How do you guys stay awake while listening to music?
Dec 13, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #31 of 61
Quote:
Change your Q701 for a pair of planar magnetic.

The weights of both the headphone and it's bass together will keep you awake.

I had this same issue with the bassier HD650. I figured it was just the HD650 because it was warm and relaxing sounding. I figured the brighter sounding Q701 would keep me awake.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #33 of 61
I love Blackwater Park 
biggrin.gif
. wst just having a little Opeth talk in the "Let's talk  metal" thread.... listening to April Ethereal as I type

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #34 of 61
Quote:
I love Blackwater Park 
biggrin.gif
. wst just having a little Opeth talk in the "Let's talk  metal" thread.... listening to April Ethereal as I type

Blackwater Park on the Q701 is siiiiick. When I can stay awake to hear it, that is. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Any word on whether Opeth is done being a metal band? Are they going back to the hard stuff on the next album? I like Heritage, but I'd prefer they make more stuff similar to Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries and such.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #35 of 61
Yeah and Opeth isn't aggressive. My grandma could fall asleep on Opeth. I have a large collection of symphonic metal albums and I can easily fall asleep to any of them. I actually do this when I need to nap during the day, though I use speakers. The music will put me to sleep, and when the playlist ends I suddenly awaken.

Next time maybe try some Metalcore...

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #36 of 61
Quote:
Blackwater Park on the Q701 is siiiiick. When I can stay awake to hear it, that is. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Any word on whether Opeth is done being a metal band? Are they going back to the hard stuff on the next album? I like Heritage, but I'd prefer they make more stuff similar to Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries and such.

I'll be honest with you, I haven't even bothered to listen to Heritage
beyersmile.png
 but the did Damnation and then returned (almost) to their old style, some experimentation is always sign of progress in a band. but I do hope they become "normal" Opeth in the next album hahaha. Nice to hear about B.P in the Q701. but well, if you want to talk some Opeth come over to the metal thread, let's leave this one to solve your problem :D

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #37 of 61
Quote:
Yeah and Opeth isn't aggressive. My grandma could fall asleep on Opeth. I have a large collection of symphonic metal albums and I can easily fall asleep to any of them. I actually do this when I need to nap during the day, though I use speakers. The music will put me to sleep, and when the playlist ends I suddenly awaken.

Interesting, I don't like metalcore. The most aggressive I really like is Opeth. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #38 of 61
Quote:

I listen to a lot of metalcore and most gives of a fairly light/friendly vibe... most Black/ Death Metal and I find even Opeth have a much darker vibe, which in my book, makes them "heavier"

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #39 of 61
Quote:
When I come home from work I take a shower, eat dinner, and then usually proceed to listen to music with my headphones. My problem is that I usually fall asleep while listening. It doesn't matter that my preferred sound signature is neutral, or that my music is usually aggressive. I can fall asleep listening to aggressive metal music at about 75-80db average on my Q701. What am I doing wrong? I want to be able to stay awake for my music, not fall asleep half way through an album.    

I listen to music/audiobooks at work to a)help me keep awake and b)block out a lot of the external noise going on around so I can concentrate better.  Music at home is used to block out external noise so I can drift off to sleep better :)

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #40 of 61
Quote:
 I listen to a lot of metalcore and most gives of a fairly light/friendly vibe... most Black/ Death Metal and I find even Opeth have a much darker vibe, which in my book, makes them "heavier"

Metalcore is friendly/light? Trust me, I have an extreme Metal library from Thrash to Death, but Metalcore seems to be the most undirected form of anger and emotion, haha. I guess opinions will always vary, but that post blew my mind.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Metalcore is friendly/light? Trust me, I have an extreme Metal library from Thrash to Death, but Metalcore seems to be the most undirected form of anger and emotion, haha. I guess opinions will always vary, but that post blew my mind.

hahaha well depend what type of metalcore we're talking, Jane Doe by Converge is sometimes considered metalcore, and that's one of the heaviest/ hardest to digest albums I've listened to, but most modern bands that are labeled as metalcore most of the times just don't sound to actually angry to me hahaha, indeed the type of music is, but that people that make the music are not, which then makes the music "friendlier" for me. Like it's "friendlier "to listen to a guy singing about everyday problems than another talking about taking apart bodies, etc. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #44 of 61
With me I think it's just being forced to lay on my back that does it. It doesn't matter what I'm listening to, either; eventually, if I'm there long enough, I'll fall asleep. The problem is that I can't stay asleep, since I end up waking up after about an hour feeling like I'm stuck in a casket. Not being able to move my head makes me feel claustrophobic, and that wakes me up.

This actually upsets me because I often like using music to try to drift off to sleep, and it always works. But it's only temporary. One of the reasons I'm on an epic quest to find an IEM I like is because maybe if I can move my head I'll be able to stay asleep once the music lulls me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back