How Do You Discover Music?
Jul 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #91 of 143
For me, it is by random purchases of second hand CDs, only $1 or so each, so - if they're not to my liking, no harm done - but, if I do like them, then I go hunting for the back catalogues!

Yeah, makes sense. Local library is having annual used book sale for Independence Day (includes CDs). Unfortunately, I missed the 1st day & the good stuff was gone already. Found a lot of gems last time...

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #92 of 143
Just as an FYI, I will be slowly editing my OP to include the ideas given here so interested readers don't have to slog through pages and pages of recommendations.  Just give me some time as I have a lot on my plate 
etysmile.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #94 of 143
I'm sure this has been mentioned at some point, but now that digital has taken over as America's preferred method of music consumption, all of my local libraries' CD collections have exploded as donors are coming out of the woodwork! I'm able to check out 5-6  CDs a week, the majority of it new to my ears! Oh and the best part? They're free.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #95 of 143
I listen to the A State of Trance weekly podcast and note any tracks I like, which I end up buying off Google Play Music(320kbps FTW:). I then find other songs by those artists and similar ones, and quite often I buy older artist album CDs off Amazon or from HMV.

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #98 of 143
I discovered most of the music I listen to by browsing music forums and getting suggestions from other people for new bands that were similar. The only music site I visit is sputnikmusic.com.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #99 of 143
Most of the music I discover these days is on YouTube. Back when MySpace was king, I use to find many local underground bands. Now, I can't, or that I don't know of any other site were you can search for local talent :frowning2:

I did try Last.fm and Spotify, but they don't cut it for me unfortunately,

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #100 of 143
I used to be a strict Dubstep, electronic instrumentalic kind of music before i delved into Audio Enthusiasm.

Well, hearing others say how Grado headphones shine with rock music, not a suprise that i started listening to more rock. preferably Euro rock and soft rock is my liking.

Sometimes thats how you find out thru wanting to know the sound of your equipment from different genres.

by Then, i found about Gorillaz very bleak-like. its hard to explain but when i got more into gorillaz by listening to their music (ehem, via Youtube..) i just became more drawn in to their music, how the whole project started, and wow how interesting the artwork is. And how lifelike a cartoon, fictional band felt so realistic.

in simple terms, Self Discovery, Word-Of-Mouth, Advertisements, and personal interests/ curiosity is typically how i would find my music.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #101 of 143
Originally Posted by lee730 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yet much of the stuff of today is a far cry away from the quality of yesteryear ;(.

Sure, if you're only listening to the stuff on the radio.  Search for your favorite genre on bandcamp.  I'm sure you'll find something that blows your mind.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #102 of 143
  Most of the music I discover these days is on YouTube. Back when MySpace was king, I use to find many local underground bands. Now, I can't, or that I don't know of any other site were you can search for local talent :frowning2:

I did try Last.fm and Spotify, but they don't cut it for me unfortunately,

Again, try bandcamp.  You can search for artists by location.

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #103 of 143
  Sure, if you're only listening to the stuff on the radio.  Search for your favorite genre on bandcamp.  I'm sure you'll find something that blows your mind.

I never said all music. I said most. Especially dealing with mainstream and that is just what it is. Of course this is my opinion. The quality of older music (early 90s and before that) was just simply better IMO (that includes dynamic range).

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #104 of 143
This is not universally accessible but if your local library or university/college have subscribed to the Naxos Music Library, they have more than 80,000 albums available for sampling. The collection is mainly classical recording, a lot of Jazz and some audiobooks. The standard streaming quality leaves a lot to be desired but it is free (for me at least) so I am happy enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back