How do I stop the "hiss" coming from my phono pre-amp?
Aug 8, 2010 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

loghead

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. Based on some recommendations from here on head-fi, I decided to buy a tcc tc-760lc phono preamp for my bedroom rig. I however get a very noticeable hiss when I turn the level any higher than about 1/3 of the way up. I am almost positive it is not coming from my amp. I also remember reading that others had an issue with hiss coming from this preamp and that they did something (perhaps added another device between the source and preamp, I'm not sure) that corrected this completely. I have been searching all morning for info along these lines, but can't seem to relocate it.

Help!

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 15
Maybe I should clarify. Past a certain level, there is a "buzz" or "hiss" that remains in the background of the music. When the music goes up in dynamics, it's not as noticeable. But during a more quiet section of the song or in between tracks, it's obvious and quite annoying.

I thought I read somewhere here on the forums that there is a component that can be added either before or after the phone pre-amp (can't remember which) that will eliminate this sound.

Anyone know what I'm talking about. I have searched the forums extensively but with no success. I know I'm not making this up.

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Maybe I should clarify. Past a certain level, there is a "buzz" or "hiss" that remains in the background of the music. When the music goes up in dynamics, it's not as noticeable. But during a more quiet section of the song or in between tracks, it's obvious and quite annoying.

The difference between Buzz and Hiss is critical.

If it is a constant frequency hum or buzz like a bee or vuvuzela do as Uncle Eric says, check out your grounding. If you have shorting plugs (RCA plugs that are soldered tip to ground) install them and see how the phono stage sounds. If there is still hum/buzz with shorting plugs installed it may be power supply related, but this is not terribly common.

If it is a hiss like white or pink noise (you can find free download tracks on the web for an example) it is random noise. Random noise sucks and unfortunately is the more likely culprit. Random noise can be caused by a few things, but in inexpensive phono stages it is most commonly caused by op amps that are simply predisposed to be noisy, and occasionally the power supply. Swapping op amps for a different ones with lower noise ratings (see the datasheet) often helps. Depending on the phono stage the op amps may be soldered in, which would make this a difficult task. Swapping the power supply for a linear regulated one (if it is a switchmode type) or any type of regulated (if it is unregulated) occasionally helps with power supply noise, but it is the less likely cause.

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 15
What cartridge? saw it's a shure 97 so plenty of gain. Lets assume it's hum and not the wooshing thermal noise. Move the phono stage and or cartridge away from equipment transformers. If not hum then nothing to be done. Return it. My favs are the Bellari and Rega mini. Rega is quieter. If you aren't ever going to spend a grand on a cartridge you don't need to worry about MC input.

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
If you aren't ever going to spend a grand on a cartridge you don't need to worry about MC input.

Really? There are plenty of low output moving coil cartridges in the sub $1000 range that take most moving magnets and make them sad to lead such a pathetic joke of an overpriced existence. At the very least they represent another flavor if we cant agree on the blanket statement that MC cartridges dominate MM's at similar price points.

Who out there regularly rolls cartridges and has not owned the Denon DL-103 at some point (if not all points). Perhaps the type-R or some other exotic variant, but I can think of MUCH MUCH worse cartridges than the DL-103 for $180 (street price)

Shelter 501mk2 comes in at less than $500 on the used market and just short of $1000 new and should not be missed if you can part with the money. It is the crown jewel of easily obtained cartridges in the sub $1000 range. 

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
How's your grounding?

Fine I believe, but I am not sure what would be wrong with the grounding or how it could be improved. Enlighten me in this regard. Are you basically asking IF I have it grounded, because yes I do.

It is more noticeable at higher phono pre-amp levels on the TC-760. Ideally, what level should I have the phono pre-amp? Should this not matter at all? Just trying to determine if this could potentially be the source of my problem and maybe I should just keep it at a lower setting.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:

Really? There are plenty of low output moving coil cartridges in the sub $1000 range that take most moving magnets and make them sad to lead such a pathetic joke of an overpriced existence. At the very least they represent another flavor if we cant agree on the blanket statement that MC cartridges dominate MM's at similar price points.

Who out there regularly rolls cartridges and has not owned the Denon DL-103 at some point (if not all points). Perhaps the type-R or some other exotic variant, but I can think of MUCH MUCH worse cartridges than the DL-103 for $180 (street price)

Shelter 501mk2 comes in at less than $500 on the used market and just short of $1000 new and should not be missed if you can part with the money. It is the crown jewel of easily obtained cartridges in the sub $1000 range. 

I suppose but a HO DV 20Xh is better and 10x5 competitive. Point is that a $200 phono stage is barely good enough for a MM and not good enough for a Low output. The point isn't to find a MM that's worse but to find one that's good. I really would just as soon have a MM like a Rega Elys as a HO MC below the DV20x. I do however agree that I overstated and that the DL103 is nice but I personally would never use a conical or buy a used cartridge. I suppose it's up to what an individual requires but it's plenty hard to find a good $200 phono stage let alone one for coils. Closest I've found to do both pretty well is the Cambridge but I prefer the 2 I mentioned previously. What good is a LO Coil without an appropriate phono stage.

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 15
Just to clarify...does your Turntable cable bundle (L/R RCA jacks) have a third lead with a small spade lug on the end of it  ? If so this is your ground lead from the TT proper. Make sure that is well connected at both ends (at the phono amp and the turntable).

Here is the FAQ page's explanation of such http://www.phonopreamps.com/faq.html#ground provide by the manufacturer of your phono amp. One other possible source of noise is the outlet you have the wall wart plugged into. Try another outlet if you can or make sure the entire system is running from one circuit with no other noisy devices being run from the same line (like WIFI routers, etc).

Nikongod I have to agree with you about the Shelter line up..their entry level cartridges are truly amazing...wish I could get a TT that would justify the purchase of such a beast. That being said the new 2M series cartridges from Ortofon (that replace the OM series) are pretty darn good in their own right, in particular the 2M bronze or black.

Good luck.

Peete.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 15
Hey guys I had a similar problem with the hiss situation. The hiss appears when I have to turn both my pre-amp and amp up to 3/4 of a turn on the gains to hear my vinyl's at a preferable level. I have read good things about the Denon DL - 110 high output moving coil cartridge. Is it possible for me to use these with my current turntables since the Stanton's are MM and the Denon's are MC. I know it's not my amp or pre-amp because when I play my FLAC's and MP3's through them at the same gain level, I get no hiss, so it's most likely not these devices.

My equipment:

1) Stanton - D70E MM Cartridge (Most likely my problem)
2) Gemini Turntable PT-2000 III's (Modeled to compete with SL - 1200)
3) TEC TC - 753LC phono pre-amp
4) Pyle - PTA 2 stereo amp (2x40w)
5) SR - 80i headphones

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 15
A number of specifics items could cause the noise.  In the case of the amp to pre-amp cause make sure the volume on the pre-amp is nearly full and the amp volume is used instead of the pre-amp to control the master volume.  This will hopefully prevent any possible clipping on the amp.  Keep the pre-amp at 90% volume.

Another thing to test is start the player, without a record on and the needle down, and see if the hiss can be heard.  This will eliminate surface noise.  The player can even be stopped and the sound listened for again.  If the motor is not running and the hiss is heard then there is another issue at hand besides surface noise.

The grounding issue could be that more than one device is on a separate ground.  Take the player plugged into outlet 1, pre-amp into outlet 2, and main power amp into outlet 3.  If each device has its own ground then you are going to have ground loops.  In most audio systems you want the power amp to have the only ground and everything else referenced to that ground.

I know a worn out stylus or can cause noise issues so you may want to look into that.  Some people notice a reduction in noise using a thicker platter mat.

Be sure to check these steps on lowering the noise on a record player;

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10410551-47/six-ways-to-make-your-turntable-sound-better/

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #15 of 15
Thanks man, I am gonna try some of those options out. I'll let you know how that works out. It's gonna be tough to give everything its own ground but I'll see what I can do. Should I but the DL-110's, since it would be a good upgrade for my setup anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back