How do ms2i and sr225 compare?
Jan 19, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #16 of 27
I don't think that 225's bass is muddy either. I suppose it depends on what you compare it to and what rig you are using. Would anyone say that the soundstage on the ms2 equals a senn soundstage? or does the ms2 still have that forwardness and punch I have grown to love with grados.

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would anyone say that the soundstage on the ms2 equals a senn soundstage?

Anyone that said that would either be lying or never heard a higher end Senn. An HD-25 maybe.

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #18 of 27
I definitely liked the MS2i that I heard (and I've owned the SR225 but sold them) In fact, they were Absorbine_Sr's, and out of his Zana Deux, this was a fantastic combo. Definitely more of a grado soundstage, but more refined in details and prat. Basically echoing others' posts.

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone that said that would either be lying or never heard a higher end Senn. An HD-25 maybe.

I had some hd580's but never heard an MS1 or ms2i so am not sure how they would sound. I know I did not like the 580's much though.

I am just trying to get an idea of what an ms2i would sound like.

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

I had some hd580's but never heard an MS1 or ms2i so am not sure how they would sound. I know I did not like the 580's much though.

MS2i .... the same Grado bass/ dynamic punch, not as midrange forward as the 225/325, not as strident in the upper frequencies as the 325. The MS2i is more neutral sounding = less dark .... and has more clarity and presence than the 580. The MS2i and 580/600 are my favorite headphones. The 580/600 scales to a level quite different than what you have probably experienced with you use a good tube amp.

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #21 of 27
Just like Nickchen I've had some SR-225s on loan now for some time and thus had the opportunity to compare them to some headphiled SR-225s, my HF-1 and my MS-2i.
I also was quite disappointed by the stock 225s which indeed sounded sort of muddy even in comparison to the headphiled 225 - though in direct comparison to the HF-1 and the MS-2i both 225s clearly were inferior.
While the stock 225s were somewhat dark sounding and relativley flat (even with bowls), the headphiled 225s (which have a silver recable) are too bright and light for my tastings (though they do sound a little more lively). With flats they are tolerable though if still not great.
I agree on what has been said about the MS-2i: much more refined if a little bright at times. I use mine with flats.
Now if the SR-225 is not for me this has to be taken with a pinch of salt, as the three headphones I listen to most of the time are Alessandro MS-Pro, Grado PS-1 and Grado HP-2...

Jan 19, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Expect a soundstage almost identical to the SR225.

Jan 19, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #23 of 27
Have the MS-2i woodied, 5 9 copper recabled in cotton.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Expect a soundstage almost identical to the SR225.

If the MS2i's are so similar to the SR325i's then it's night and day difference between the SR325i's soundstage and the SR225's soundstage - almost non-existent, just left and right thru your head. :|

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just like Nickchen I've had some SR-225s on loan now for some time

Our unloved german forum SR225 send-around-bitch that nobody really liked. I guess Grado will have a hard time selling any SR225s in the orbit of the the german hifi forum for the next months.
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #26 of 27
I'll be the dissenting vote and say that I've owned both the SR225 and MS2i at the same time and actually preferred the SR225 after extensive A/B comparisons. Using bowl pads for both, I found the MS2i to be too bass heavy. I also found the MS2i's treble to be a little too rolled off compared to the SR225 (and MS-Pro, which I also own). And yes, I've burned the cans in (for 100+ hrs).

I bought the MS2i hoping that it would be a "junior version" of my beloved MS-Pro, but it was not the case for me. I was quite dissappointed considering all the hype with the MS2i. I wound up selling the MS2i a week after I bought it. The new owner loves them, BTW. I still have and enjoy my SR225.

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also found the MS2i's treble to be a little too rolled off compared to the SR225 (and MS-Pro, which I also own). And yes, I've burned the cans in (for 100+ hrs).

Holly crap, then it means the OP should buy the SR325i's instead. The SR225's trebles were a bit too polite for me, especially in contrast with the lively midrange. So I'm happy I didn't end up with the MS2i's.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back