How do I make Marantz HD-DAC1 show that it plays DSD?
May 26, 2018 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Head-Fier
Hello.

I am the owner of a Marantz HD-DAC1, which supports up to DSD 5.6Mhz. I am using it to output music from my desktop PC.

I have purchased an album from NativeDSD.com in order to test out the DSD-capabilities, and I am using Foobar2000 as the media player. I have installed and set up the appropriate DSD-drivers for Foobar2000.

Now, I do not know too much about bit rates and sample rates, but as far as I can tell, Foobar2000 recognizes the aforementioned album as DSD 5.6Mhz,but my Marantz displays "44.1k" on the info screen on the unit, both when used via USB and Coax via an M2Tech HiFace 2.
There's an image on the Marantz HD-DAC1 product page, which displays the units display, in which it says "USB-DAC DSD 5.6M", which makes me wonder if I am hearing the full capabilities of both the player and the file type, when my unit's display only shows 44.1k.

Does any of you know more about the subject than I, and if you do, will you please tell me if I have misunderstood something, or there is indeed something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

May 26, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 6
Marantz should indeed say "DSD 5.6M" or something similar. I've owned one previously and that was how it indicated an incoming DSD signal. It seems there is something wrong with your configuration.

I found this guide for DSD playback with Foobar2000: https://www.audiostream.com/content/how-play-dsd-file-using-foobar2000

Try following the instructions, they seem familiar to me.

May 26, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you for your reply. I have tried following that guide, but I seem to be missing the foo_input_sacd.dll file, and I can not seem to find it anywhere, neither as download, nor on my desktop after downloading the appropriate foo_input_sacd.zip archive.

May 26, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 6
It seems the component has been updated (many times) after the guide has been written. Instead of messing with the .dll file, just click foo_input_sacd.fb2k-component to install the required foo_input_sacd component.

May 26, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 6
I have done that. My next problem arises at step 13. When I double click on the foo_dsd_asio, the pop-up window I see is nowhere near similar to the one described in the guide. I can not select an ASIO driver, but an ASIO device.

I have tried all of the ones that seem relevant, but I always end up with some sort of problem, due to the many parameters that can be adjusted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back