how do you find new music?
Aug 18, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #46 of 52
LastFM, but mostly Rhapsody. I can listen to full songs, on the fly of pretty much every artist for a mere $12/mo. I have discovered more music than I ever could any other way because I actually get to hear the full song and then decide of I want to go out and buy it. And from any computer, work, home, traveling ect...

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #47 of 52
Last.FM (more often by trawling through 'top listeners' profiles, rather than the 'similar artists' list), allmusic.com, friends' recommendations, looking at bands that influences the bands I currently like, looking up the soundtracks of movies I've liked and seeing who contributed to the orchestration or 'songs', looking for music based around movies/books/games I like, NOT judging a band by its name, or an album name, or the band's appearance, finding people who plays weird instruments I like, and seeing who else plays it (eg Chapman stick), seeing who has collaborated with artists I already like, having a 5h1tl0ad of spare hard drive space to burn hahaha

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #50 of 52
This music forum is a good place. I've bought a few dozen discs from recommendations here and have liked almost all of them. There are a lot of members with great taste in music.

On the commute to work in the morning, I like to turn on Morning Becomes Eclectic (Morning Becomes Eclectic - KCRW) that airs on 89.9FM in Los Angeles. I like most of what they play and browse the playlist when something catches my ear.

Another local station I love is KJAZZ 88.1FM (KJAZZ 88.1 FM | America's Jazz and Blues Station). Listening to KJAZZ got me into jazz; if I hear something I like, I'll pick it up.

vcoheda's suggestion of Amazon is a good one. If I love a record, I'll go to Amazon and see what other people liked. I've found lots of great music that way.

I've got a close friend out in Phoenix who plays in a band and has an encyclopedic knowledge of rock - I get a lot of recommendations from him. My cousin the vinyl hound (something like 6,000 LPs) is into trippy rock, jazz and roots - more recommendations there. And my friend and co-worker Cowboy Nick (Twang with Cowboy Nick) keeps me up on country/roots.

I also dig around antique shops, junk stores, thrift shops, garage sales, and anywhere else I can find used vinyl. If it looks interesting, I buy it. I've found great music I never even knew existed. The turntable might have been the best investment I've made.

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #51 of 52
Mostly by looking through the top selling artist/albums on iTunes Store.
But also from reading threads around here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back