How do I play flac files on itunes?
Jun 7, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #16 of 31
Seems like Hybrys is the only one that doesn't like dBpoweramp haha.

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #18 of 31
dBPoweramp is terrible software.  <_<  If they didn't make you pay for it, it would be fine.  In the meantime, everything I use is open source and free.  EAC, SUPER, FlacSquisher, etc.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #20 of 31
The software is free.  But since THEY have to pay for some of the Codec's license fees, like MP3, they make the user cover those costs. You only have to pay if you want those codecs. Not such a bad deal, really. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:
The software is free.  But since THEY have to pay for some of the Codec's license fees, like MP3, they make the user cover those costs. You only have to pay if you want those codecs. Not such a bad deal, really. 

I was actually referring to this, from their paid package only
Quote:
[size=x-small][size=x-small]"advanced secure ripper abilities"[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]and[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]"CD Ripping - Secure Mode"[/size][/size]

That makes me feel as if I can get that for free from EAC, but not from dbPoweramp.  I ALSO see that the only available downloads are 21-day free trials, not freeware versions.

Edit: Found the details about the free version.  Seems worse than EAC, just for ripping.  But batch format converters are awesome.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #22 of 31
I don't use dBPoweramp for ripping - just for transcoding.  And for that's it's invaluable.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:
I don't use dBPoweramp for ripping - just for transcoding.  And for that's it's invaluable.

That's fair, then.  I personally still prefer FlacSquisher (which you can 'mod' to transcode to anything), or SUPER, unless I'm doing 50+ at a time.

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #24 of 31
No wonder you could not get Fluke to work - as it is Mac OS X only, while you look to be using MS Windows..

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #25 of 31
I am on a mac and I use xAct for conversion, it works well and has support for many different formats, and it is free! yay

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #26 of 31
Bumping an old thread......I've tried using dbpoweramp the last couple days and its chewed up A LOT of files already.....I've heard that it can screw up labels, and sometims leave a few bits out here and there, but I've asked it to convert about 50 FLAC songs to ALACand I've only gotten about 20 out the other side that are still all there and sound fine.  Most of them have ended up with pieces of the song missing, or nearly the whole thing missing! 

this is pretty lame....what am I doing wrong?  or is that just how dbpoweramp works?

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
Bumping an old thread......I've tried using dbpoweramp the last couple days and its chewed up A LOT of files already.....I've heard that it can screw up labels, and sometims leave a few bits out here and there, but I've asked it to convert about 50 FLAC songs to ALACand I've only gotten about 20 out the other side that are still all there and sound fine.  Most of them have ended up with pieces of the song missing, or nearly the whole thing missing! 

this is pretty lame....what am I doing wrong?  or is that just how dbpoweramp works?

I use dBpoweramp for various things, however not for ALAC.  If you already have the FLAC files and complete albums ripped, I would recommend CueTools.  It is an awesome program that I use regularly for various things and keeps things very organized.  I like to make cue files with all my rips.  Once I have the rip, I can convert and make cues or split tracks with different codecs.  Say I have a rip of a CD with cue, I can convert to ALAC or others and automatically split tracks etc.  It keeps all the tags intact.  It takes a few minutes to get used to, but once get the hang of it, it really is a great product.

I don't know if it will help your present situation, but I have converted my whole library to ALAC as well as FLAC with CueTools and I have the master WAV w/ cue to burn CDs or whatever I need to do with it in the future.  Might be worth a shot for you.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #28 of 31
that sounds great!  thanks heatfan......luckily I still have all the original files in tact, I just ended up with a bunch of worthless alac files....

I'll give that a try when i get home! 

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #29 of 31
You are welcome heavy,

Make sure you download the latest version (2.0.9).

Here are a couple of shots:

In green are your main settings, depending what you want to do

Here are the various outputs

Hope it will fit the bill for you....
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #30 of 31

Users who are viewing this thread

Back