How Do You Discover Music?
Oct 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #121 of 143
Spotify Discover. It would recommend you artists/albums/tracks related to what you listened a lot.

Also, I often manually search for artists I don't know by checking their 'related artists' on Spotify. If they have more than 3 or 5 related artists that I like, chances are I would like them as well.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #122 of 143
For classical music: I rummage through CD bins at used record stores and follow my instincts.

For classic rock: I immerse myself in a particular band to the point where I end up buying all their albums over a few months.

For indie rock: My daughter - what she likes, I usually end up liking as well.

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #123 of 143
It really depends. The discoveries variate from either self-discovery or recommendations. Presently, I've discovered Last.fm and have found the website to be a very useful tool in music discovery. Another wonderful website for music discovery is Pandora. However, a habit I have recently picked up ever since venturing into Vinyl is picking records based solely on their artwork. This method is definitely a hit or miss but I've been lucky so far. : - )

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #126 of 143
To add to the Rate Your Music recommendation above, I would suggest taking a look at the different charts to possibly find some new gems you've never even heard of. Below are links to some examples of custom charts, but feel free to experiment with different search criteria to tailor the results to what you are looking for. All charts below include sub-genres along with archival and live releases, where applicable.

Top albums of all time

Top albums of the 00s

Top jazz albums of all time

Top jazz albums of the 50s

Top electronic albums of all time

Top electronic albums of the 70s

Top metal albums of all time

Top metal albums of the 80s

Top sludge metal albums of all time

Esoteric albums from all time (highly-rated albums with a small number of ratings)

Edit:
Don't forget to search for EPs too!

Top EPs of all time

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #127 of 143
^ Of course that is the site's best feature. No idea how I could forget to metion that 
ph34r.gif

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #128 of 143
Have only skimmed this thread, so I may have missed this somewhere in the middle, but aside from reviews (NY Times, JazzTimes), I find listening the the WFMU.org streams (they have a few, with live shows, archives, themed threads) lets me hear music that I wind up searching for within minutes. Worth a listen (reviews are nice, but hearing something that knocks you out can't be beat). The "Give the Drummer Some" is particularly great if you're an omniverous music junkie-they play everything, rock (old, current), jazz (20's, bop, free, swing), country, international...no classical, otherwise stuff you may never hear anywhere else!

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #131 of 143
In addition to the radio stations on this page http://radiobit.50webs.com which includes the 320 Kbps Linn stations, I have done some listening to Pandora and to iTunes Radio. This is a service similar to Pandora, it is free with a few ads, but it sounds pretty good despite what I assume is a low bit rate.

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #132 of 143
64K AAC for mobile. 128/192 (with subscription) for PC. :frowning2:

Pandora, it is free with a few ads, but it sounds pretty good despite what I assume is a low bit rate.

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #133 of 143
64K AAC for mobile. 128/192 (with subscription) for PC. :frowning2:

My reference wasn't to Pandora which has the bit rates you mention, it was to iTunes Radio which is similar to Pandora but I think sounds better. I don't know the bit rate of iTunes Radio but I assume that it is pretty low. The 320 bit rate for Linn Classical, Linn Jazz and Linn Radio sounds better, of course.

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #134 of 143
Ah, ok. I love the Linn streams. :). I've not used the iTunes Radio much yet.....

My reference wasn't to Pandora which has the bit rates you mention, it was to iTunes Radio which is similar to Pandora but I think sounds better. I don't know the bit rate of iTunes Radio but I assume that it is pretty low. The 320 bit rate for Linn Classical, Linn Jazz and Linn Radio sounds better, of course.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #135 of 143
Mog is like Spotify and some of the other streaming sites, has higher bit rates than many and good sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back