How demanding is engineering? (Electrical / Computer Engineering)
Mar 31, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #31 of 49
As far as I know, Petrol Engineering would be a mix of Chem E and Mech E, where as Mine Engineering would be a mix of Mech E and Geology. The best school I know of for mining is the Colorado School of Mines.

Looking back on things in a non realistic world (ie no family obligations on the East coast and ablility to travel freely), I would have pursued this school and a career in mining engineernig. I am a hands on kind of person and like doing things myself and the desk job I have now (no hands on work at all) is something that I won't be able to tolerate more than a few years. This is something to keep in mind when pursuing a career.

And hopefully the economy picks up for you younger guys. I graduated, then had to wait about 6 months to find any job, which was a temp job as a lab tech (ie poorly paid entry level engineer). This was after many interviews. After 8 months of that I was able to find my current position. I really need to get back into some form of design eventually which is what I really enjoy. Just keep in mind that even since I started school (~7 years ago), starting salaries have dropped $5-8K I would say. Hopefully things will improve.

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #32 of 49
Current University of Waterloo CE undergrad right now, and it's been a rollercoaster ride for me. Never, ever think that you can get by on slacking, else you'll learn it the hard way (like me). And I'm in a co-op program, and with all my employers, they do place emphasis on grades, but not as much as you think. At least with my current employer, they look more at experience and personality of the potential candidate. If you ever have the chance at internships/co-op/workplace experiences, don't hesitate, especially if you want to stick around in the industry. Connections are very important.

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #33 of 49
I did Co-ops as well, Northeastern is a 5 year program with three six month Co-ops. Were great experiences, helped my pay for school (and a car), and my current job is kinda sorta related to one company I worked for (company got sold, I work in the same building in a different branch than I used to, but the Co-op experience helped me). If your not a high grades kind of person (like myself), the job experience is so valuable graduating. I had almost 2 years of solid experience when I got out along with a great education. Co-op programs are highly recomended.

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #34 of 49
On unrelated note, I am considering to go to northeastern and be a "middler" doing co-ops to get some experience and a potential job. sharkz, can you describe your personal experience specifically at northeastern majoring in engineering?

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #35 of 49
I would say do it. I had a great experience there. The administration did a good job of actually listening to us. We brought up things that we thought didn't make sense as underclassmen and they have been changed. IE some courses that were useless or summer scheduling that wasn't fair to certain rotations based on Co-ops. To reiterate what others have said, within engineering, there are no extra classes. I took a humanities class freshman year, then didn't have another elective until my senior (5th) year. I had maybe 5 electives the whole time in school, enough to satisfy a humanities class and get a Minor in Business Administration (4 classes).

The school's reputation has been going way up, a few years ago people hadn't heard of it, now people are impressed to hear you went there (stupid I know, but it does matter). Also important is that earlier graduates are starting make large donations and the school is pumping money into facilities. In the Mech E program, many of the labs were new with top of the line equipment.

The Co-ops especially were helpful. I had three great experiences at companies, got a ton of experience, got a break between classes, and made some money to put toward school. Having the Co-ops unquestionably gave me a leg up on others when graduating.

If you have any other questions, feel free to get in touch with me. I can tell a good amount about at least Mechanical and also some about EE/Comp E (had some friends there).

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #37 of 49
I know some alumni / current students at Northeastern. They all really like the school and they are all wonderfully practical, just-do-it people. BU is no slouch either though, that's a really tough choice >.< Good luck on your decision!

Also, in regards to your worry about your background and what classes you'll be taking: classes are taught with the assumption that you know nothing of the subject going in. I know some people who came in without any calculus and now kick my ass in the subject(I took Calc BC). College classes are harder so the advantage someone might have will wear thin pretty quickly.

Apr 3, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #38 of 49

Quote:
Hey there!

I'm a senior in high school who is about to graduate. I was accepted to Boston University's College of Engineering under Computer Engineering, and I'm having second thoughts about my declared major. I go to a slightly above average high school in Boston, and have had background in Physics I and II which deals with kinematics and electromagnetism for the most part with no calculus, where the hardest math uses trigonometry. I have taken Calculus, but nothing past integrating and deriving basic problems, nothing of the AP sort. I was just wondering if any engineers here at Head-Fi can describe their first year as an undergrad taking engineering. Will I do okay given the knowledge I have right now? Is it major even worth it with our current economy? Is it possible that American engineers will be outsourced by Indian and Chinese engineers? How was the workload? 

I'm a bit late coming into this conversation, but I'll answer as best as I can (from my own experiences), though most of what I have to say has already been said.

You already say you have taken physics and some calculus so you are already at a pretty good point. Most college engineering programs are designed around having you start taking calculus and calculus-based physics right in your first semesters and are designed to get you through the program (if you follow it to the letter) in 4 years. My father is a professor of Petroleum engineering at University of Alaska Fairbanks and you would not believe how many e-mails he gets from students that try to ask him if they will be able to start an engineering program with no physics and Geometry or Level 2 Algebra as their highest math class. In my experience though, even though I finished my program in 4 years, it seems like the current trend has been to relax a little bit and complete the program in 5 years. Personally though, the first year wasn't that bad...at least at UAF it's mostly just an introduction to Engineering and a weed-out class to see who can be discouraged from engineering off the bat. The really nasty year (for me) was definitely 3rd year. That was the year that made me question my decision, but once I finished and got to 4th year, I was glad I stuck with it. So personally, with what you describe as your current knowledge level, you're gonna do just fine (IMO). Workload is heavy though. The program is heavy on lab hours no matter where you go, so between class hours, lab hours, HW and Post-Lab analysis, you aren't going to have a lot of time to yourself for 4 years. This is part of the reason so many people stretch the program out to 5-6 years these days.

With regards to engineering being worth it? As some people have stated, it's not going to make you rich. But the paycheck should keep you comfortably at middle to upper middle class, depending on what you end up working on and who your employer ends up being. As also stated by others, Engineering continues to be one of the few degrees where a Bachelors Degree still has clout in the work force. And I will also recommend: if you want to pursue a Masters/PhD, do yourself a favor and try to get a job first and work in the industry for a couple of years before going back to finish a post-graduate degree. In many cases, larger companies that employ engineers will even pay some or all of your expenses towards going back to school. I started working as a field engineer right after I graduated (Bachelors in Electrical Engineering, but working in Petroleum) and a year later, I got my company to pay for me to finish my Masters part time, (Masters in Engineering Management). Now, a year after that, I still have them on the hook to pay for me to finish a PhD which I'm working to finish while I continue to work for them.

With regards to outsourcing: already happening, and likely to continue happening. Speaking as an Indian born here in the United States, I worried about this same issue myself. Why would a company want to hire me at a certain cost to them, when they could hire an Indian or Chinese citizen Engineer for substantially less? However, there is a flip side to this that works in favor of American engineers. In previous years, you saw a lot of prospective engineers from India and China come to the US, get hired for engineering jobs and then stay in the US, thus edging out American engineers. This was especially a problem because they got paid much more as engineers here than back home and the standard of living was therefore, better here. However, with the economy in both of these regions (and many others in Asia) booming the way it is, I have spoken to many of my friends in India and many of my friends from India who came here to finish a Masters, and much of the talk these days is about going back home because the pay for engineers back home has improved substantially for them, and with what they make back home, they can afford a much higher standard of living than they could with the pay here in the US. On what I make, I still live at home with my parents (It isn't worth it for me to keep a house or apartment when I am out in the field), and I make enough to keep myself comfortable debt-free, make easy payments on the car I just bought and in general, not have to worry too much about money. A handful of my friends in India who are my age and went back after finishing their Masters already have their houses paid off, already have money placed aside to pay off their spouses education (if their spouse is still in school when they get married), and have 2 cars and the usually maid, gardener, driver, etc...With the standard of living improving elsewhere in the world, I think engineering in the USA remains a very viable option for prospective American Engineers wanting to stay home.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #39 of 49
i am in Electronics and communication major first year,and yep its a tough one. preparatory year wasnt bad and the load of work wasnt so big and subjects were relatavly easy to digest.
its a hard major EE or computer engineering,loads of work,you have to be patient and thinkfull and read lots and lots of things in the text book and the net.i did more work on the net than written the first semester because this major is very labs heavy.you get labs in circuits,electronics,java,c++,technical report writing,fields,signals,matlab........ofcourse with reports.i submitted in the first semester not less than 20 reports,but the reward is that i learned ALOT from searching the net and reading more in each area.

i hate programming(java,c++...) and i am not looking to be proficient in software engineering,i am much more interested in electronics.

hard major,needs heavy work and as others said stick with a nice hard working group of friends so that they can push you forward and to do projects together...alot of projects.
i am enjoying it,and i am planning in summer to take extra courses and continue  doing DIY.
dont worry about money or work now,its a very diverse major and rewarding.

good luck mate.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #40 of 49
You go through 4 years of rigorous problem solving.  You will reap its benefits. You will even learn to look forward to problems.  After you proven yourself with engineering degree, you will pick up on things much quicker IMO because you learn to understand complex concepts from  4 years of solving problems and understanding of theory.  I always thought all that theory stuff they teach you in school is not that practical, but practical in understand things I would say.  The way my schools teach you is, you learn all the theory or fundamentals, then you do more focused classes(practical) later on.  Taking practical classes my senior year after all those non-sensical EE theories made me real happy because it all made sense and everything came together.  Without the theoritical backbone, I probably wouldn't have understood as deep as I could.

IMO BS in engineering is BS in being cable of undstanding complex concepts.  In the real world, its helpful for you to learn new things and pick up on complex concepts, so it applies to majority of occupations if you are a capable engineer.  An analytical mind is very valuable in the real world. In my school, you had finance companies trying to steal engineers.  Not surprising, engineers can do anything.
tongue.gif

Be prepared to stay up all night, and get less than 5 hours of sleep on most days.  If it was easy, we would all have engineering degrees.

Quote:
Wow, I really didn't expect this level of response from Head-Fi in just two days with this thread. I'm thoroughly impressed.

I think I'll give engineering a try. I'm glad none of you guys regret it. 

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #41 of 49

Quote:
IMO BS in engineering is BS in being cable of undstanding complex concepts.  In the real world, its helpful for you to learn new things and pick up on complex concepts, so it applies to majority of occupations if you are a capable engineer.  An analytical mind is very valuable in the real world. In my school, you had finance companies trying to steal engineers.  Not surprising, engineers can do anything.
tongue.gif

Be prepared to stay up all night, and get less than 5 hours of sleep on most days.  If it was easy, we would all have engineering degrees.

My RA is some sort of business major, and apparently one of his professors flat out told him, "An engineer can do anything you can do, and he can do it better. He just chooses not to."

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #42 of 49
PhD PE here.  I work at a federal research center and teach part-time and can't imagine doing anything else!  An undergrad engineering degree is frankly one of the best programs in terms of finding a well-paying and enjoyable job.  And it's probably one of the few where you can pay off loans fairly quickly (ratio of 4-year degree cost to starting salary cost).  You really need to start co-ops and internships as soon as possible.  One or two by graduation is a must.  If you think you might like R&D then grad school is a requirement.  An MS is usually not a very valuable degree in engineering fields, though it varies.  The out of pocket cost of an MS is almost never worth it in terms of increased salary.  Many departments now offer "professional" Masters which is just an MS without the thesis portion - in other words a few semesters of coursework.  If you do decide on an MS, have your company pay for it.

If you know that academia or R&D is for you (hard to know at this stage), then a PhD is a must.  The best path is straight out of undergrad.  I've seen a lot of people try to complete a PhD program later after working for awhile, and it's just so demanding.  If you're lucky and determined, a PhD is attainable in 4-6 years.  Most of the "night school" PhDs take 10+ years to finish.  Many PhD students in engineering get full tuition coverage and a yearly stipend of anywhere from $15k to $30k - it usually depends on the local cost of living.  You will basically be broke throughout grad school, but at least you should not have any loans to pay back.

Starting and median salaries are quite variable.  IEEE publishes salary surveys and I would suggest looking at some recent data to get a better idea.  $50-70k for a BS with at least some internship experience is typical.  Again there is variability that depends on location, work experience, etc.  A Master's probably only ads another $2-4k year.  PhD provides a big bump in starting salary and a very big increase in long term salaries.   In general this is because PhDs have a much easier time moving up through management.   In my opinion, the job satisfaction provided from having a PhD far outweigh any economic considerations.

Anyway, good luck on your career path and please stick with it even though it may be painful at times !

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #43 of 49
It really depends on a person's talents and interest.  If you have the engineering mind and/or really enjoys it, it'll be a breeze (slight exaggeration of course).

But consider the up side of an engineering degree.  It opens the door to numerous rewarding and well paying jobs... and not just in the field of engineering.  You can take your engineering degree and go into the medicine, law...etc.

I'm an EE grad, now in the medical field.  And I think my undergrad record as an EE probably helped me matched into a pretty competitive residency, if only just a little. 

Dip your toes in and found out for yourself... beats anyone else's experience and opinion.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #44 of 49
Wow, hardcore.  I thought it was GPA that counts to get into Med school, so you would take the easiest undergrad classes possible along with the requirements to look good for med school.  

Quote:
It really depends on a person's talents and interest.  If you have the engineering mind and/or really enjoys it, it'll be a breeze (slight exaggeration of course).

But consider the up side of an engineering degree.  It opens the door to numerous rewarding and well paying jobs... and not just in the field of engineering.  You can take your engineering degree and go into the medicine, law...etc.

I'm an EE grad, now in the medical field.  And I think my undergrad record as an EE probably helped me matched into a pretty competitive residency, if only just a little. 

Dip your toes in and found out for yourself... beats anyone else's experience and opinion.

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #45 of 49

Quote:
Wow, hardcore.  I thought it was GPA that counts to get into Med school, so you would take the easiest undergrad classes possible along with the requirements to look good for med school. 

I'd say about 1/3 of my ChemE UG class was pre-med.  Engineering provides a very competative advantage compared to other majors.  Take a few bio electives and you've already got most of the MCAT covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back