How do you discover similar artists?
Sep 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

DeusEx

Headphoneus Supremus
Are there any very good recommendation software/websites out there? For example, I listen to a specific pop rock singer, and it's great, but once you've listened to tracks more than a 2 or 3 dozen times, it tends to get a bit over the edge. Are there any exceptional software/websites out there that will actually give good recommendations for very similar sounding artists? This is mostly for my pop/rock collection, since I'm very familiar with what I want in my classical/instrumental/soundtrack music, I've listened to classical music for over a decade, and it's quite easy to find what film/game soundtracks are good, since there are only a few soundtrack composers (i.e. John Williams, Hans Zimmer).

For pop, I usually listen to more of a pop rock style, upbeat, individual vocals, like Avril Lavigne, Natasha Bedingfeld, Hilary Duff (okay, she sounds surprisingly decent), as well as more lightly synthesized pop like Ashley Tisdale, as well as some Eurodance like Cascada and Lucky Twice. Also, I listen to good-sized amount of Korean and Japanese pop, (KPop/JPop), such as Younha, Chae Yeon, Kara, and Nami Tamaki. Again, there's a mix of pop rock and light electronic. I also recently happened to listen to some indie pop music (female vocals/guitar)...Priscilla Ahn is amazing. But that's a very narrow genre for me, only when I'm stressed out, and want something calming...

For rock, I usually stick with alternative/light punk rock, nothing heavy/hardcore/metal. Examples are Blink-182, The Offspring, All-American Rejects, and Boys like Girls. Also, Ellegarden, and The Hiatus, both J-Rockbands (although lead singer sings in perfect english).

P.S. I don't use iTunes for music (only for iPhone updates), Foobar2000 here.

Basically, I haven't really gone through my music collection until now (new audio setup, speakers, dap, headphones, IEMs all purchased this year...spent almost two grand). And even though I have a 50GB music collection, 99% of it is either classical, soundtrack, or trailer music, and I've found that I really want to listen to more vocals/popular music with my SE530s...have a last.fm account but never really used it..

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 33
I find Pandora best for this sort of thing.

EDIT: Number 2. is posting a topic in the music board: "Other artists like X, Y, and Z?" I usually end up loving a lot of the artists I get recommended, I made a prog thread and it's been a goldmine for me.

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 33
Last.fm does wonders for me,
icon10.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 33
I use last.fm and the music forums here. If someone makes a post about "10 best current albums" and includes one or two I like, I try the rest.

I also read some of the music review sites like pitchfork.

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 33
The only thing I listen to on FM Radio is NPR, and that's only if my mp3 player runs out of battery life (I usually have it hooked up to the aux jack in the car)...it ain't that great, FM radio...

Seems like last.fm is the way to go. I'll go revisit my account. How's Pandora? Are they similar? Is last.fm still streamed in 128 kbps mp3?

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 33
I was having a bit of a go at your pop tastes. Forgive me
smily_headphones1.gif

In all seriousness, Pandora is really excellent, as is Last.fm. A good portion of it seems to be based on the library of other people who also have what you have. Expect a lot of Miley Cyrus, is what I'm saying.

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 33
The thing is, her music actually sounds decent, the only fact being I CANNOT stand her voice...or I'd actually start listening to her...well, I guess it also has something to do with me being the same age as her...maybe I'll grow out of it..

But seriously, I'm much more involved with classical and soundtrack music, than pop/rock. It's more of a casual, fun listen.

How do internet radio sites like Last or Pandora have such an extensive collection of music? I know it's not pulled from individual user hard drives...

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #12 of 33
Have you tried Amazon? I've found many helpful recommendations in their suggestions and reviews of music you like frequently mention other artists the reviewer enjoys. I've found plenty of good music that way.

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried Amazon? I've found many helpful recommendations in their suggestions and reviews of music you like frequently mention other artists the reviewer enjoys. I've found plenty of good music that way.

This is what I use, you can listen to the entire album before you decide to buy.

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #15 of 33
Sputnikmusic.com for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back