How did you arrive at Audio Technicas ?
Mar 25, 2008 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

mnemonix

100+ Head-Fier
You can't avoid the fact that Grado, Senns, AKG & Beyer are predominantly the go-to cans for standard recommendations here so I'm curious how AT owners ended up with their cans (particularly the higher end models)?

Sure, ideally you'd have auditioned everything before buying and arrived at them from the start, but that's often not possible, so I suspect (maybe wrongly) that many people started with another can, found they didn't do what they wanted and were forced to look further afield, so what brought you to them ?

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 47
I found out the type of sound signature I really wanted and saw that none of the other manufacturers were providing it. I wanted something with a huge and spatious soundstage, high level of detail, forward presentation, and airiness. This led me to ask in this forum what headphone would do it, and it was the W5000. It was exactly what I was looking for.

One reason many people may not be into Audio Technica is because they really don't have a house sound. Most of their cans sound distinctly different from one another so it's more of a blind risk. You can try one or two and they can be completely different from the others. With AKG, Senn, and Grado they all generally have a house sound which can give you more direction.

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This led me to ask in this forum what headphone would do it, and it was the W5000. It was exactly what I was looking for.

It's on my shortlist actually, along with the RS1 as I want 2 good headphones. The HD650 is the obvious complimentary (as in contrasting) can but I keep trying it and haven't fallen for it yet. I'm concerned that the W5000 isn't sufficiently different from the RS1 (soundstage aside) though.

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 47
For me, I was looking for a good closed can that had great details, speed, and a wide soundstage. I arrived at the W5000. Up to that point, I had only heard the W1000 in the AT lineup. I took a gamble and it paid off. I'm still breaking in the W5000 but I'm pretty sure it's a keeper.

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 47
i started in at land as it is all that is reasonably available here. then i heard my first beyer - at are made well for what is popular in japan: rock. i cannot find them to do well for how i like my electronic music and trance.

that said, their nicer more expensive phones seem to at least make designs that can be worn in public and not catch on train exits!

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 47
I spent some time with just about every house sound save the ATs. I wanted something closed but did not want to sacrifice speed or detail. I think impact in a headphone is over-rated. Impact represents a physical experience to me. My speaker rig has impact in spades. With that being said, I wanted the upper extension and speed of Grados, the sweet midrange of a Senn but tighter focused bass. I decided to try the W1000s despite the fact they have been called thin. I found an excellent deal on a slightly used pair. I was not very impressed at the onset, the brittle upper edge tilted sound indicated what most had reviewed. After an adjustment period, some pink noise and an amp change, I can say that I happy with the W1000. All headphones represent a compromise on some sound front. The W1000 is not different in that regard but I have found a sound that I can live with. The only upgrade I would envision on the headphone side maybe the W5000 eventually or another new AT woody if ever released.

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 47
I owned a Grado SR-125 for about 7 or so years and it was definitely time for a change.

I bought an AKG 271S and it was fine but didn't make me want to put my headphones on much.

Then tried the AKG K701 and sold it because the volumes I had to listen to it at work meant I had screaming treble fatigue within minutes.

Eventually decided on the ATH-W5000 because:
  1. It was Japanese, so slightly exotic with associated build quality and attention to detail.
  2. It was different from anything I could buy in a shop here in the UK.
  3. It had a reputation for having a very specific sound signature which intrigued me.
  4. Had a closed design which was important for sound leakage and a modicum of isolation.
  5. Had wooden earcups and a design which I thought looked really nice.
  6. Was their top of the range model.

When I bought one, whilst very good, it didn't quite fulfill/satisfy or involve me in the way that I wanted.

So I upgraded to the ATH-L3000 when one popped up for sale here.

A fustrating headphone. Whilst clearly inferior to the very top tier, it still has an engaging musicality that keeps drawing me back to it.

The only Sennheiser I've ever owned is the HE90. Heard the HD-650 at a meet and liked it a lot but not enough to buy one yet.

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 47
I was looking for a Jack of All Trades headphone with a large soundstage and good detail that didn't require an amp. Couldn't have been happier with the A900s. I'm looking to get a set of Triple Fi's atm, but after that, my next headphone purchase will surely be the AD2000's and an amp.

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 47
I was researching HD595 and after many threads of people saying that AD700s were better in every way, I jumped. I ordered some AD700s from Newegg but they sent me A700s. I was happy with them and ended up keeping it.

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 47
I needed closed-- or rather non-leaking... Also after owning the CD3000s I wanted to try the Audio-Technicas. I also wanted vintage to ensure the cans stood the test of time (reviews) and had a classic look.

I considered the W5000s but wanted a little more warmth and I could sacrifice soundstage so I went to audiocubes to get a pair from Japan. But then at the last second wanted an older pair of Audio-Technicas for the same relative cost.

I tried desperately to get a pair of W2002s until one Head-fier (Switerzland) who I trusted told me he sold his W2002s because the bass was flabby IHO. It was difficult getting a pair anyway with costs all other the board.

Then I tried desperately for a pair of W11JPNs -- which are even more rare and nailed a pair from a nice Head-fier in South Africa. They cost a lot.

IMO the sound signature (SS) is not unusual but I agree with previous posters the SS jack of all trades, in-between, a mix, hybrid, ... For me they ar in-between AKG and Sony-- that's how I would describe it. Probably not the best description but they met my expectation. Kind of fun sounding-- at least the older woodie models.

But why are they not so considered? Here is my opinion.

1. Geography
See all the bolded items above-- the Audio Technicas are International headphones. From my view, Head-fiers are mostly from the 50 States so to get a pair a Head-fier must go over shore. Some head-fiers are leery of overseas shipping, returns, issue handling, customer service, etc. At the very least you have to buy them new from Japan.

2. Cost
See all the bolded items above--
smily_headphones1.gif
the Audio-Technicas (full size woodies) start around $700.00 USD. That's expensive for most Head-fiers-- most humans for that matter.
smily_headphones1.gif
Used versions can command somewhat lower or significantly higher costs. Most used headphones cost less-- IIRC Audio Technicas generally cost more used-- sans W5000.

Now open versions cost significantly less (new or used) and they seem to get good feedback here. But why go to Japan for a phone you can get from headroom for the same price and same quality? Unless you are looking for that exact sound it's quicker and *safer* to just buy in the US.

3. Lack of Flavor of the Month Talk
I would gather A-T woodies may get less play in the lineup but are rarely sold. Why? Because they are so pretty!!
smily_headphones1.gif
and rare and some head-fiers do not want to part with them even if they do not get a lot of use-- so given that there is not a lot of current chatter, talk about them. Also A-T (the company) does not come out with a new King lineup often enough.

Take AKG-- they released the K701-- their new King. Then they also released the K601 (Prince). Every 3-4 years this will happen. I do not believe this is the case with Audio Technica -- also they do not have a closed lineup-- its either the W5000 or open. I guess you could consider the W1000 but they are (per reviews) very far from the W5000 is SQ.

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 47
1. Got intrigued by the suggestion that AT's sound very differently from others, with 3-d soundstage and great separation, and lots of detail.
- purchased W5000, love it for a while, but in the end I wanted more bass.
2. After a bunch of other equipment going back and forth (even had Edition 9 at certain point), I saw ESW9 come up on the market and saw many reviews that basically led me to believe that it was much like W5000, with smaller soundstage and more bass. That sold me on them, and I pretty much use them exclusively until a full-size bassier W5000 comes about (or I break down and balance a 650)

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 47
I ended with the W5000 cause the high points of the headphone sounded like my kind of thing (good with vocals, big soundstage, etc).
I also think that they are the prettiest headphone out there, that didn't hurt my decision in getting them either.

I still like them a lot, even though I have fit issues with it, I'm giving it another try.

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 47
I'm shallow, saw a picture of the W1000s while searching the net, instant woodie love and purchase.
Now I'm just an AT groupie and await their next hi-end headphone with trembling credit card.

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 47
Been listening to Japanese music for 8 years now. I then did research and landed myself some ATH-AD2000s but went to head-fi @ san jose. Got to hear the ATH-W11JPNs. Sounded so beautiful I cried. Went home, sold the AD2Ks. (Got ruined by the Orpheus tho.)

When did this get edited?  (6 years later correction)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back