How do you guys buy your music?
Oct 1, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #32 of 47
I buy random CD's with nice looking covers, most of them are pleasant surprises. And I buy the albums that I end up listening to a lot when I physically encounter them. All are immediately turned into ALAC at home but I'll only buy the CD, not a download.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #33 of 47
Quote:
Well I go to school (freshman high school currently) and I get chances to listen to music. After college I might be the same way, just go to work where I have all my music on my laptop in a portable rig and then back home I have everything obviously, and I could just take one CD for like a trip to the grocery store or something.

I'm at school too, I just listen to music at night when I don't have to do anything else, also it's dark then, music in broad daylight is distracting.

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #34 of 47
Pirate 
very_evil_smiley.gif

jk
i buy music from
http://www.musicme.com
http://www.qobuz.com
bandcamp
HDtracks
Note : theses site are in foreign language so you have to have a translating thing on your browser

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #36 of 47
I buy CD's 99% of the time, either directly from the band, or their label. I don't think I would buy an album from Amazon when there are so many local record stores around me who either carry what I want, or can order it in. I would also never pay for digital downloads. But that's just me. Now eBay, I use to buy spoken word albums not available on CD. But not frequently.

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #38 of 47
I only buy CDs, generally in local stores or internet stores

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:
I make sure its the CD I want. I then ponder to myself if I really need it. And then I buy it off Amazon.

I work on the grounds that music is interesting, so if an album has a good chance of being more interesting than the worst album I own, it's worth getting (for the right price)
so when I go to op-shops, I'll buy alot of CDs very cheaply of things I kinda like, and for less than $1 I won't say no too. But if the CD is about to cost me $20-$30 I'm much more careful about what I get..

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #40 of 47
I recently started using Beatport too.  A lot of the lesser known electronic music I listen to is on there.  The audio quality 320Kbps, so that's fine with me.   You can also by WAV or AIFF format for double the price.  So, I just bougtht an album for $12, then WAV/AIFF format would be $24.  However I'm poor, so MP3 it is.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #41 of 47
Beatport is a fantastic site for selection but absolutely horrid for price. Honestly my Beatport cart is sitting at about 1500 dollars in MP3 right now and I'm slowly buying it all in 256 AAC from iTunes because it's cheaper that way (significantly in some cases).

Quote:
I recently started using Beatport too.  A lot of the lesser known electronic music I listen to is on there.  The audio quality 320Kbps, so that's fine with me.   You can also by WAV or AIFF format for double the price.  So, I just bougtht an album for $12, then WAV/AIFF format would be $24.  However I'm poor, so MP3 it is.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:
Beatport is a fantastic site for selection but absolutely horrid for price. Honestly my Beatport cart is sitting at about 1500 dollars in MP3 right now and I'm slowly buying it all in 256 AAC from iTunes because it's cheaper that way (significantly in some cases).

I went there a couple times but just forgot about it after I saw an album in WAV for like $25. Dang, I'd be paying $5 for that in FLAC from bandcamp. I might start using it for finding stuff though. The extra for WAV is just a blatant ripoff.

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

For $12 you can buy the CD... Full quality, you can rip it into whatever format you like, you get all of the artwork that comes with the album, and a pretty CD too.

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #44 of 47
For $12 you can buy the CD... Full quality, you can rip it into whatever format you like, you get all of the artwork that comes with the album, and a pretty CD too.

I'd say 80%+ of Beatport releases don't have a physical release at all. That's part of the problem. Even if they do depending on where you live you're paying about the same price (or more) for the CD/LP as the DL because of international shipping and also waiting 2 weeks.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:
I'd say 80%+ of Beatport releases don't have a physical release at all. That's part of the problem. Even if they do depending on where you live you're paying about the same price (or more) for the CD/LP as the DL because of international shipping and also waiting 2 weeks.

non-physical releases or the bain of my music listening. I want them, and I can't have them. so I get the download, and have no decent way of listening to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back