how do you find new music?
Aug 5, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #31 of 52
used to be into slsk like hardcore into it. had rules to trading and everything. that was like in high school... wow. I migrated to slsk from when audiogalaxy went under. its crazy to think about all that has happened on the internet since then!

Aug 5, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #32 of 52
Most of the smaller independent labels have free mp3s of their bands.. I find a lot like that. also, amazon has free weekly mp3s if you sign up for them. some suck, but there are some nice ones as well. check out the labels Polyvinyl and dead oceans. some nice stuff.

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #34 of 52
Last FM
Just go to group you like and check similar artists list, thousands of possibilities

Allmusic
Just go to group you like and check similar artists list, thousands of possibilities

Amazon.com
Just go to group you like and explore CD lists provided by members of related groups

You can find thousands of great groups this way......only limit is time and money

For dark metal groups I like to explore Lost Souls

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #36 of 52
Independent labels, promotion blogs and Myspace Music. Also just random encounters on youtube and in forums.

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #37 of 52
Looking through labels of artists I like, talking to fellow employees and customers at work (huge record store), Soulseek members and file lists, torrent site users, friends, etc.

Basically, I find new music in every way I can. That said, without the glory that is Soulseek and music torrent sites, my abilities in this regard would be crippled.

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #38 of 52
I am lucky that I live in New York even though I still think L.A. has better radio stations. Anyway, here we have the Fordham University radio station; 90.7 fm. I listen to it all the time. I especially like it from 12am-3am on weeknights. This program called "Echoes" comes on and its all music I've never heard before. A lot of ambient music. Perfect to fall asleep to. But 90.7 has a whole range of very interesting music.

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #39 of 52
Music blogs - I only bother with those I can download albums from like bolachas or sirensound (not that they are to everyones tastes).

I use them (blogs) like record stores - have a listen and if I'm into it, order from the band's site whenever possible, or otherwise group an order on amazon or similar. I know many people are against the idea of downloading, but I have bought so much music that I would otherwise have never had a chance of finding, that (for me) it is justified.

Music is a generous privilege offered to us in good faith - and I am happy to help any artist who has helped me.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Allow me an older guy moment. I still marvel at how blessed we are with the internet. The options are endless for discovery and enjoyment whether online retailers, social sites, blogs, or direct form artist. I'm a kid in a candy store. I think this is a golden age for music lovers, well until the next great advance materializes.
gs1000.gif

As a fellow old guy, I agree. I've been interested in not-so-mainstream music since I was in my teens, and I can remember how difficult it was to find anything outside of the usual Top 40 garbage. The best thing I had was Tower Records and a wonderful music store called "Slipped Disc", in Elmont, NY. And WLIR radio, on Long Island. But now it's incredibly easy to find music - it's almost overwhelming.

My only complaint with today is that it could be so much better! In particular, I'd like to see more lossless downloadable music on mainstream sites like Amazon. Also, I personally think iTunes could be improved as far as reducing DRM and supporting open source formats like OGG Vorbis and FLAC.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #43 of 52
it's all for profit though. while i'm not supporting iTunes/Amazon's practice, it is good business for them to sell .mp3's - they download fast and are almost universally supported. they could offer alternate FLAC downloads at a higher price however.

itunes' DRM is another story. it's very stupid, as all you have to do to get around it is burn a CD of the music you just purchased. would be great if they just got rid of it and offered .mp3 or (even better) apple lossless downloads instead.

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #44 of 52
what i do is mostly just pay attention to people that like the same bands as me (Tool, NiN, Porcupine Tree) and see what else they like. Also, as i'm an album person, i'll browse around peoples "top 10 albums" lists, etc.

If i find a band, i usually look em up on sputnikmusic.com and see what their best album is.

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a fellow old guy, I agree. I've been interested in not-so-mainstream music since I was in my teens, and I can remember how difficult it was to find anything outside of the usual Top 40 garbage. The best thing I had was Tower Records and a wonderful music store called "Slipped Disc", in Elmont, NY. And WLIR radio, on Long Island. But now it's incredibly easy to find music - it's almost overwhelming.

My only complaint with today is that it could be so much better! In particular, I'd like to see more lossless downloadable music on mainstream sites like Amazon. Also, I personally think iTunes could be improved as far as reducing DRM and supporting open source formats like OGG Vorbis and FLAC.

Im not old yet but I agree. ogg and flac = awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back