How Do I Conduct an A/B Comparison?
Jun 12, 2008 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Steve The Egg

100+ Head-Fier
Is there any easy way to do two headphones? By the time I get everything set up, I seem to "forget" how the other one sounded. I remember HUGE differences in sound but not the detail others seem to pick up in reviews I've read. Sorry if this is a stupid question :/

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 14
Maybe have several people help you, but I can't imagine how not to be influenced by the earcup size, weight and clamping force, since those things can be felt. The padding material can be covered so that you don't feel it. Maybe the weight can also be tuned with some additional material, but still I can't imagine how it could be properly done. And the only thing that comes to mind - taking the drivers out and putting them in the same generic housing - would change the sound. Anyone here involved in professional headphone DBTesting?

Jun 12, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 14
The most important thing when doing a comparison is to match levels. Even a small (1-2dB) difference in sound output can color your judgment, the louder pair will sound better.

Jun 12, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 14
The trick is volume matching. Two different headphones have different sensitivities and impedances. They'll react differently to the same amp, so you really two of the same amp and a method of level matching the two.

I don't do any of that, though. I just swap them on the same amp and give them a subjective listen.

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #6 of 14
When I'm doing this, I select suitable music first; something with a wide dynamic range that has been well produced. Then do selective listening.
Check the highs; how crisp are those high-hats, cymbals, etc. Just do that first then try your other phones and compare. Go back and forth just focussing in on that until you can make a clear evaluation. Then you focus on something else, maybe the bass guitar or bass drum; how solid and deep is it? Is it a tight sound or is it loose and boomy? Then continue focussing in on other instruments and compare. Try it and let us know how you get on.

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #7 of 14
Volume is key. Just take copious notes, take a break, switch, and repeat. To be honest, I have never actively A/B-ed any headphones I own. I just got to know each pair, and remembered the differences. I only do A/B-ing of other people's gear.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most important thing when doing a comparison is to match levels. Even a small (1-2dB) difference in sound output can color your judgment, the louder pair will sound better.

How do you match levels this closely? Do you use some some sort of device? It would seem matching levels by ear would have inherent inaccuracies..

When I A/B headphones, I usually use a 1/4" splitter to plug both phones into my amp, but differences in impedance and sensitivity means that I have to adjust volume between phones. I do not really notice a reduction in sound quality by using a splitter, but I figure if there is some quality loss there, it would be affecting both headphones equally.

Gives you a good idea of the difference between two phones in "real time" though.

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 14
tonososnot: I would imagine using foobar which shows you the decibel levels.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I'll start taking notes and matching levels.

What music do you guys use for your testing? Any one song or album you always use for testing? I'm thinking about using Dark Side of the Moon as my reference since it has a wide range and was well recorded. Then do some live recordings and then maybe some other random genres.

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 14
A good way to do A/B comparison is to use an amp with 2 or more phone outputs and individual volumes. The Presonus HP-4 is a good example, although it's not a great amp.

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 14
The PreSonus HP-4 becomes a much better amp when you preamp it with something like the Little Dot MKIV SE because the MKIV gives it more current to work with so it has less to do so it sounds better or so it seems to me.

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #12 of 14
Its quite simple (or is it really...).
Use an amplifier with two (or more) outputs, then hook up both 'phones at the same time. Then start listening, one set at a time and at the end maybe switching between them more rapidly.

NB! Its crucial that you match the volume levels.

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonsosnot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you match levels this closely? Do you use some some sort of device? It would seem matching levels by ear would have inherent inaccuracies.

Yes, you would have to use a precision SPL meter against a sine wave. Quality sound meters are not cheap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonsosnot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I A/B headphones, I usually use a 1/4" splitter to plug both phones into my amp, but differences in impedance and sensitivity means that I have to adjust volume between phones. I do not really notice a reduction in sound quality by using a splitter, but I figure if there is some quality loss there, it would be affecting both headphones equally.

The splitter does not degrade sound quality, it just reduces the impedance (both HP's impedances are now in parallel), which makes the amp work harder. The effect equating volume with sound quality is subconscious, which is why it is important to correct for it by matching levels.

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve The Egg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tonososnot: I would imagine using foobar which shows you the decibel levels.

No, that wouldn't help, you have to match at the position of the ear. No source matching can account for sensitivity and impedance differences between the drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you would have to use a precision SPL meter against a sine wave. Quality sound meters are not cheap...
The effect equating volume with sound quality is subconscious, which is why it is important to correct for it by matching levels.

It would be ideal to match with an SPL meter, but even if you do, I'd recommend testing at various volume points, a little beyond the full range at which you would ever listen. Headphones perform differently at different volumes, and raising and lowering the volume over the course of testing will give you a better impression of the headphone's full capabilities and character. Doing this also reduces the chance that your ear is simply preferring the louder headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back