How do you guys burn-in?
Jan 2, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening to some of my favorite music...

+1

Enjoy your headphones from the very start, and if they change in sound then enjoy the change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David58117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could break in ever damage a headphone?

No, not if you just listen to some of your favourite music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's probably the best method, but pink noise at a normal volume level would do it also, if you don't have time for music.

If you don't have time for music??? But that's the entire reason the headphones were bought in the first place!

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #19 of 33
I've got the Isotek burn-in CD.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by David58117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could break in ever damage a headphone?

No, but it seems to cause brain damage in a lot of people.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #21 of 33
I recall the odd person turning up the volume well beyond the point where it would immediately cause permanent hearing loss and blowing a pair of headphones.

Some of the gear I've had has discrete components that were notorious for changing tonally in all sorts of weird ways over the first 350 hours (to the point you could consistently measure the hours against the changes with multiple units). Experimentation showed that no signal was required, just that the units were left switched on so they'd stay warm, so I left those on for a few weeks (damn the power bill!).

Otherwise, I pink-noise headphones at normal listening levels overnight if they have any tonal annoyances that other people have suggested rectify themselves in the first whatever hours of use. I suspect the changes are logarithmic/exponential, the majority of them happening in the first couple of days and further changes at a much slower rate. However, I've also considered that my brain is adapting to the tonality of gear by comparing my feelings when listening to other gear immediately afterwards and suspect some of the burn-in is actually in my head, but not all.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #22 of 33
Let the beat drop!
happy_face1.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #26 of 33
I generally pick one song that has some decent bass like "Gouge Away" by the pixies and put it on repeat at a level a little bit louder than normal listening level and let it play through the night for the first few nights. I use them normally though the day, I just let them play at night to speed up the process.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't agree with the theory of burn-in, you must have never heard an Ultrasone..

I have the pro 900's
I burning mine in, the bass seems to be more rich. IMO

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #28 of 33
All I do is find a playlist that I like, and let it repeat for a few nights in a row. I figure, the best way to burn in a pair of headphones is with music I enjoy. That being said, I've noticed some changes in my cans (my hd-595 sound better IMO), but much less so in other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back