How did you arrive at Audio Technicas ?
Mar 25, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #16 of 47
I had a pair of HD 555s and people on this message board kept saying how the ad700s were better. So I ordered the ad700s with the plan to sell the pair of cans that I liked the least. The ad700s won of course.

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #17 of 47
I have been using my Grado HHF-1's for some time, tried a Beyer pair and the K701's and they left me flat. I was looking for a large and detailed sound, and wanted to try another type of phone. I had a conversation with Mikael (sp) at Single power and asked for can recommendations. All the phones he recommended were out of production, including one from AT. I looked into these forums and learned of the W5000. The soundstage and detail were empahasized in these forums and this is what I was after. I was also willing to pay a bit more to find a headphone that I could enjoy and stop the upgraditis. I also tend to go for products that are less common, a snob appeal type of thing I admit. I ended up finding a new pair of W5000 on ebay about a month ago. I did have to bend them for a tighter fit, which made a HUGE difference and now I am enjoying them immensely with SS and with tube amps and with rock, fusion, and jazz. They also are great looking to boot. To me this was a case of getting what you paid for in that the relatively high cost has been worth it to me in listening enjoyment.

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #18 of 47
I was looking for a good deal on some gaming headphones that didn't need an amp. The A700 fit the bill perfectly. I later moved up to the AD900 and now those are my main PC headphones.

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking for a good deal on some gaming headphones that didn't need an amp. The A700 fit the bill perfectly. I later moved up to the AD900 and now those are my main PC headphones.

How much better are the ad900s compared to the 700s?

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks all, i'm enjoying the replies whilst I wait for my ESW9s and contemplate a higher end AT buy!

At first I thought you worked for AT and were doing market research... but that above made me reverse my assumption!

I listened to the a700s and was impressed, then my porta-pros broke and started looking for a better portable headphone when i remembered those ATs. I heard the ESW9 (my first and only [so far] purchased AT headphone) and i was sold almost immediately.

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much better are the ad900s compared to the 700s?

Than the A700's? They are two very different headphones. I think most would describe the AD900 as a higher quality headphone but the A700 has it's appeal as a bass heavy closed headphone. Both have a great sound stage.

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 47
1) The weird "wing" headband lacks a middle section and thus doesn't hit a pressure point on the very top of my head.

2) They fit people with melon-heads quite well.

3) They have a nice "all around" sound that's good for most music, movies and games.

4) They are comfortable as all get-out. Certainly more comfortable than anything else I've used short of the beyerdynamic DT880.

That's pretty much it for me. I love my AD700s. I'm so glad Audio-Technica makes open headphones now (I hate closed cans).

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Than the A700's? They are two very different headphones. I think most would describe the AD900 as a higher quality headphone but the A700 has it's appeal as a bass heavy closed headphone. Both have a great sound stage.

My bad. I meant the ad700s.

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #25 of 47
AD900 is a step up from the AD700. I've heard both but I can't tell too much difference between the two. Maybe I have tin ears. =(

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #26 of 47
I was in search of a replacement for HD280. It came down to AKG271 and ATH-A900. Since the A900 had better bass and worked well without an amp, that's what I went with. From then, I went up the chain.

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by phkd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At first I thought you worked for AT and were doing market research... but that above made me reverse my assumption!

Nope! I find most "which is best" & "this vs that" threads are endless repeats that 5 minutes with the search can find the answer to anyway, but the journey is often more enlightening than the destination!

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #28 of 47
My AD700s sound great even out of my crappy onboard sound card. I couldn't say the same for my old DT880s. D=

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #29 of 47
Started with A900 that I purchased based on numerous recommendations here. Was quite happy with those for quite a while until discovered K271S that just walked over them. W5000 really piqued my attention after reading this review http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/war...sa5000-178410/
Can't remember being impressed that much by any headphones after I finally got them. After that it was a logical acquisition of AD2000 followed by ESW9. And they all sound totally different and each is great on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back