How did you become an audiophile?
Aug 26, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #63 of 79
No the HD598 is avg 52 ohms with a 300 ohm spike at 100hz . The hd598 is one of the brightest and least veiled sennherser following the hd800 and hd700. Its an excellent headphone imo :D

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #64 of 79
It all started with how I could get convincing surround sound out of headphones using a feature on my sound card that I generally overlooked, since I was planning to upgrade 5.1 speaker setups at that point.

I did my research, found that the Audio-Technica AD700 was the way to go for that, got them, and promptly stopped caring about speakers from that point forward because of what I was hearing. It was like having an aural wallhack with CMSS-3D Headphone on.

But then I heard that Stax and electrostatics in general had all the right qualities for gaming, and sure enough, I found an SR-Lambda setup for just $250 and jumped on it immediately, then sold the AD700 because it was thoroughly outclassed in everything. I even found myself listening to music a lot more because of these headphones.

Now I'm hopelessly spoiled. If these were my last headphones ever, I'd be pretty satisfied, but curiosity always gets the better of me when I'm around here, thus I keep buying even more Stax equipment whenever I can afford it. Only time will tell if I descend so far into the pit of audiophile insanity that I decide to spend the big bucks for the SR-007 or SR-009 instead of continuing to be content with the much more affordable Normal bias SR-Lambda.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #65 of 79
Quote:
It all started with how I could get convincing surround sound out of headphones using a feature on my sound card that I generally overlooked, since I was planning to upgrade 5.1 speaker setups at that point.

I did my research, found that the Audio-Technica AD700 was the way to go for that, got them, and promptly stopped caring about speakers from that point forward because of what I was hearing. It was like having an aural wallhack with CMSS-3D Headphone on.

But then I heard that Stax and electrostatics in general had all the right qualities for gaming, and sure enough, I found an SR-Lambda setup for just $250 and jumped on it immediately, then sold the AD700 because it was thoroughly outclassed in everything. I even found myself listening to music a lot more because of these headphones.

Now I'm hopelessly spoiled. If these were my last headphones ever, I'd be pretty satisfied, but curiosity always gets the better of me when I'm around here, thus I keep buying even more Stax equipment whenever I can afford it. Only time will tell if I descend so far into the pit of audiophile insanity that I decide to spend the big bucks for the SR-007 or SR-009 instead of continuing to be content with the much more affordable Normal bias SR-Lambda.

Most overkill gaming headphones ever.

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #67 of 79
Started with Sennheiser 595's and Asus Essence STX, continued with an upgrade to HD650. Then started looking for monitor speakers at ~300EUR price range and ended up with Mark&Daniel Maximus Monitor for a lot lot more. This hobby really hurts your wallet.

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #68 of 79
When the whole Beats thing started getting popular. I would go do research about Beats hoping to find a pair that would suit me, i then stumbled onto Head-Fi..... and the rest as they say is history.

I first got myself a pair of Senn HD 208 Pros, i liked the step up in quality from my iBuds. However the Senns made me really sweaty with their ear pads in the Summer, so i decided to get a pair of IEMs. I shortly made the decision to get the Senn IE80s and a nice dac/amp cause my laptop onboard sound was pretty ****ty. Wow what a difference.

Next on the rader? Audeze LCD2, Schiit Gungnir DAC and Schiit Mjolnir Amp! 

Can't wait!

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #69 of 79
Pretty much the same story for me. Friend got beats, so I got interested in headphones that didn't break the wallet, listened to head-fi recommendations and got a pair of ATH-M50s. That was three years ago.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #70 of 79
Quote:
Most overkill gaming headphones ever.

Overkill? Very much so.

But I kept 'em because I don't just use them for gaming. The way they render music...it makes me want to just seek out and listen to music, more than I usually do. Not even the AD700 really gave me that feeling when I first got it.

Also, I can wear them for hours on end and not complain. They're the most comfortable headphones I've ever had; they just rest on my head more than anything. (However, that's with the vintage headband/arc design; the Nova/numerical-style models with their revised arc have a noticeably higher clamping force, which keeps them on my head a bit better at the cost of long-term comfort.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #71 of 79
I've had different stereos for about 40 years. At one point I realized the quality of the signal was equal to the emotion taking place.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #72 of 79
Really similar story here!

One time I decided to splurge and try better headphones, so I bought a pair of EX55 at RadioShack for $40. They were amazing but they broke, so I bought some VMODA Faze that I wasn't so hot on, so I went to Beats Tours, which sucked, and then I was determined to not get screwed over again, so I started doing research on the web, and boom, Head-Fi.
Quote:
I was really into smartphones last year, always researching the latest and greatest. Then I came across HTC and their Beats line of phones. I read all sorts of comments on how the Beats sounded awesome on the HTC phones. It intruiged me so I decided to look around the internet for other headphones and came across Head-fi..... and the rest, as they say, is history
Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #73 of 79
When I lost apple buds and hit head-fi when looking for replacements

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #74 of 79
Quote:
lol 
bigsmile_face.gif

Btw, I heard that the doctor slapped the babies' *** to make them cry to confirm they can breathe using their own lungs.

What....this is the weirdest thing I've read in a long time. 

Are you serious?

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #75 of 79
My dad was an audiophile. and a music lover. The living room always has a good rig (the last system drove Sonus Faber speakers and Stax headphones) and a LOT of wall space in several rooms was taken by records and later CDs. My dad introduced me to folk, classical and jazz music. My friends introduced me to rock. In high school I wanted to listen to MY music. Sometimes I could hear it on my dad's stereo, but most of the time HE was using it... imagine that. So I started to research what would sound good. I was introduced to one of my dad's friends who managed a record store. He used an Advent 300 receiver and some Stax headphones. My reaction to listening to his compact and significantly cheaper system was WOW. While I couldn't afford Stax at that time, it was certainly more within reach that my dad's system. I ended up starting out with an NAD 3020 integrated amplifier and AKG 240 headphones. A few years later I was able to finally afford a used pair of Stax.  Later I have enough money to get electrostatic speakers. Until recently 99% of listening at home was via speakers because my wife wanted to listen with me and headphones were viewed as a wall. I eventually sold the Stax headhones I owned because I thought if I wasn't using them someone else should enjoy them. In the last year I am using headphones more.  I see another set of Stax in my future :)

--Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back