How do you guys stay awake while listening to music?
Dec 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #46 of 61
I do most of my listening towards the end of the evening. I prefer to listen whilst standing up and walking around (with an extension cable). I get more immersed with the music this way - become part of the performance etc. But a by-product of this is that it's hard to fall asleep whilst walking around. If I tried the same music at the same time whilst sitting down, I too would very easily start falling asleep.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #47 of 61
Quote:
When I come home from work I take a shower, eat dinner, and then usually proceed to listen to music with my headphones. My problem is that I usually fall asleep while listening. It doesn't matter that my preferred sound signature is neutral, or that my music is usually aggressive. I can fall asleep listening to aggressive metal music at about 75-80db average on my Q701. What am I doing wrong? I want to be able to stay awake for my music, not fall asleep half way through an album.    

Sounds like classic symptoms of sleep deprivation to me.  Try sleeping 8 hrs/ night.  You might also be suffering from sleep apnea, where you are aroused from sleep hundreds of times during the night as a result of your airway collapsing during rem atonia and your body arousing and gasping from apoxia- ask your wife/partner if you snore heavily and periodically stop breathing when you sleep.  It's extremely common and easily treatable. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #48 of 61
Quote:

Sounds like classic symptoms of sleep deprivation to me.  Try sleeping 8 hrs/ night.  You might also be suffering from sleep apnea, where you are aroused from sleep hundreds of times during the night as a result of your airway collapsing during rem atonia and your body arousing and gasping from apoxia- ask your wife/partner if you snore heavily and periodically stop breathing when you sleep.  It's extremely common and easily treatable. 

She has told me that I sometimes snore. I dont know if I stop breathing or not...

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #49 of 61
I also would think your problem is related to tiredness. 

I remember when I started working, coming home dead tired, all I could do was eat something then crash. There was nothing that would keep me awake. It got better as I got used to the work and it became easier. 

That part of your day when you put your cans on and listen to your music is the time when you are the most relaxed. Work is over, you have eaten dinner, GF is off to bed, that time is only yours and there is no pressure for you to do anything. Naturally, you relax, and being tired you'll fall asleep. I would try having my listening sessions earlier (before dinner)  or having a lighter dinner :) If I eat too much I'll fall asleep within 30-60 mins afterwards, no matter what I do. Standing while listening or changing from sitting to standing, taking a few steps might help also. 

Unless I'm dead tired, I'll never fall asleep while listening to music. Except maybe if I'm playing some Indian classical music for 3-4 hours in the middle of the night, but that doesn't count :D 

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #50 of 61
On the contrary, I love listening to music while going off to sleep however I can never drop off while lying on my back. Since getting a set of HD25's I can't find a comfortable way to lie on my side while wearing them that wouldn't cause any damage. I was wondering if anyone had found a way to do this?

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #51 of 61
Quote:
On the contrary, I love listening to music while going off to sleep however I can never drop off while lying on my back. Since getting a set of HD25's I can't find a comfortable way to lie on my side while wearing them that wouldn't cause any damage. I was wondering if anyone had found a way to do this?

Unfortunately, you've discovered the bane of all headphone listeners. Granted, my headphones are probably bulkier than the HD25, but it's pretty much impossible to lay on your side when wearing a set of cans. I suppose if you constructed a complex sort of hammock with a hole cut out for the cup to go through, it might be possible. Or, if we were in space it might not be so uncomfortable because of the lack of gravity.

If anybody works out a way of doing this, I'd love to know since it's something I've been battling with a long time.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #52 of 61
Unfortunately, full size headphones tend to always have this problem.  The best option would be to find some low profile earbuds with good quality.  I don't know how most people are, but I don't particularly care about sound quality when I'm falling asleep.  I'm sure there are half-way decent earbuds that you can use while drifting to sleep, but the only way cans are ever viable is if you're a back sleeper.  This is like one of the golden issues with headphones haha!  Best of luck!

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

Unfortunately, you've discovered the bane of all headphone listeners. Granted, my headphones are probably bulkier than the HD25, but it's pretty much impossible to lay on your side when wearing a set of cans. I suppose if you constructed a complex sort of hammock with a hole cut out for the cup to go through, it might be possible. Or, if we were in space it might not be so uncomfortable because of the lack of gravity.

If anybody works out a way of doing this, I'd love to know since it's something I've been battling with a long time.

I usually just rotate my head until the earcup hits the pillow, then stop, lol. or just lay on my back, though It's hard not to want to lay on my side (this even happens when I use my lap top, where 95 percent of the time is while laying on the bed hahaha)

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #54 of 61
Don't know how you guys can fall asleep listening to music! I can fall asleep with the TV on, although not super loud, but something right up/in my ear, just keeps me awake

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #56 of 61
Maybe it was mentioned, but looking at a screen like a computer or t.v. can make my eyes tired. And you said you like looking stuff up while listening, so maybe it's not the headphones. I sleep with headphones every night, at low levels though. I don't sleep until I'm ready, I listen to headphones for 5-6 hours every night before bed and I'm older.
Are you maybe some kinda thrill junky and your brain needs more stimulation to keep focus, like a dirt-biker?
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #58 of 61
I don't drink coffee. Maybe a Monster energy drink...
Quote:
Drink some coffee.  Coffee actually lends itself quite well to music-listening sessions 

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #59 of 61
On recent weeks Iv'e find out I can't longer go to sleep while listening to music, I guess during school time I'm tired, hence I fall asleep, But now that I'm on vacations I can't seem to fall asleep with music no more. So now I when I go to bed I do listen to music, but usually if an hour passes I just give up and sleep without music

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #60 of 61
I didn't see it mentioned so I thought I might throw this into the mix.  You might have unconsciously associated music with sleep somewhere along the way.  We are very much creatures of habit and if your body began to associate your night time listening habit with going to sleep than it will put you to sleep a lot easier than you think.  It reminds me of an interesting study I read while I was a student.  One of the points it mentioned was our brain's interpretation of certain tasks, such as associating waking up with washing your face and brushing your teeth.  People who did this every morning would feel refreshed and more energetic if they washed their face late at night.  Very interesting article but I didn't have the foresight to save a copy of it :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back