How do I let down a beats person softly?
Aug 19, 2012 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ebmp19

Head-Fier
One of my friends has recently purchased beats studio headphones. I had a listen to them the other day and they seem really bad for the price. If he asked me I would have suggested ultrasone pro 900s but he didn't. I think I should teach him something so he doesn't make the same mistake again. Should bring my beyerdynamic DT770s and my E17 in and let him listen to them? I know that he will know that he's been ripped off immediately and I feel bad for him . They say ignorance is bliss so I'm not sure what to do.   Any Suggestions? 

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 28
ignorance is bliss, but beats ain't bliss... If I were you, I'd just carry my headphone and my dap and amp, make it look "pro" just to lure his curiousity and let him try the headphone when he ask for it.. lol

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 28
Problem is the horse has already bolted in that you should have said something as soon as you took them off. He would have probably said something along the lines of "What do you think?"

You should have simply taken them off and said one of these:

"Hmmmm.... Not for me...."
"Yes, they look really cool."
<shakes head> "I think you should back these brother."
"Not being funny but can I 'show' you what $$$ could sound like?"

Top one would be my favourite as the receiving person can't help but have their curiosity piqued and then you get to show them a better sounding pair for same or less money and it's not like you're rubbing it in or showing off at all :)

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 28
I would bring your e17 and dt770 and make sure he see's you listening to them, but make it look like your really enjoying them and hopefully he will ask to try them. If you do it soon he might still be able to return them.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 28
The thing is...some of these people are buying headphones as a "fashion" statement.   I don't think most of them care about sound quality and they would be  happy with Apple earbuds, but since they want to be cool, they go and spend hundreds of dollars on headphones because all the cool kids are doing the same.  Now, the sad thing is that I've seen some older people with Beats.  The general public think that Bose, and now Monster, are top tiered brands when it comes to headphones. 

Marketing...gotta love it.  But hey, it's their own ears they are polluting with crappy sound.

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
The thing is...some of these people are buying headphones as a "fashion" statement.   I don't think most of them care about sound quality and they would be  happy with Apple earbuds, but since they want to be cool, they go and spend hundreds of dollars on headphones because all the cool kids are doing the same.  Now, the sad thing is that I've seen some older people with Beats.  The general public think that Bose, and now Monster, are top tiered brands when it comes to headphones. 

Marketing...gotta love it.  But hey, it's their own ears they are polluting with crappy sound.

This is right on the money, those beats headphones have the look people want and they sound good the the average person because they aren't used to listening to headphones that cost more than 30 bucks.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:
This is right on the money, those beats headphones have the look people want and they sound good the the average person because they aren't used to listening to headphones that cost more than 30 bucks.

yeah and chances are they all stock up on 128 files. no much advantage getting proper headphones that price as well... :/

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #15 of 28
If your friend is happy with his purchase just keep your mouth shut. The Beats are marketed in a way that makes people believe they're buying the best and the forces at play that have led them to that feeling go way beyond sound quality. If he actually cares about sound quality he will learn, but if he doesn't (and most people who buy beats really don't) then seeding dissatisfaction will do nothing but make him feel bad about the purchase and make you look like a jerk. That said, if he expresses curiosity then you can help him discover better sound, but he has to initiate the process. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back