How do you guys buy your music?
Sep 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #16 of 47
Quote:
 For the same reasons that I would pay for a painting, or a print. But I wouldn't pay to download an image off the internet. Just doesn't seem right.
Like I'm paying for something I'm not actually getting. (Even if I am) I feel there's this kind of barrier between digital and physical things, and that's a barrier that I don't want to pay for and end up trapped behind. So I'm happy just buying cds.
Also buying digital kind of takes away from the experience of buying music, it lacks that 'I just bought something cool' feeling, and there's nothing to touch, or enjoy in that sense.
That's one of the things that draws me to vinyl is that sense of buying something interesting, but I can't justify it. Cd feels like an inbetween medium from vinyl and digital. and that's what I'm good with right now.

I feel you on that one. I've thought about just burning CDs and then printing the art on stock paper on an inkjet printer, so I can at least look at a physical being of my collection. I'm starting to lose interest in vinyl, mostly because I'm so worried about permanent damage done by a worn stylus or something messing up in general. Like, as I've done many times, I went to blow a hair off the needle when a record was playing and whoosh the tip just blew right across the record like it was glass almost. Never happened before when I did the same thing I blew pretty hard, more than usual but still). Now I think my vocals on some stuff sounds kinda funny so I'm out another $20 for another new stylus just to be sure (a microscope examination would cost me no less than $75 for the bench fee at my local hifi shop, the others just do it by ear which isn't good enough for me, I decided). The only thing keeping me here is that I got a $500 turntable for virtually free, and I have hundreds of records to listen to (my dad's collection and I got a big bin of like 80 records for 20 bucks from a guy). It seems silly to not take advantage of that.

Quote:
I agree with this. Although when Amazon hands out free mp3 downloads, I do use them.
redface.gif

Regarding the bulk of my music, I used to have a nice local record shop, but I moved (I think it's still open though, so that's good!). So now I just use Amazon to buy CDs and then rip them so I can take music with me or have it on my PC (where I do most of my listening). I keep the physical CDs in their cases next to my stereo system, and it's CD player (and most of them are in near pristine condition).
smily_headphones1.gif

Same here, I buy CDs from Amazon, rip, and now I'm starting to use the actual CD in my stereo as I noticed the difference Windows makes on the music. It sounded surprisingly unclear by USB from my laptop, so I took my DVD player to my DAC by coax instead and wow, everything was so much sharper and the imaging improved a bit. I had been using the CDs in the stereo all along but I stopped using my stereo for a while, and just hooked up my laptop to play stuff for a bit and just noticed that smear of everything, the fogginess.

Quote:
Haven't paid for a single song ever in my life. I'll start paying for everything when I graduate and get a stable job
redface.gif

I like paying for my music, makes me feel better inside, well not when it's from a big label but the bandcamp stuff it does. If it says name your price I always pay something unless I'm downloading it first to listen to mobile to see if I like it, then I might go back and pay. But paying for the music is part of that physical experience PleasantNoise was talking about; I feel just as detached if I didn't pay for the music. It's just weird.

Quote:
If I hear something I like, I generally acquire the music in this order.

A) Look up the artist's website or bandcamp, see if I can buy the album in FLAC. If not...
B) Get the CD via Amazon Marketplace or eBay and rip it.
C) If I can't get the CD easily (out of stock, or over $30), I'll resort to buying the mp3 from Amazon.

I buy maybe 10 albums a month. 30% thru A, 60% thru B, 10% thru C.

Oh, well if it's on bandcamp I buy the CD if it's available at a good price (like I won't if it's $10 international shipping etc.) and I liked it enough, if not that then the FLAC. Everything else I buy on CD from Amazon, but from an alternate seller. It seems most stuff from alternate sellers plus shipping is cheaper than the actual Amazon price even w/ free shipping (like $15.99 and free shipping vs. $5-10 + $2.98 shipping) and I haven't had a bad experience yet. I also used to buy the vinyl if it was like $20 (in other words not too incredibly marked up from the CD price) but I've recently stopped doing that because of reasons detailed above. I've never listened to something from Zune (my subscription service of choice) and not found it on CD from Amazon, so I don't really have any mp3s since I became a Head-Fi'er (I still have my old iTunes collection though; I literally woke up one afternoon and hated the majority of my music collection all the sudden, like what the heck, so I need to re listen to it, maybe buy some of it again on CD, or not if it's just meh)

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:
 For the same reasons that I would pay for a painting, or a print. But I wouldn't pay to download an image off the internet. Just doesn't seem right.
Like I'm paying for something I'm not actually getting. (Even if I am)

I used to feel that way 10-15 years ago, when my car and home stereo only took redbook CDs and most portable players only supported mp3. Now, I don't care about owning the actual physical medium anymore. Generally because my car radio can now read from a USB stick, my Android plays flac, and my entire library is conveniently on my Squeezebox server at home. I already have a bunch of document boxes full of CDs in the garage and they are just taking room, collecting dust.

Now if I see an album on flac for the same price as the CD, I prefer flac. It's the same quality, and I have it instantly. I wouldn't pay full CD price for a lossy format like mp3 or aac. And I certainly wouldn't spend a dime on anything with DRM.

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #18 of 47
I like paying for my music, makes me feel better inside, well not when it's from a big label but the bandcamp stuff it does. If it says name your price I always pay something unless I'm downloading it first to listen to mobile to see if I like it, then I might go back and pay. But paying for the music is part of that physical experience PleasantNoise was talking about; I feel just as detached if I didn't pay for the music. It's just weird.
I know what you mean. Every time I pay for something, I take all my time to learn more about it and get the most out of it. I do it to music although I don't pay for it, but I think I would be even most invested into listening, like you, if I did.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #19 of 47
Doing anything but listening to a vinyl system while it's playing is a bad idea. You do have to be more careful, but they're extremely rewarding. 

Also...$20 for a new stylus? You're getting off easy. :D

Quote:

I feel you on that one. I've thought about just burning CDs and then printing the art on stock paper on an inkjet printer, so I can at least look at a physical being of my collection. I'm starting to lose interest in vinyl, mostly because I'm so worried about permanent damage done by a worn stylus or something messing up in general. Like, as I've done many times, I went to blow a hair off the needle when a record was playing and whoosh the tip just blew right across the record like it was glass almost. Never happened before when I did the same thing I blew pretty hard, more than usual but still). Now I think my vocals on some stuff sounds kinda funny so I'm out another $20 for another new stylus just to be sure (a microscope examination would cost me no less than $75 for the bench fee at my local hifi shop, the others just do it by ear which isn't good enough for me, I decided). The only thing keeping me here is that I got a $500 turntable for virtually free, and I have hundreds of records to listen to (my dad's collection and I got a big bin of like 80 records for 20 bucks from a guy). It seems silly to not take advantage of that.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:
Doing anything but listening to a vinyl system while it's playing is a bad idea. You do have to be more careful, but they're extremely rewarding. 

Also...$20 for a new stylus? You're getting off easy. :D

I figure that. A few times I have gone to put the needle/arm back in its resting place when the record was over and somehow scratched across the surface of the record by accidentally putting some downwards pressure on the headshell. I even did once after I switched to pulling over with upwards pressure from the lifting arm thing on the headshell. Also, I'm worried about when I'll again miss the edge of a 7" (or have it go backwards and off) and run right on the record mat, I've done that a few times. One isolated incident I had was when the tip got to the ending wax area and somehow missed the pickup groove to the end of the record and just skidded right on the label 
confused.gif

And yeah I know, exactly. Once I upgrade to even $100 tips (on like an Ortofon 2M Red) it pretty much won't be justified for me to mess with vinyl anymore. I need a dustcover...

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #21 of 47
I'll have to look at bandcamp. I remember it being mentioned in some thread a while back but usually too lazy to buy from online sites like that. Usually I order from the artists website if they have one where I can order their CD. If not then there's amazon or ebay and lastly sometimes I go to best buy, b&n, etc and just browse around and somehow always happen to end up in the music section and if something interests me then I just buy it assuming it is at a decent price.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #22 of 47
I've been considering getting custom dust covers for all my stuff lately. LL, 009, Interspace Jr (when it arrives), and Cambridge 851C. 

I cover them with various things already but I think some nice plexi dust covers would look great.
Quote:
I figure that. A few times I have gone to put the needle/arm back in its resting place when the record was over and somehow scratched across the surface of the record by accidentally putting some downwards pressure on the headshell. I even did once after I switched to pulling over with upwards pressure from the lifting arm thing on the headshell. Also, I'm worried about when I'll again miss the edge of a 7" (or have it go backwards and off) and run right on the record mat, I've done that a few times. One isolated incident I had was when the tip got to the ending wax area and somehow missed the pickup groove to the end of the record and just skidded right on the label 
confused.gif

And yeah I know, exactly. Once I upgrade to even $100 tips (on like an Ortofon 2M Red) it pretty much won't be justified for me to mess with vinyl anymore. I need a dustcover...

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:
I've been considering getting custom dust covers for all my stuff lately. LL, 009, Interspace Jr (when it arrives), and Cambridge 851C. 

I cover them with various things already but I think some nice plexi dust covers would look great.

Yeah, I need something to protect my needle from various things while playing, keep me away :)
There were replacement dustcovers for it (turntable) for like $150 on ebay (it's a Dual CS-5000)

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #24 of 47
I'm not a fan of 'legit' TT dust covers. The kind that attach to the TT I mean. I much prefer the 'place over the entire unit' type.

Put on record, put dust cover on. No dust during play and no wibbly wobbly bolted on dust cover (just my paranoia and experience with a much older table).

Quote:
Yeah, I need something to protect my needle from various things while playing, keep me away :)
There were replacement dustcovers for it (turntable) for like $150 on ebay (it's a Dual CS-5000)

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

I used to feel that way 10-15 years ago, when my car and home stereo only took redbook CDs and most portable players only supported mp3. Now, I don't care about owning the actual physical medium anymore. Generally because my car radio can now read from a USB stick, my Android plays flac, and my entire library is conveniently on my Squeezebox server at home. I already have a bunch of document boxes full of CDs in the garage and they are just taking room, collecting dust.

Now if I see an album on flac for the same price as the CD, I prefer flac. It's the same quality, and I have it instantly. I wouldn't pay full CD price for a lossy format like mp3 or aac. And I certainly wouldn't spend a dime on anything with DRM.

I have a cd player, and used to own an ipod, and a few other mp3 players. I always hated the damn things. I hated having to spend time putting music on and off them, ripping and tagging tracks, finding and uploading the album art because the computer programs never found them. Having to charge them via usb annoyed me too, I always went back to the cd player, so when they eventually broke, I didn't replace them, just spent the money on more cds. I haven't looked back. I tend to look at current technology, and the older equivalents, my cd player, amp, and speakers are all older than I am. And yet they still work perfectly, and do everything they should. I don't see a need for something new that isn't designed to last, when the old things are still going strong, doing the same job. (maybe I should be a middle aged-retired man, rather than a teenager)

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #26 of 47
Quote:
I have a cd player, and used to own an ipod, and a few other mp3 players. I always hated the damn things. I hated having to spend time putting music on and off them, ripping and tagging tracks, finding and uploading the album art because the computer programs never found them. Having to charge them via usb annoyed me too, I always went back to the cd player, so when they eventually broke, I didn't replace them, just spent the money on more cds. I haven't looked back. I tend to look at current technology, and the older equivalents, my cd player, amp, and speakers are all older than I am. And yet they still work perfectly, and do everything they should. I don't see a need for something new that isn't designed to last, when the old things are still going strong, doing the same job. (maybe I should be a middle aged-retired man, rather than a teenager)

Well I rip just to have my music on my computer. What if I were going on a road trip? Take it on my laptop, screw taking 100+ CDs with me :p
I'll never stop ripping if I don't have to because it'll be hell trying to rip everything I hadn't already if the time comes around where I could use those digital files...

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #27 of 47
Quote:
Well I rip just to have my music on my computer. What if I were going on a road trip? Take it on my laptop, screw taking 100+ CDs with me :p
I'll never stop ripping if I don't have to because it'll be hell trying to rip everything I hadn't already if the time comes around where I could use those digital files...

I don't get out the house enough it seems
confused_face.gif

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:
I don't get out the house enough it seems
confused_face.gif

Well I go to school (freshman high school currently) and I get chances to listen to music. After college I might be the same way, just go to work where I have all my music on my laptop in a portable rig and then back home I have everything obviously, and I could just take one CD for like a trip to the grocery store or something.

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #29 of 47
I don't buy much, but first vinyl if available, otherwise cd. Both if it's from one of my favorite artists. I also use Spotify a lot.

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #30 of 47
For me - around 90% CD, and the other 10% would be lossless purchases.

CD's generally either online purchases or from local music stores.

Digital downloads mostly from HD Tracks, Bandcamp, or artists own websites.

Whilst I will often download an album to listen (and decide if I actually want to purchase), I always (after evaluating) either delete the download (if I don't like it), or purchase it either digitally or on media (if it's a keeper).  It just wouldn't feel right if I didn't buy it - like I was cheating the artist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back