How do you discover similar artists?
Sep 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #16 of 33
Been on Last.fm for a couple hrs now, it's a lot better than I remembered a few years ago. Found a few similar artists, some good recommendations! The site has become huge!

The problem with Amazon is that it have absolutely no korean/japanese music, as opposed to last.fm, but for the other stuff, it's a good look too, absolutely forgot about the recommendation engine there.

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #17 of 33
Last.fm is the best, above even Pandora. Thats how I discovered Duncan Browne, the Decemberists, and Elbow. Another good route is rateyourmusic.com if you like certain genres, where they can categorize by best reviews within very specific genres. I have found their user-written reviews much better than anywhere else, including metacritic and amazon.

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #18 of 33
Also, last.fm has surprisingly decent SQ, (is it 128?). I mean, it's actually listenable on my 1K computer audio setup...at least for demoing.

Anyone heard of Imeem?

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #19 of 33
All Music Guide and the Music Forum on this site ... I discovered loads of stuff from a few classical and metal threads. And spent a ton of $$ getting the CDs ...

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #20 of 33
Okay, so what does Spotify do? Just heard of it today...and Musicovery?

last.fm is fine, although with my audio setup, its starting to reveal its quality...been having it on several hours a day, now.

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spotify doesn't work in the US so you'll have to use a proxy if you want to check that out.

I did read that, but thanks anyway! Just wondering if anyone's tried either? Spotify is said to instant load, at 160 kbps?

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #23 of 33
Amazon does this thing when selecting a cd it lists other cd under the heading "customers who bought this also bought" and then lists similar music. The nice thing about Amazon is you csan listen to clips.

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #24 of 33
I personally like pandora. Or just poking around the "music" section of these forums.
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried Amazon? I've found many helpful recommendations in their suggestions and reviews of music you like frequently mention other artists the reviewer enjoys. I've found plenty of good music that way.

x3

I use Amazon, iTunes Store/Genius, Last.fm, and Pandora. With that setup you are likely to find good stuff you have never heard before.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #27 of 33
Im really eclectic in my tastes. While I like almost all genres, I find that I am exceptionally specific in my tastes within each genre. Artists that Im often recommended that supposedly have a similar feel/sound rarely do it for me. Programs or web sites that offer recommendations dont usually fit either. Luckily a large portion of my music is trance and thats the easiest genre to find new artists as well as being self explanatory how.

Honestly, I find most of the new music I like from music videos of some sort; gaming frag videos, anime music videos, etc. People who make those tend to seek out the most original and catchy/good songs they can.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #29 of 33
Mostly iTunes Store...
Although I search through Google and other websites as well.

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by miloxo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last.fm does wonders for me,
icon10.gif

Me too... rates bands/artists that are similar and has extensive details, very very handy I have listened to a lot of music because of that site!
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back