How did you know when you reached your endgame?
Jan 18, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #151 of 345
+

You totally agree because what I am saying is if it was mastered on analog tape, it will sound best played back on an analog tape player. You are absolutely right, "but how can adding another process be advantageous'', it can't. Of course, we're talking as you said older music.

+

You totally agree because what I am saying is if it was mastered on analog tape, it will sound best played back on an analog tape player. You are absolutely right, "but how can adding another process be advantageous'', it can't. Of course, we're talking as you said older music.
Prolly should have stated I am 57 yeàrs old.?.love 60 and 70 music..I may be a little biased....bring it! Lol

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #152 of 345
Prolly should have stated I am 57 yeàrs old.?.love 60 and 70 music..I may be a little biased....bring it! Lol
I'm 67 but interestingly enough my music taste is perhaps best described as spastic, having an interest in today's heavy bass trance dance music, as well as popular music, rock, and doo wop from the late 50's.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #153 of 345
When you get to your end-game(or at least very close to it), it's really not particularly special. People probably imagine jizz coming out of the ears, but that's not really the case. You hit a point of dimishing returns and changes are so minor that the excitement level doesn't feel like a leap. So, I think when people reach a diminishing level, they probably get bored and taper off.

There's a point in the is hobby that somebody took a giant leap of low-fi to mid-fi or to high-fi, and that was probably an exciting moment.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #154 of 345
When you get to your end-game(or at least very close to it), it's really not particularly special. People probably imagine jizz coming out of the ears, but that's not really the case. You hit a point of dimishing returns and changes are so minor that the excitement level doesn't feel like a leap. So, I think when people reach a diminishing level, they probably get bored and taper off.

There's a point in the is hobby that somebody took a giant leap of low-fi to mid-fi or to high-fi, and that was probably an exciting moment.
I think you've stated it very well. For me, upgrading was always about the promise of a better experience. When I could no longer trust that the promise would be fulfilled was when my passion subsided to just enjoy the system I already had.

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #155 of 345
I was just thinking. So, I just spent my Stax SR-009 money to buy a nice used turntable and a phono preamp. This will let me play my lp collection and get more lps. This is about the same price as a used SR-009. I believe that this is a better decision than buying a used 009 and playing the same music that I already have.

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #158 of 345
IMO yes, after all for me this hobby is all about the music. I buy better mastered and recorded CDs and SACDs. The early CDs made from Japan are well mastered because they are not dynamically compressed.
That's what I come to more and more realization as I try out many different setups/components. The quality of the recording is significantly important.

I have tracks that really blows me away due to the way recording/mastering was done. As you try out many tracks, you realize that certain sound characteristics are really recording's attributes that can mistakenly be pointing fingers at the system.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #159 of 345
I say this all the time: How much you enjoy the music is what matters most; far more than the sound quality of the recording. Some related quotes of mine:

I would much rather listen to music I love that happens to have mediocre or average production quality than music I don't enjoy that happens to be excellently-produced. But for all music, most of the time, I want to get as close as I can to the truth of what is on the recording. I'm fine with the fact that this isn't always pretty.
[Condensing this so it shows up without having to click.] As I mentioned, one of my primary goals is to get as close as I can to the truth of what is on the recording. In other words, high fidelity reproduction of the countless thousands of recordings I listen to, in nearly all genres, ranging from low to high sound quality. The focus for me is the music I like regardless of how well-produced it is. If anything, better gear makes all music more enjoyable for me. But the crucial distinction is that I do not expect crappy recordings to sound like a philharmonic orchestra. The equipment is a tool to enjoy music, not the other way around.
I feel sorry for anyone who exclusively listens to music with superb production quality, because they're missing out on the vast majority of awesome music out there.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #162 of 345
I heard originally mastered tapes recorded in higher fedelity on reel to reel can be great.

That's true. But these tapes will eventually degrade. That's why they are being digitized to preserve them. When I was young we only had reel to reel. So my older brother bought reel to reel copies of Santana, Beatles, Grand Funk Railroad, Yes, etc...

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #165 of 345
I had expensive mc Benz,Lyra ect with Oracle Delphi and Ayre phono ...great stuff?...sold it all ...wife made me keep my records(that's why I love her)6 months later bought project rpm3 carbon and Graham slee phono selection.....you can put stylos from 2m blue on that red and it will shock you.....ended up with 2mblack....much more dynamic than any mc ihave owned..shibata stylos is so quiet and digs so deep....for rock,blues anything dynamic mm might be your friend here

Do you know anything about the Ortofon Rhondo Red MC? It's 0.5mV output, high tracking, 2 - 2.5g. Its got some good reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back