How do I use my Macbook Pro with HM-801 Coaxial DAC?
Jul 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
I have a 2008 Macbook Pro (Penryn I believe).  I have an optical line output via the headphone jack apparently.  I now realize that this is an OPTICAL line out so I need a mini-toslink adapter with toslink cable:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1596

Okay....but the Hifiman input is coaxial so do I really need:

MBP->mini-Toslink adapter->Toslink cable->Toslink to Coaxial converter -> HM-801?

OR could I use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-ILS100TM-1M-Toslink-Digital-Audio-Interconnect/dp/B00003CWA9

So I would have:

MBP->mini-Toslink adapter->the cable above->HM-801?

I stupidly just bought a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable which the HM-801 recognizes (I get Coax DAC picture) but no sound.

Any ideas?

(I am totally unfamiliar with Toslink)

After some googling it seems that I might need a Toslink-to-Digital Coaxial converter box to make it work with the Hifiman since the HM-801 is not optical in (coaxial in only)?  This is really making the chain painful.

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 5
Yeah the hifiman is coaxial or usb in only.

Have you thought about using a usb to spdif converter instead of using the optical out?

I was using the usb from my iMac into my HM-801 but wasn't overly impressed with it, so bought the little M2Tech hiface converter so i could using the coax in instead and be able to play 24/96 straight from the iMac.

My setup is now iMac -> hiface -> custom rca to mini coax cable -> HM-801 coax in

You don't even need a custom cable as you could just use a std Rca to Rca spdif cable and attach the little adaptor that comes with the player.

Jul 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 5
Thats what I figured.  I suppose I could get a Toslink to Digital converter and that *should* work.  Ew vay.  I might pick up the Hiface anyway since I need it for the JH-3A setup come end of Summer/early Fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back