How do unamped Grado 225s fare with an iPod Classic?
May 16, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #16 of 23
I'm totally with that. My 80s and 325s are fine directly out of my iPod, but adding an amp moves them up a couple of big notches. I listen without the amp a lot, because it's a bother and the sound is adequate, but I'm always surprised at the difference with the amp added. If you really care about the sound, an amp is worth it. If all you're looking for is the lack of definite bad, without an amp is fine. But if that's the case, stick with your 80s. In fact, sticking with your 80s and buying an amp with the money you'd spend on 325s would be a better move than buying 325s but not being able to afford an amp.

May 16, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdarnton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm totally with that. My 80s and 325s are fine directly out of my iPod, but adding an amp moves them up a couple of big notches. I listen without the amp a lot, because it's a bother and the sound is adequate, but I'm always surprised at the difference with the amp added. If you really care about the sound, an amp is worth it. If all you're looking for is the lack of definite bad, without an amp is fine. But if that's the case, stick with your 80s. In fact, sticking with your 80s and buying an amp with the money you'd spend on 325s would be a better move than buying 325s but not being able to afford an amp.

Ah well, too late now, already ordered. I guess I have 30 days to try them out and return them if they somehow fail to wow me.

As for getting the RS-1, well, I'm already planning the funeral arrangements for my wallet.
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #18 of 23
OK, they are here, and I have tested them out on a few songs.

Day 1 impressions: They sound noticeably better, fuller, than my burned-in SR80s. I can only image the difference when they are properly burned in. Everything is more noticeable, even if I'm not paying attention to it. The bass especially is more apparent; I'm hearing changes in basslines without trying. On a few songs I can hear backing vocals that I never knew were there. No new instruments yet, at least not on the songs I've listened to so far (U2, Boston, Radiohead).

At this point, Buyer's Remorse is starting to sink in, but not out of disappointment, because I'm not disappointed at all. It's the justification of the price... it's either keeping these, or food for a month. Or a car payment. They're better, to be sure, but as of right now, I can't justify the price. I'll wait a couple weeks and decide then.

May 19, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveed84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, they are here, and I have tested them out on a few songs.

Day 1 impressions: They sound noticeably better, fuller, than my burned-in SR80s. I can only image the difference when they are properly burned in. Everything is more noticeable, even if I'm not paying attention to it. The bass especially is more apparent; I'm hearing changes in basslines without trying. On a few songs I can hear backing vocals that I never knew were there. No new instruments yet, at least not on the songs I've listened to so far (U2, Boston, Radiohead).

At this point, Buyer's Remorse is starting to sink in, but not out of disappointment, because I'm not disappointed at all. It's the justification of the price... it's either keeping these, or food for a month. Or a car payment. They're better, to be sure, but as of right now, I can't justify the price. I'll wait a couple weeks and decide then.

Yup I would give them a couple of weeks to get a good feel on how you really like them opposed to the SR80s. As I mentioned earlier it is a good jump in SQ, but is it the point of diminishing returns for you? Only you can decide that. Even if you get an amp, yes you would probably notice a difference, but is it enough for you to really keep an amp? Here's an example, I have a friend that is able to listen to my gear and he has a DT880 and K701s and had a SR60 and SR80. When he used my Singlepower amp with SinglePower Slam and HP100 and his computer or Ipod as the source he couldn't tell much of a difference. Now when he had the DA100 or DAC1 as the source he said it sounded better than his computer and Ipod, but not enough to have him upgrade his source or get an amp. On the flip side I have someone that had K240S and loves them straight from an external Creative Labs soundcard. He just added a $200 amp and he says it is a lot better. See what I mean. Everyone is different in what they hear or when is good for them is good enough. Best of luck to you on your journey.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Yeah, I've pretty much settled for the 225s. At this point I'm just wondering if the difference in sound quality without an amp is going to be a big enough jump for me. Every review I'm reading is making me salivate like a proper Grado fanboy... They all say they're the perfect rock cans and that the increase in SQ from the 80s to the 225s is good. I can't wait for the Stimulus check from the government...
biggrin.gif

I had the SR-80 as my first real headphone. I auditioned the 225's and it's obvious that the SR-225 sound better. How much better? 100% better? Maybe. Definitely 50% better, FWIW. I had the 325's and they were fatiguing big time. They were bright as the sun to me. I don't use an amp 90% of the time b/c
1. I'm lazy
2. the SR-225's already sound good
3. With my amp, all I notice is deeper, tighter bass, but not much else. I also wonder how much an amp interprets the final sound. Does the amp wash away the Grado sound? I don't know.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Just found this thread. I can't believe that no one recommend MS1's to you. If you are truly not going to get an amp, send the 225's back and get the MS1's. Still a noticable upgrade, but you are only out $100. I just sold a pair of SR80's for $75 so you would be out even less.

Jul 27, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just found this thread. I can't believe that no one recommend MS1's to you. If you are truly not going to get an amp, send the 225's back and get the MS1's. Still a noticable upgrade, but you are only out $100. I just sold a pair of SR80's for $75 so you would be out even less.

I bought an amp (Headroom Total Airhead) and it doesn't make much of a difference, but I kept it anyway. I love my SR-225s and I shipped my SR-80s to a friend in England (not sure if I mentioned that already, too lazy to go back and check). I've read up on the MS1's and considered getting them but decided against it. I'm happy with what I have now, and I guess that's really all that matters, isn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #23 of 23
The SR-225's run well out of an ipod classic. I use that, and the bass is what you really notice. I do have a Xin superdual amp, which probably is not a great amp, and it tightens the bass but doesn't really do much more than that. I had a RSA SR-71 that added more to the music, but I too am curious as to how much better they can sound with the right amp.

I actually am one of those people who wants to believe that amps add a huge amount to your listening pleasure, but I honestly have not heard the difference! That's why I posted in 2003-2004 alot and then gave up, only to give it another try.

Now that you know that my ears consistently have told me SR-225's aren't that affected by amps, let me share this:

I went to an audio store the other day and they actually let me demo every Grado headphone. Being familiar with the SR-60, 180, 125, I started right with the SR-225. It was essentially the same as my pair. Then I went to the SR-325 and it wasn't really better or worse; the bass was noticeably less and the soundstage was a bit wider and probably overall more delicate.
I went to the RS-1 and I didn't like them. The headphones are the standard ones, but for some reason they sounded muffled to me, but I'm pretty sure it's just the difference b/w the flat and bowl pads. Then I went to the GS-1000 with those oversized jumbo earpads, but dear goodness, those were the best headphones that I've ever used. Separation, clarity, tighter bass, crystal smooth vocals, it was great.....ALL UNAMPED straight from my ipod 5G.

My conclusion is that since it is possible for me to detect noticeable differences in the grado line, hopefully my issue is not my ears. Many people say there are only subtle differences from the SR-225 on up, but I can tell. If my Xin superdual is the limiting issue, then by all means I'm going to get a proper headphone amp and see how things go from there. If I had the money I would get the GS-1000.

I also tried the AKG-701 and was also impressed. I left thinking that there may still be alot of room in trying to reach ultimate sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back