How did you damaged your hearing?
Mar 4, 2007 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

tuhnu

100+ Head-Fier
I found this on another thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know this is pretty personal (and off topic), but i'm too curious not to ask: how did you all lose your hearing? i have a huge fear of losing my hearing, almost to the point of phobia...

and became intrested, since it's a topic that relates to me too.

I had a glue ear in my right ear when I was little. I feel like I can hear most of the frequencies with the right ear too, it just feels more distant and not so loud than in the left.

There was a timespan of maybe 15 years when I couldn't hear the hum when you seal the ear canal with your finger. Last year suddenly, to my amazement, I could hear it again after an ear infection. I don't know how it is possible, but it happened and I'm happy. Of course it doesn't sound as loud as in the left ear.

How did you damage your hearing, or how it got damaged?

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 32
Not sure if this counts but somehow wearing canalphones left scarring in my left ear canal. I now have this strange feeling in that ear that never leaves and a painful pressure whenever I seal it with my finger or anything else.

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 32
yeah I damaged my hearing by using open cans with my portable player. The ambient noise caused me to crank the volume like most people do. Now I have partially def in a few very high frequencies and upper midrange. I find it hard at times to understand people in very noisy environments, particularly womens voices. Trying to pick up on somebody at a noisy bar can be a disaster at times. Whut wuz thayt? over and over again. I feel, and I'm sure sound like a retard.

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 32
i think i might have a slight hearing imbalance, with bias towards my right ear. i'm going to have to get it checked out soon, since i don't trust my own judgement with the Audacity tone generator. i can still hear well above 20khz though... and down to below 15hz.

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuhnu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found this on another thread:

and became intrested, since it's a topic that relates to me too.

I had a glue ear in my right ear when I was little. I feel like I can hear most of the frequencies with the right ear too, it just feels more distant and not so loud than in the left.

There was a timespan of maybe 15 years when I couldn't hear the hum when you seal the ear canal with your finger. Last year suddenly, to my amazement, I could hear it again after an ear infection. I don't know how it is possible, but it happened and I'm happy. Of course it doesn't sound as loud as in the left ear.

How did you damage your hearing, or how it got damaged?

My hearing is too good.. I was in my car with the radio blasting, air conditioner on, & my right ear picked up a siren.. Very faint.. My hearing is actually fine.. Was tested in 05.. Ever since I got water in my right ear, I get crackles & pops when I swallow...Nothing I do really helps.. When I tap my fingers near my ears, the right ear seems like theres a bubble covering it compared to my left..But my right ear usually is the first to notice low frequency sounds..

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think i might have a slight hearing imbalance, with bias towards my right ear. i'm going to have to get it checked out soon, since i don't trust my own judgement with the Audacity tone generator. i can still hear well above 20khz though... and down to below 15hz.

I tried this and I with my left ear the lowest I could hear was 7 hz and the highest around 15500 hz. With right it was 9 hz and 13300 hz.

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 32
Hanging around racing machines starting in the 50s and extending to the present, though I did start wearing hearing protection in the 70s, playing with explosives since I was about ten or so, shooting guns from age twenty or so, and working long hours inside really big machines like ships and cranes from age 25 or so. Everything except the work part continues to this day.

I used to be able to hear "ultrasonic" burglar alarms. They were so loud that I would refuse to enter a store with them till they were turned off. Now I have a choir of them singing in my head 24/7.

Teach your kids to protect their hearing as zealously as their sight.

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #12 of 32
Definitely while I was in Junior High school with my walkman and pcdp and while in High school with my 1st gen 32 meg mp3 player. 96kbps on full volume with sony earbuds baby. My ears have never been the same after 8 years of blasting low quality music at 100% volume.

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boot Camp, 1962, firing an M-1 and 45 without hearing protection. My ears rang for a week.

Same here.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #14 of 32
I think the worst of my hearing damage came from riding on a noisy schoolbus during junior high, listening to my cassette player with cheapie earbuds at full blast. I'd get off the bus with my ears ringing from the volume every day.

I probably did a bit of damage during the couple of summers when I would mow the lawn while listening to music on my earbuds, again at full blast. It almost felt like I had earplugs in my ears when I finished because normal sounds seemed so much quieter in comparison.

So, I blame practices like that for my tinnitus and the high-frequency hearing loss I've experienced (apparently it starts to drop off around 15-16 kHz, according to the hearing test I took last year). Thank goodness for IEMs - I take care of my ears now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back