How did you know when you reached your endgame?
Oct 8, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #16 of 345
Easy answer for me: When I realised any better would require a $10k outlay for better sound, when I'm very thoroughly enjoying listening with the gear I have now.

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #18 of 345
Easy answer for me: When I realised any better would require a $10k outlay for better sound, when I'm very thoroughly enjoying listening with the gear I have now.

You do have like, a million components though. Would you call one specific combination your endgame where you could sell all your other gear?

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #19 of 345
You do have like, a million components though. Would you call one specific combination your endgame where you could sell all your other gear?

The combination I use the most now has totally nailed it for me. That is:

Mac with Audirvana Plus → iFi iUSB 3.0 + custom PSU → Hugo 2 → ALO Studio Six → Focal Utopias.

The only thing I really want is a better pair of speakers.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #20 of 345

Mac with Audirvana Plus → iFi iUSB 3.0 + custom PSU → Hugo 2 → ALO Studio Six → Focal Utopias.

@Currawong do you think that utopias are better than stax sr007mk1 in your opinion? Please let us know!
I am tempted to get utopias then!

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #21 of 345
@Currawong do you think that utopias are better than stax sr007mk1 in your opinion? Please let us know!
I am tempted to get utopias then!

That's a very difficult question. From a practical point of view, they are better, as you don't require a separate multi-thousand dollar amp just to be able to listen with them. Aside from that, I wouldn't mind trying a pair again out of a T8000 or KGSSHV and comparing them in my system.

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #22 of 345

Go get yourself a pair of Diablo Utopia then? Those sound amazing, with the right gear, of course.

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #23 of 345
For awhile after I bought my LCD-2 I wondered why I even searched the trade forums. Eventually I realized that I did not have the need to buy anything else.
I'm not sure if it's just a phase, but I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon. I think the LCD-2 is my endgame headphone, but I don't think my AMP/DAC is endgame yet.

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #24 of 345
You wake up one day and find out your spouse has moved out.................6 months ago.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #25 of 345
When you no longer spend every day on these forums following the hype each new product pretends to deliver. I have learned to be happy with what I have and not be envious of others. Certainly have saved anguish and money. But it took years of learning how to listen and getting into untold hours in debate. Eventually, I stopped the chase and arguments and listened to the music again.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #26 of 345
You only reach your end game when:-
1. You wimp out.
2. Your wallet is irrevocably broken.
3. Your wife.
..................a. puts her foot down
..................b. berates you until you go deaf
..................c. sells your gear on ebay while you're out.
..................d. etc. etc, etc, ad nauseum
4. You go deaf.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #27 of 345
We have come along way since the phonograph, but so very long to go. I’ve never been fooled by equipment that I’m listening to live music. End of game is a relative term, depending on your yardstick.

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #28 of 345
I think there is never "end-game", there is always something "better" but in terms of headphone industry the upgrade cycle might be lower compared to overall technology industry.

Usually in flagship products in headphone-industry there are several years of gaps between "current flagship-product and next successor to that". (except hifiman who milks every penny out of customers, while they still can)
Compare this with smartphone or computer industry. Where each year there is "new better/faster product"

One reason for this is that group of people who are willing to spend 1000€+ to headphones is way smaller, when compared to people who are willing to purchase every year 1000€+ iPhone. Second reason is that there isn't much they can improve to make it "major upgrade".

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #29 of 345
How did you know when you reached your endgame?

I'm wondering how much happier I would be with another high end pair of headphones--or if this is just upgraditis.

My favorite headphones (so far) are the Mr. Speakers Alpha Primes (which I settled on after passing on the HD800 and LCD2). The way I have them tuned with "doggie treats," the sound just gives me the happy warm fuzzies every time I put them on. They've effectively ruined all the mid-fi cans I used to love.

Is that as much as I should ask for, from a pair of headphones? I feel grateful to be as lucky as I am, for sure. I don't doubt I would be happy forever with what I have now, but the same might well have been true when I was listening to an M50x out of my phone, when that was the best I'd experienced. It's hard--if not impossible--to imagine what better would even be like, if you haven't heard it. I can't even tell you what improvements I want, because I don't have a way to know what improvements are possible.

My setup: I run an ODAC -> a Kenwood 45 wpc speaker amp running a TRRS plug off the speaker posts, so I have all the power that any headphone could theoretically need. I also have a Stax SRM-727a with a Lambda Pro, so improving my electrostatic setup is on the table too. I'm not considering upgrading my other (non-Stax) source gear at this time.

Pretend that money isn't much of a factor: I can and will save up for a Focal Utopia in 6-12 months, if being patient for that long looks like it'll be worth it in the end. Planning to save for longer than that isn't practical for me.

I think there is another thread like this on here that says when you have not bought any gear, used or new, in 6 months. Kind of a blanket statement but at the the same time sort of true. I have tried most of the expensive headphones out there and headphone amps for that matter. For me a $1k demo hd800 and $2k ECP dsha-2 amp. For sure more comfy than any of the $4k headphones that I tried and honestly better sounding to my ears with the same $2kish amps involved.

I had much better luck going from $2k Adam A7x/Sub8 speakers/sub to $5k Sony Apm-4/Tannoy(really Teac) st-100 speaker/supertweeter. To me the new $4k headphones on the block are a nice attempt but still not quite there yet. Where people have been building $4-5k speakers since well before I was born in 82. Just me but I think speakers (in particular from Japan) hit their stride around that time (1970's-1990's) and offer a tremendous bang for the $4-5k buck.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #30 of 345
Never ... you'd always need a change after awhile ...
It's part of this hobby :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back