How do you guys stop wanting to upgrade?
Nov 6, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #16 of 55
Stupid ears means universals not likely to fit, so not much point in trying them. Customs are nice, but for me a complete pain to get fitted so desire less there as well right now (off sick for 3 months from work helps as well!). You can be interested in products and not get them.

Nov 6, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #17 of 55
I don't know, I bought another set of headphones a few days ago, more IEMs (I don't even like IEMs!) since then....

I'm also looking for a new amp and DAC.

At the same time, I haven't changed anything about my speaker setup in like... a year and a half, two years now? So I'm confident I can get it to a point I'll be largely content with the headphones too. That's the hope at least. The fact that it took speakers that originally retailed for $5000 in the mid 90s and supporting gear worth nearly as much to get there is not a great comfort (not that I paid anywhere near that for any of it) when my current 'nicest' headphones were around $1000 new and the amp/DAC $600. I'm definitely not there yet.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #18 of 55
This is my hobby and whenever I get bored I check used headphones selling forum and source selling forum. I know I have financial constraint to further upgrade. However, whenever I see a good deal I keep get urge to upgrade and try out new things. Its very ambivalent. Rationally I want to stop but emotionally I get urge for better gears. Its like addiction I guess. If anyone went through similar experience or phase and successfully got out of this let me know. I would appreciate some tips.
I got out, but it needed luck to find the perfect fit and a deep pocket, because I only settlet on Total summit fi stuff.

Now it feels like heaven. I no longer have the urge to try new gear.

Nov 6, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #19 of 55
As someone who actually succesfully 'stopped' with the insane search and constant purchases this year, I can only offer what worked for me.

To put it into perspective, over the past 11 years I've owned over 250 headphones, IEMs, buds and headsets in total.
This year, I 'only' purchased 3 headphones.

What did it for me, was finally investing my energy back into and 'reviving' an old hobby.
Especially if you still have the materials still around that you maybe havn't even held in your hands for months/years.
In my case, it was a conscious decision that required effort. It didn't come naturally, or with boredom of this headphone hobby. I still love it of course.
So, I would strongly suggest that as a possible starting point.

Nov 6, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #20 of 55
i haven’t had the urge to splurge ever since i bought IEM that focused more on the experience i was looking for, wen previously i was focused on numbers and technical details

it has only been 3 months tho, so who knows wat will happen in a year

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #21 of 55
Honestly? Stay away from any audio-related fora, and enjoy your music on the gear that you already own. It's impossible hard to resist the temptation to want to know more, read more, want more!

Ultimately, you've got to go cold turkey.

Me? I'm too far gone to be saved. :sweat_smile:

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #22 of 55
Thanks everyone for your advice, opinions, and thoughts. You guys are wonderful! I am going to settle with my current gear for now and have been working with new hobbies. I got back to my old hobby which was gaming and watching shows. Also, I just ordered a camera to start photography as new hobby! I think having diverse and multiple hobbies help instead of going all in in one hobby. I think other hobbies would help me get distracted from audio hobby as well. Hope everyone enjoys their hobby and no one suffers from it as hobby is meant to be happy and enjoyable.

Nov 7, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #23 of 55
My problem is that I want to hear every headphone under the sun, until I discover the one that brings me the most joy. I can't determine whether I feel content or not, knowing there are so many other options out there. More money doesn't always equate to better performance, but I've set myself a cap on what I'm willing to spend. Bottom line - If I don't have the money to spend, I don't have the money to spend. This is actually my 2nd hobby, high end JDM fishing gear being my 1st. I sell fishing gear - head gear, in order to acquire new merchandise. I don't really think there is a way out unless you just quit cold turkey. I've recently acquired the AT WP900 and the Ibasso SR2. I feel really good about my choices, and both cans are where my limit caps out at.

Nov 7, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #24 of 55
With the WM1A and the DMP-WM1 firmware, I really don't see myself looking for another DAP. It just sounds so good, and it's just enough for me - awesome highs with absolutely no harshness, awesome detailed deep bass, and awesome mids.

Regarding listening gear, the Z7M2 is also awesome, together with the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro (with some Dekoni ear pads) if I want a more open sound. Also, for IEMs, I'm sure there are better out there, but Shure SE846 are really good, especially with the WM1A and the modified firmware, which has the ability to bring the good even out of less expensive gear.

I know, I used the "awesome" word quite a lot, but it's just what I feel. I may experiment in the future, who knows, but for now I'm just happy with what I have. WM1A was the best purchase decision I made, and it came a really long way this year, so far!

At first there were tuning mods for these players, which were nice and interesting, especially given the fact that they were the first thing you could refer to as "software modding", but the firmware mods are really bringing the WM1A to the next level, and I can't stress more the "next level" part.

Edit: WM1A with the modified firmware is most awesome in terms of musicality and the analog feeling, in contrast with other players (like the M11 Pro) being cold and analytical, and also for it's 3D immersive soundstage.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #25 of 55
We're all in the same boat: Listen to the music, not to the gear.

Eventually you once get to the point where you enjoy your music and are happy with what you have ... otherwise without limiting yourself and especially when spending too much time of forums like this one you'll eventually run out of cash sooner or later :wink:

For some this point might come sooner, for others later (depending on the seriousness of the addiction and your financial ressources of course ^^)

Assuming you're an adult you're obviously aware how to deal with money. Other than that there is simply not much to say.

Have fun and all the best :)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #26 of 55
Thanks everyone for your advice, opinions, and thoughts. You guys are wonderful! I am going to settle with my current gear for now and have been working with new hobbies. I got back to my old hobby which was gaming and watching shows. Also, I just ordered a camera to start photography as new hobby! I think having diverse and multiple hobbies help instead of going all in in one hobby. I think other hobbies would help me get distracted from audio hobby as well. Hope everyone enjoys their hobby and no one suffers from it as hobby is meant to be happy and enjoyable.
This is what i exactly did.
Don't be focused on one thing/hobby, especially if it's audio gear. ^^

I, for myself, bought a camera (Sony Alpha 6400) and own a detailing company, which started as a hobby.
Cycling plays a part in my life as well.

Well, i love music.
Can't work without.
But to listen to music you don't need several thousands of dollars to be pleased, imo.
You've to find your preferred sound signature and the right headphone.
That's it, nothing more. :)

Nov 8, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #27 of 55
Honestly, I wish there was a music forum that had like a sub-forum that talked about audiophile gear and stuff. Kind of an inverse of Head-Fi.
Nothing is really stopping me from frequenting the music sub-forum more, but ultimately there's not THAT much going on there. And most reddit music communties are super specialized...

This is sorta off-topic I guess but if anyone has any pointers I'd be glad to follow. I was member of a "abnormal music" group on Facebook, but decided to delete my FB account all together a few months ago....

Nov 8, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #28 of 55
For many years i have burned a lot of money in technology, unfortunately the result was often not as desired.
The way out ... came from my second hobby, running. Too much training, too much measurements, another competition ... and the more I tried to find better times, I was stuck with no improvement.

A good runner and former professional athlete said with the right words ....
"You started because it was fun, physically and mentally, now it has become work for you .. go back to fun and joy ... "
..it was that easy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :relieved:

Nov 8, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #29 of 55
This is my hobby and whenever I get bored I check used headphones selling forum and source selling forum. I know I have financial constraint to further upgrade. However, whenever I see a good deal I keep get urge to upgrade and try out new things. Its very ambivalent. Rationally I want to stop but emotionally I get urge for better gears. Its like addiction I guess. If anyone went through similar experience or phase and successfully got out of this let me know. I would appreciate some tips.
By only purchasing timeless classics like the Eddie Current Studio B, Sennheiser HD 650, and vinyl. Digital audio is down a dirt road and you’ll forever be chasing the sunset. Spend well, spend once, and appreciate nostalgia.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back