How do I tame DT880 highs ??
Jun 8, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #31 of 44
Maybe I will. I'm am currently just listening to them for about 2 hours now (I don't do the burn in nonsense) and after maybe about 10 minutes the the drivers probably settled and the highs aren't as bad anymore. I'll see what I feel like in a week from now but I've definately heard more annoying highs so the DT880 after 10 minutes is very tolerable for me.

I find I have/had a lot of gear headphones in common with you TheWuss. What kind of music do you listen to? And are the M50s as good as everyone say they are? Looking into a portable at the moment but I'm guessing the M50s aren't that big and can be used as portables. =\

Sorry if I got off topic.

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #32 of 44
yeah.  the drivers do settle down with some use.  but i don't think the overall sound changed all that much with my dt880/600.

as far as the m50, it's not really any smaller than the dt880.  hahaha.
it's just touted a lot as a portable because it's rugged, closed, and isolating.
also easily driven.
so, it gets used a lot for those purposes i guess.
but, the cable is 10 feet long, which is a pain for portable use.  i roll half of it up and velcro it.

it's really a super can for the price.  great sound that is pretty balanced overall.
deep bass that is pretty controlled.  just a touch bassy, if i had to describe them with a one-liner.
the highs are very slightly grainy, and also very slightly laid back. 

it's an intriguing sound signature.  and they get a lot of head time from me...

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #33 of 44
oh, and hey, it's my thread.  we can go off topic.  hahahahaha.

as far as music.  i listen mostly to "rock". 

my faves are neil young, david bowie, the who, led zeppelin, jimi hendrix, the beatles.  you know, the usual.
but i also really dig crowded house, talk talk, fleetwood mac.

but, heck i listen to lots of stuff.  i've got something like 5,000 CDs. 
shameful, i know...

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #34 of 44
Reading through the thread and before I realized you corrected the sibilance, I was going to recommend you a pair of HD650s. I had a problem similar to yours with some AKG 701s and ended up selling them and have been extremely happy with my Senns ever since. I wonder if your solution with the padding would work on all headphones? The only thing that worries me is if it would mess with the detail and tonal sound of the phone. Like, I recently gave the HD800 a whirl and it ended up being to harsh for my taste so I sent it back. Everything else about the can was awesome, just couldn't stand the harshness. I'm wondering if adding a layer of extra foam would've taken care of it. Who knows! Anyways glad you found a solution, now go put on Magical Mystery Tour...

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #36 of 44

Quote:
I just received my DT880 250ohms (because I didn't want to pay the $60+ premium for the 600ohms) And straight out of the box OMG HARSH TREBLES!!!

Yea same as you feeling somewhat. These however are not as sibilant as the HD800 which made me hate listening to some music. But I eqed and its better somewhat. How well does that felt mod work? I know it sounds like you are super pleased with them but after a few days to calm down are they still as good as you initially thought?

These are interesting phones. I still haven't made up my mind if I like them yet. All I know right now is that they really don't give you enough clicks on the headband... Damn you massive head.

Quote:
Guys,

I'm a fairly new owner of the DT880 / 600 ohm.  I have a little over a hundred hours on them, and I'm just crestfallen right now, as the treble is just too much for me.

>snip<

Cheers!
The Wuss

Hello - I'd like to offer another opinion.....  A lesser amp with a great source will sound much  better than a great amp with a lesser source.

I have 880s and 701s and I think what you guys are hearing are the Keces DACs you have.... especially you Wuss because you have a pretty good Woo amp.  I have a Woo3 so I'm familiar with the Woo house sound and it's not sibilant, but your DAC is and if you're using onboard USB that's strike two.  The 880s, especially with something like a Woo6, will let you hear straight through to the source, and that is where the sibilance is.  The 880s are bright with a large sound stage but not particularly sibilant once they have a few hours under their belts.  What you're hearing is either in your source material, from your DAC or most probably both.  You've hear that the source is the most important thing (after headphones).....  well, in this case I think your source is holding you back.

I would recommend a source of equal quality to your Woo6 and some kind of transport if you must use USB, because most on board USB implementations sound lousy, (even in the better DACs that have them).  A Trends UD10 or Blue Circle Thingee or a HiFace would do the trick as a transport.  For a DAC, something like a Havana, Stello, or better, but nothing less.  Even my Woo3 can hear the difference between my Constantine, Stello and  North Star DACs and it can really hear the difference between the Thingee and the HiFace transports.

To test this out you might want to go to a meet in your area and bring your unmodded 880s.  Listen to some of the better systems with your phones and see for yourself..........

My 880s are on their 5th pair of ear pads.  They get more use than my 650s or 701s by an order of magnitude.... although that might change as I evaluate a pair of T-1s, that btw, have the same sound signature as the 880s. 
beyersmile.png

Good Luck

USG

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #37 of 44
thanks, USG.

i also feel that my source is the weakest link.
my next big purchase will probably be a Cullen Modded PS Audio DLIII.  and i will run it via coax from a hiface or other converter.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #38 of 44
Yeah, the source is very important. I love what the Buffalo did to my music. It sounds so much better than my Dacmagic.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #39 of 44

Quote:
thanks, USG.

i also feel that my source is the weakest link.
my next big purchase will probably be a Cullen Modded PS Audio DLIII.  and i will run it via coax from a hiface or other converter.

I don't know anything about that DAC.  Curious why are you choosing it?  Did you  hear it somewhere?

Have you followed jeny's ugraded HiFace?

USG

Jun 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #40 of 44

Quote:

Hello - I'd like to offer another opinion.....  A lesser amp with a great source will sound much  better than a great amp with a lesser source.

I have 880s and 701s and I think what you guys are hearing are the Keces DACs you have.... especially you Wuss because you have a pretty good Woo amp.  I have a Woo3 so I'm familiar with the Woo house sound and it's not sibilant, but your DAC is and if you're using onboard USB that's strike two.  The 880s, especially with something like a Woo6, will let you hear straight through to the source, and that is where the sibilance is.  The 880s are bright with a large sound stage but not particularly sibilant once they have a few hours under their belts.  What you're hearing is either in your source material, from your DAC or most probably both.  You've hear that the source is the most important thing (after headphones).....  well, in this case I think your source is holding you back.

I would recommend a source of equal quality to your Woo6 and some kind of transport if you must use USB, because most on board USB implementations sound lousy, (even in the better DACs that have them).  A Trends UD10 or Blue Circle Thingee or a HiFace would do the trick as a transport.  For a DAC, something like a Havana, Stello, or better, but nothing less.  Even my Woo3 can hear the difference between my Constantine, Stello and  North Star DACs and it can really hear the difference between the Thingee and the HiFace transports.

To test this out you might want to go to a meet in your area and bring your unmodded 880s.  Listen to some of the better systems with your phones and see for yourself..........

My 880s are on their 5th pair of ear pads.  They get more use than my 650s or 701s by an order of magnitude.... although that might change as I evaluate a pair of T-1s, that btw, have the same sound signature as the 880s. 
beyersmile.png

Good Luck

USG

Nope. Its the same out of anything. The keces, my S9, Xtrememusic sound card, Opus. A DAC does not make or break your headphones. And doesn't stop it being any more sibilance/harsh. I don't wanna drag this issue back in a legitimate forum. Go into the sound science forum to see many arguements including my own on this topic.

My source ain't holding nothing back unless it is distorting the sound which it isn't. The recording on the hand is another issue and any DAC can make the recording sound like poo.

But I do need to go to a meet one day to see if maybe if thousand dollar equipment is worth it because most the mid-fi stuff I tried aren't worth it after a point.

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #41 of 44

Quote:
Nope. Its the same out of anything. The keces, my S9, Xtrememusic sound card, Opus. A DAC does not make or break your headphones. And doesn't stop it being any more sibilance/harsh. I don't wanna drag this issue back in a legitimate forum. Go into the sound science forum to see many arguements including my own on this topic.

My source ain't holding nothing back unless it is distorting the sound which it isn't. The recording on the hand is another issue and any DAC can make the recording sound like poo.

But I do need to go to a meet one day to see if maybe if thousand dollar equipment is worth it because most the mid-fi stuff I tried aren't worth it after a point.

Three things.  First, have you ever compared a HiFace to a standard transport?  Second, I'd love to have this conversation with you after you've had some time with one of the better DACs.  Third, there are differences between classes of DACs.  My inexpensive NOS DAC-AH does not sound like an upsampling DAC or oversampling DAC, but within classes, it becomes difficult to hear differences.

LOL, I like the Sound Science Forum too. 
dt880smile.png

USG

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #42 of 44
S's and T's sound sharp or harsh.
Also, triangles, bells, and some cymbals are just WAY too much. 

So, what I'm looking for is a way to mod them physically.  Because I'm not an EQ user.

Good luck getting some hardware mods to kill those 6/7 and 9/10kHz middle ear resonances
bigsmile_face.gif

Have you ever tried to talk loud in an empty room? That's exactly your problem.

Some food for thoughts:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

http://www.davidgriesinger.com/headphones.htm
 the coupling of high frequencies to the eardrum varies greatly among individuals.  It is influenced by the volume of the concha, the diameter and geometry of the ear canal, the eardrum impedance and other factors.  Lacking probe microphone measurements at the eardrum, the best way to equalize a headphone is by listening.

Dec 15, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #43 of 44
Well, that's quite an old thread, but 11 years later DT880 600 Ohm are still on sale, but the problem with sibilances still remains.
Tubes, "dark" multibit DAC/CD player, cables - nothing helped in my case, so I decide to check the headfi solutions regarding this matter - this is how I came here.
Reading about some good results with foam moding, I decide to try the simplest solution, what everyone should have at their home - paper napkins....and I must admit, it works amazing) Just cut the napkin in half and put each piece inside of each of the headphone cups (no need to remove the pads and original foam). That's completely removes the sibilances and slightly trims the hights, making DT880 sounds comfortable and still great.
Hope that'll help somebody)

Attachments

• 20211215_204226.jpg
    20211215_204226.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211215_204305.jpg
    20211215_204305.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back