How do I upgrade from here?
Aug 6, 2008 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

malldian

Headphoneus Supremus
Right now I have a Toshiba SD4k which is my transport to the latest Beresford DAC. How much do I need to spend to see an increase in SQ, preferably a new transport or CDP if warranted?

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 9
The biggest factor in sound quality is headphones/speakers. Unless you are completely satisfied with yours, that should be your next upgrade. After that, the best order for upgrades (in my experience) is amp, DAC / sound card, cables, and power-related equipment (power cables and conditioning).

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 9
Agreed. Buy better or different headphones first. Sextetts are good, but they aren't all that and a bag of potato chips.

You have a good amp, so I'd probably say change the DAC next, but you'll probably have to spend a lot to best it. If you're using a CD player as a transport, changing that won't make much of a difference. The other option is getting a similarly priced solid state amp to get another flavour.

I'm considering getting a Gilmore Lite soon myself.

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 9
I will be getting the 325i as soon as someone will be willing to sell it. I have found a good combination of tubes for the Sextetts at least and figure that will be a good upgrade and different style. From there I don't know what the most cost effective upgrade out be and have read that in many cases, source first.

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 9
DAC? Transport?

You need to get yourself a turntable. You can get a big step up in sound quality for $300-$500 and tons of cheap, legal music to be had.

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 9
Upgrades are most effective when they are addressing a specific problem. Listen to the best recording you can in a critical way and see if you find room for improvement somewhere. My guess is that investing in more and better recorded music will give you the most bang for the buck.

See ya
Steve

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC? Transport?

You need to get yourself a turntable. You can get a big step up in sound quality for $300-$500 and tons of cheap, legal music to be had.

Got a Dual 1009F with a Grado Black cart and I love it! Its great for new music but not so great for improving on what I have CD wise.

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upgrades are most effective when they are addressing a specific problem. Listen to the best recording you can in a critical way and see if you find room for improvement somewhere. My guess is that investing in more and better recorded music will give you the most bang for the buck.

See ya
Steve

Interesting thought. Once I get my new headphones I will reevaulate from there.

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be getting the 325i as soon as someone will be willing to sell it. I have found a good combination of tubes for the Sextetts at least and figure that will be a good upgrade and different style. From there I don't know what the most cost effective upgrade out be and have read that in many cases, source first.

Why the SR325i? I'm just curious.

Just about everything I've read about them seems to indicate they have a great deal of treble exaggeration, not to mention their design seems like it'll be very heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back