead of the gears it could be another good way to improve the experience. One of the best way to improve ourselves as listener is appreciating the music and focusing on the music. I feel the more you focus in the music the less you focus on the gear. If we appreciate the music and are contented I feel there are less reason to upgrade. Sometimes one of the reasons why wanting to upgrade is ironically due to the lack of the appreciation of music. We care about how heavy are bass, deep are subbass, clear the midrange are, and sparkling the treble are. We care about the clarity, sound signature, and tempo of sound. In this process we became a sound analyst more than a music lover. We care about the characteristic of sound that we start to forget about the actual notes, melodies, and beats of the music. We become the observer of the sound than an interacting audience or listener. Now sorry I am not trying to generalize this to everyone. Its my personal experience from headfi journey.

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #53 of 55
I realized some new things. Its true we are suppose to appreciate the music that audio gears are the tools to supplement the experience. Audio gears are just some of the factors that affect the experience. There are usually other factors such as music itself, quality of file, and mood of the listener. Sometimes instead of trying to focus on these other variables one seeks easy solution which is upgrading the gear. What I realized was I wasn’t looking back at myself as listener. I was constantly focused at the audio gear. However, just as how much audio gear affects the experience I would say our psychology itself could affect the experience even more. When we focus on ourselves instead of the gears it could be another good way to improve the experience. One of the best way to improve ourselves as listener is appreciating the music and focusing on the music. I feel the more you focus in the music the less you focus on the gear. If we appreciate the music and are contented I feel there are less reason to upgrade. Sometimes one of the reasons why wanting to upgrade is ironically due to the lack of the appreciation of music. We care about how heavy are bass, deep are subbass, clear the midrange are, and sparkling the treble are. We care about the clarity, sound signature, and tempo of sound. In this process we became a sound analyst more than a music lover. We care about the characteristic of sound that we start to forget about the actual notes, melodies, and beats of the music. We become the observer of the sound than an interacting audience or listener. Now sorry I am not trying to generalize this to everyone. Its my personal experience from headfi journey.
Out of some horrible habit I often check Head-Fi first thing in the morning, before I'm even out of bed. Maybe it's because I don't have social media. It can really set the mood for the day.

This morning it was some guy wondering about the differences between 2020 HD 650s and 2019 HD 650s.
Oof.

Two guys discussing the merits and differences of capacitors in their tube amps.
Uugghh. This is already shaping up to be a long day.

And then your post.
This is honestly one of the best posts I've ever seen on Head-Fi. This is the sort of clarity and personal insight that I wish I could wake up to every day.

Well done and thank you!

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #54 of 55
And then your post.
This is honestly one of the best posts I've ever seen on Head-Fi. This is the sort of clarity and personal insight that I wish I could wake up to every day.

Well done and thank you!

It reminded me of Bigshots "Musicphiles, Audiophiles and Gearophile" thread in SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back