How did you know when you reached your endgame?
Jan 16, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #122 of 345
There are lots of belt drive's out there with adjustable pitch (speed) if that is what you are referring to, some are pretty darn maintenance free as well.

Not exactly, I know you can beatmatch and mix on belt drive tables, it's just harder and more awkward. For example, say I have two records beatmatched but off-phase--is that the right word? Where the down-beat on one is timed the up-beat on the other?--with DD tables you can just pinch the nipple to slow one down enough to match them up, and when you let go it accelerates instantly so they're matched and sync'ed correctly. On a belt drive table you can accomplish the same thing but since the deceleration/acceleration is so much slower it's not as precise, and it's a lot trickier.

Scratching on a belt drive table is another can of worms entirely :xf_eek:

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #123 of 345
Based on my experience as a musician, I think the recording equipment and procedures do a lot more to degrade the original sound than anything else.

As for the mediums themselves, I suppose the process of converting analog to digital and back again isn't advanced enough. (For most systems, at least.)

That's probably more dependent on what is used; no microphone setup can completely and accurately recreate a piano but some are so close the average person and their slightly above average set up would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
A recording entirely done in digital (think EDM) will not have these problems, likewise a recording done entirely as analogue (70's-80's live recordings pressed to tape, vinyl and reel to reel) largely avoided this as well. Your statement only comes into play in the case of some remasters or lesser equipped studios. Even that can be avoided by some off the newer all digital mixing decks.

Fair enough, but it's already been proven that standard PCM is higher fidelity than MQA, DSD, etc.

Everything I have said is based on extensive research and a thorough understanding of objective fidelity. Chord DACs like the Hugo 2, Qutest, and DAVE have better measured performance than every other DAC on the planet. If you choose to dismiss such things (which, again, are proven with all sorts of measurements), well, that's your choice, but it's beyond me why you don't care.

Great, too bad PCM isn't widely known (I'm not even sure if there are any streaming sources offering PCM files) and there aren't many big budget companies pushing it on to the masses vs Tidal and MQA.

I don't much care about measurements, and I don't doubt that chord has focused on doing incredible things (the rave reviews got me interested), but I also know I'm not the only one seeing you waving the chord flag on every other post.
Realistically that's a somewhat personal response and unrelated to the topic at hand; I will preemptively apologize if I come off as an arse but let chord post some flyers for a bit instead.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #124 of 345
Great, too bad PCM isn't widely known (I'm not even sure if there are any streaming sources offering PCM files) and there aren't many big budget companies pushing it on to the masses vs Tidal and MQA.

Incorrect. Nearly all digital audio is PCM. CDs, MP3, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, WAV, most streamed audio, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-code_modulation

I don't much care about measurements, and I don't doubt that chord has focused on doing incredible things (the rave reviews got me interested), but I also know I'm not the only one seeing you waving the chord flag on every other post.
Realistically that's a somewhat personal response and unrelated to the topic at hand; I will preemptively apologize if I come off as an arse but let chord post some flyers for a bit instead.

hehe. It's fine. I talk about things I like and am interested in. I used to post about STAX (electrostatic headphones) all the time, among other things. I only go a little overboard because I look into and try so many things, and only some stand out for me, both from a subjective and objective standpoint. Since I seek the best-measuring equipment, I tend to focus on that in many posts. Another thing to bear in mind is that I have an ungodly post count, and only a small percentage of my posts are actually about Chord.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #125 of 345
Not exactly, I know you can beatmatch and mix on belt drive tables, it's just harder and more awkward. For example, say I have two records beatmatched but off-phase--is that the right word? Where the down-beat on one is timed the up-beat on the other?--with DD tables you can just pinch the nipple to slow one down enough to match them up, and when you let go it accelerates instantly so they're matched and sync'ed correctly. On a belt drive table you can accomplish the same thing but since the deceleration/acceleration is so much slower it's not as precise, and it's a lot trickier.

Scratching on a belt drive table is another can of worms entirely :xf_eek:

Yeah no you do not want to dj on belt drives. I dj as well and have a pair of mk5's I bought new from G.C. around 2003. If I had to do it over again I would have gotten a used pair of sl-1100's.

The 1100's are the best dj tables I have come across including all the sl-1200 variants and super oem's. Some old school dj's used to use Thoren's. I never tried those.

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #126 of 345
Do you know what it is in a technical sense that makes the studio master tapes better?

What about digital recordings?

When it's digital anyway, can't we get as good as it's going to get with a digital file?

I know digital tape exists, but I don't know much about it.

MQA is just one of the latest gimmicks that is lower fidelity than standard PCM, as is DSD. Research this stuff if you don't believe me.

Nothing else in the digital realm is anywhere near as technically advanced as the Chord DAVE DAC, Blu MkII DDC, and upcoming Davina ADC. (All well worth reading up on.) Many studios are going to use the Davina (or whatever it ends up being called) so they can make digital recordings that are closer to the original analog sound than ever before.

Also, I wouldn't make claims about something being better than all reel-to-reel systems if you haven't heard them. (I wasn't making claims myself; just mentioning something I read.) Even when someone prefers something over something else, all that demonstrates is subjective preference. To know which is objectively more accurate, it would require more extensive investigation and scientific tests.
I have no experience with the DACs you mentioned, how about you? And, of course you would not make claims about something being better than all reel to reel systems if you haven't heard them; but, I can easily make claims about the Sony PCM-7000 series of DAT recorders sounding better than analog reel to reel because I have indeed heard the best analog reel to reels out there. I used to direct and produce radio advertising commercials as creative director for an advertising agency. Some of those commercials had jingle and original music b/g's. I sourced the best studios to post those commercials, with partial interest in the equipment inventory of prospect studios to determine capabilities. These studios had awesome analog multi track and mastering recorders; but, all eventually went to DAT for mastering, many using the Panasonic and Fostex DAT recorders for that purpose. Those worked well, from analog or digital mixes; but, I was not convinced it sounded as good as masters made on analog reel to reel. In the early 1990's that changed, and up to about 2000, DAT mastering ruled in arenas formerly occupied by analog reel to reel recorders used for mastering, with sound that was just better all around, whether the finished DAT was produced from digital input, the DAT recorder's internal ADC, or an external ADC and external clock. In this period, the Sony PCM-7000 series of Time-Code DAT recorders stood out for post production. Their DACs, ADCs, and recorder menu to allow user to set sound output/input parameters, made a quality of sound not remotely possible from an analog reel to reel, even with application of noise reduction. And, as I said, to date I have not heard better. One more thing, for mastering and other in my home studio, I used to use a Sony 766-2 reel to reel, a very nice unit; but, even at 15ips, without adding noise reduction of some kind this recorder could not compete in any manner with the Sony PCM-7010F's I own recording at 16/44.1 or 16/48. Of course, DAT is obsolete now so conversation about it is moot. Thing is, it is not advancement in better sounding recording equipment which has made DAT obsolete but rather the ability to record on a computer and transmit the finished product via internet. At the time of reel to reel and DAT, sending a tape meant FedX.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #127 of 345
I have no experience with the DACs you mentioned, how about you?

I have owned Chord DACs, but not their flagship range.

My statements are based on their published technical performance: measurements that have never been achieved before, as well as in-depth explanations from the designer. This is separate from subjective impressions, which are nowhere near as important to me.

I have indeed heard the best analog reel to reels out there.

Thanks for clarifying.

If reel-to-reel is actually nothing special, that's good news for me, because I'd rather not invest in an ultra-high-end analog system, especially since most of the music out there is digital nowadays.

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #128 of 345
So now I have a new analog source.

goldnote-valore-425.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back