How do unamped Grado 225s fare with an iPod Classic?
May 15, 2008 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Daveed84

100+ Head-Fier
I own a pair of SR-80s and they work fantastically with my iPod. They don't get incredibly loud, but they get as loud as I need them to go.

I'm looking to upgrade, having become addicted to the infamous Grado sound, and I have my eye on the SR-225. I could also go for the SR-125 if the price makes it worth it, but I think I'd like to go with the SR-225. I don't want to buy an amp, mainly just so I can keep things as portable and simple as plugging in the headphones and taking my iPod around with me.

The impedance seems to be the same, but are there any other factors that I don't know about (audiophile newbie!) that might affect how they'll sound or how loud they'll go with the iPod?

Thanks in advance...

May 15, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 23
they'll do well with your ipod
wink.gif

skip 125, and jump to 325i or 225, depending on your preference.

325is are fatiguing, but are very edgy.

225s are more polite.

May 15, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they'll do well with your ipod
wink.gif

skip 125, and jump to 325i or 225, depending on your preference.

325is are fatiguing, but are very edgy.

225s are more polite.

I once again agree with Rednamalas1
smily_headphones1.gif
. I would skip the 125 and go to the 225. The 325i are more fatiguing because of the highs. The highs on the 325i are a lot more prominent than the SR225.

Also, they will do fine out of your Ipod.

May 15, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once again agree with Rednamalas1
smily_headphones1.gif
. I would skip the 125 and go to the 225. The 325i are more fatiguing because of the highs. The highs on the 325i are a lot more prominent than the SR225.

Also, they will do fine out of your Ipod.

Yeah, I've pretty much settled for the 225s. At this point I'm just wondering if the difference in sound quality without an amp is going to be a big enough jump for me. Every review I'm reading is making me salivate like a proper Grado fanboy... They all say they're the perfect rock cans and that the increase in SQ from the 80s to the 225s is good. I can't wait for the Stimulus check from the government...
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveed84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I've pretty much settled for the 225s. At this point I'm just wondering if the difference in sound quality without an amp is going to be a big enough jump for me. Every review I'm reading is making me salivate like a proper Grado fanboy... They all say they're the perfect rock cans and that the increase in SQ from the 80s to the 225s is good. I can't wait for the Stimulus check from the government...
biggrin.gif

Update the thread and let us know how you like it when it comes in. It is a good jump in SQ from the SR80s to the SR225.

Those reviews are dangerous aren't they. Best of luck
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 325i are more fatiguing because of the highs. The highs on the 325i are a lot more prominent than the SR225.

The problem with the peaky highs basically disappears, at least with the SR225, using an iPod (5G in my case) as the source as opposed to a more revealing source and amp.

May 15, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 23
My SR225's rock straight out of my 5.5g iPod. In fact at the Seattle meet I tried them amped and did not notice that big of a differance with the Grados. Now Senn's and my 701's, those had a big differance amped.

May 15, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 23
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if you are looking at the 225's compared to your 80's they have a 1/4" jack instead of the 1/8". I would suggest that you get a flexable 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor as a solid one sticks out pretty far from the iPod. It also leaves your jack vunerable to abuse from the extra leverage. So look into getting the Grado adaptor IMHO.

May 15, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 23
Yeah, I've read that Grados don't greatly benefit from the use of an amp. I ended up buying the SR-225 (and the adapter cable, thanks for reminding me
smily_headphones1.gif
). I'll post my impressions sometime towards the end of next week, I have to let these babies burn in first!

May 15, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SR225's rock straight out of my 5.5g iPod. In fact at the Seattle meet I tried them amped and did not notice that big of a differance with the Grados. Now Senn's and my 701's, those had a big differance amped.

I completely agree. When I first tried mine I thought they sounded way better when I amped the headphone output of my ipod- then I double checked and there was no difference whatsoever to my ears. I found the only thing that made a difference was amping the line-out signal only because it bypasses the internal amp and it's frequency response characteristics. Overall they don't strike me as power-hungry cans like the K701, you'll be more than happy with the sound from the headphone jack.

May 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if you are looking at the 225's compared to your 80's they have a 1/4" jack instead of the 1/8". I would suggest that you get a flexable 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor as a solid one sticks out pretty far from the iPod. It also leaves your jack vunerable to abuse from the extra leverage. So look into getting the Grado adaptor IMHO.

Great suggestion crewchief. I have that adapter and it works great for converting 1/4 to 1/8 because it is flexible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good stuff
biggrin.gif

methinks you'll be getting RS1 sooner or later
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't do it
wink.gif
. Protect your wallet

May 15, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #14 of 23
I just ordered a classic 80g. It is time to retire my 4g 20G black screen. It is still on the same batteries going on 3 years this sept.Using it everyday at work and recharging at night.Gotta love IPODS.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #15 of 23
I thoroughly disagree with the drift of this thread. How many of the people here with Grados use them directly out of an ipod? Grados maybe don't need amping out of a soundcard or other home source as much as many other headphones do, but used portably they are the poster child for needing an amp. Bass and mids fill out and tighten, and the headphones just become more musical. In some ways, I'd prefer to have an amped SR-60 than an unamped SR-225 in a portable rig, because at least I could hear that the 60 was giving its all, while with an unamped 225, I'd be constantly be annoyed at the telltale sound of an underdriven headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back