How do I play flac files on itunes?
Oct 21, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #31 of 31
The dBpoweramp converter should work fine.  You should get a perfect lossless conversion.  No loss of any audio or tags.

Make sure you have the current version of dBpoweramp.  Old versions used a different ALAC converter.  The new ALAC converter is better and can even do 24-bit ALAC files.  Also make sure you don't have any "DSP Effects / Actions" enabled.  The DSP effects can mess up an otherwise lossless conversion.  For example there are DSP effects to trim silence, normalize, and things like that. 

Also, I'm not sure if the free/demo version of dBpoweramp limits the ALAC converter or other features.  For example, the demo version might do something like limit conversions to only 30 seconds or something like that.  I have the paid version.  I don't know what the free/demo version does or doesn't do.

CueTools is also a handy tool.  Just be careful about its HDCD decoding settings.  It has the ability to decode HDCD to 24-bit files if it detects HDCD.  If you want to do a lossless conversion you need to make sure the HDCD decoding is disabled in the off-chance you try to convert a HDCD file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back