How do You Feel in Your Heart? Irish, Chinese, Italian, German, French, Russian, ...?
Feb 19, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #46 of 77
I feel English - because I am
icon10.gif

I also allow for my fellow Brits to celebrate being Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish.

I tolerate being European and would acknowledge I come from planet Earth too.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #47 of 77
I'm American. My parents seem to feel more Irish (dad) and English (mom) and would probably describe themselves as such. But since only one of my grandparents was a direct immigrant (my maternal grandfather came from England when he was in his early 30s), I simply see myself as an American.

Of course I wish I was at least a little bit (even 10%) Jamaican because I just love the way they talk and their strong nationalistic ties, but that's just me being silly.

Lately I've been telling people that I'm almost 25% Caymanian because I've been here 10+ years and am 44 years old. I'll say "What difference does it make where my parents and grandparenets are from? I'm talking about me!"

Feb 19, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #49 of 77
My racial background is Filipino, but I was born in Chicago and lived here in America my entire life. I really don't have a connection with the Phillippines to be honest, other than the Filipino food my parents would cook in the house while growing up. My nationality is true and true American, and my blood really runs thick with apple pie, baseball, and lots of beef. I plan on being an American for the rest of my life, and am very proud and blessed of the home that America has provided for myself and my future family with my wife.

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #51 of 77
American anglo-mutt!

My paternal grandfather's side of the family has been traced back to the 14th century England. There are family reunions every year in England (my cousins have gone). Once upon a time, my family seems to have owned quite of a bit of land (there is still a website for the family estate), and one ancestor was a founder of Eton. Some upstarts came to the colonies in the 1700s, but later fled to Canada right before the war because they were Tories. As happens, my direct lineage is less glamorous. The story goes that my great grandfather had a fishing boat that he took back and forth from Sarnia, Ont to MI. One night he got drunk and never went home. Immigration at its best!

My paternal grandmother was French Canadian, and came to the US to get factory work during WWI. As far back as any one knows, they were all poor famers. Much of her family is in the London, Ontario region today.

My maternal grandmother is 100% German. My great grandmother used to scare me as a little girl because she wore all black and didn't speak English; my maternal grandfather's family is a mystery, and best guess is, based on stories, an English/German mix. This side of the family was also always, as far as anyone can find, poor farmers as well. My mother had clothing made from chicken feed sacks, and owned two pairs of shoes: one for Sundays, one for working on the farm and going to school.

Hope I bored no one with my little history. I find all of this most interesting, and not just my family's hx, but the general movement of people across time and countries. Fascinating stuff.

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #54 of 77
I was born and raise in Ireland, so obviously I feel Irish. But I'm aware of the fact that we're a mix of everything from Vikings to Spaniards. A mongrel and proud of it.
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #55 of 77
I feel like a westerner.... seriously.... everyone out here goes "back east" or "down south" or "back west" when they refer to someplace else... somehow, the west is not oriented as "home" to people! so i say, CA is my home and this is where i'm rooted
cool.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #56 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jPoDTGN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah...um...Jewish isnt an ethnicity.....

Actually, it is. The religion is Judaism. There are obviously very strong ties, and any converts to Judaism are considered part of the Jewish nationality. I'm not either (Christian Canadian) but it's good to be informed!

Feb 19, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #59 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by AsuAmo76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, there supposed to be 9 times more americans than canadians, not 1.8 times. What's going on on in this world and more important on this site?

It tells me that the Canadians enjoy life more than the Americans.... Or the Canadians have head-fi as the only entertainment....
icon10.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #60 of 77
Hmmm. Because I couldn't vote for two, I decided not to vote. I am unquestionably American, and there i no doubt about that. I was born and raised in Washington D.C. and my maternal grandfather's side my great great grandfather fought for the Union while his brother fought for the confederacy so my family has been in the US for generations.

On the other hand I am born and raised 100% jewish and although I am not highly religious (reform) I do identify as a Jew. My fathers family came to the US much later and I have relatives throughout Europe and several (including my aunt, uncle and first cousins) in Israel. I do think Judaism is an ethnicity because unlike other religions it is not (until recently) tied to a certain geographic region where it is near autonomous. I feel strong ties with Israel and have close family there, but I've never lived there so I am certainly not Israeli. But I am undeniably Jewish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back