How Do the ATH-M50s handle classical music?
Oct 6, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Not as well as something like the SRH440 or especially the DT250 (mostly due to soundstage, separation, and balance)

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 8
My concern is that I often listen to classic/hard rock, funk, and many other diverse types of music, however I'm looking for headphones that will perform in those genres but also do a decent job with classical. I definately dont mainly listen to classical, but when I do I want to enjoy it.

How about the SRH840?

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 8
IMO the DT250 is the most versatile closed can I have heard. Everything sounds good on it. Though I haven't heard them, the SRH840 would be a step up from the 440's though they are less neutral from what I have read (leaning more toward a darker sound).

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 8
pianos just dont sound good on m50, but all others do. and i like how bass and volin sound on mine.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 8
I much preferred the 840 for overall genre representation. The M50s do best with genres that aren't mid-centric. The 840s have funny fit issues for some people though (myself included). Your best bet it to head down to the nearest shop or guitar center and try them both out. Neither needs an amp, so straight out of an mp3 player will be fine. The Q40 is also a strong contender, and sounds better than the other two (in my opinion) when amped.

Oct 8, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Are the ATH M50s a good choice for classical and Jazz etc.?

Classical is pretty much the M50's kryptonite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back