How demanding is engineering? (Electrical / Computer Engineering)
Mar 30, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #16 of 49
^^

I wonder if being an engineer and music fan just naturally leads to being an audiophile. It's in our blood to optimize and continually improve things on a technical front...so continually tweaking and improving sound just seems to naturally fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlJsPa6UwcM

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #17 of 49
Wow, I really didn't expect this level of response from Head-Fi in just two days with this thread. I'm thoroughly impressed.

I think I'll give engineering a try. I'm glad none of you guys regret it. 

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #18 of 49
Wow, I really didn't expect this level of response from Head-Fi in just two days with this thread. I'm thoroughly impressed.

I think I'll give engineering a try. I'm glad none of you guys regret it. 

Not now. :p

During my 4th year Plant Design project and 72 hours of constant work (all at school...slept in our common room for an hour here and there), I did. But once you get though that hell, you feel that you can accomplish almost anything.

So 15 years later, it's been a very rewarding career. From medical devices to pharmaceutical manufacturing to now mil/aero electronics...it's been a fun ride. And the pay isn't too bad either. :wink:

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #19 of 49
Not to get into anything too personal but how common is it for an engineer to make six figures and how much experience must you have before you get jobs that pay well? Unfortunately school expenses will probably be a burden for me; I wouldn't want to work so hard only to be neck deep in college loans for an extended period of time. 

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #20 of 49

Quote:
Not to get into anything too personal but how common is it for an engineer to make six figures and how much experience must you have before you get jobs that pay well? Unfortunately school expenses will probably be a burden for me; I wouldn't want to work so hard only to be neck deep in college loans for an extended period of time. 

I'd just like to say that if your parents are poor ($75,000 bracket), colleges usually give you a "full ride" regardless of your SAT and GPA score. If you get in, you will get the money. Unless you are middle class, then disregard this post. America screws the middle class over, this is the first time I've seen it face to face. This will not be the last. 

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #21 of 49
Unfortunately my parents are what our current president considers wealthy (although in reality not so much) so I fear that I will qualify for little aid. Due to some more recent hardships my parents have little savings towards something like my education. I am sure they can come up with money but I would rather plan for the worst: being self sufficient. :O *gasp*

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #22 of 49
Quote:
Marvin, I'm glad to hear that a graduate degree isn't a big deal right away, I was definitely planning on joining the work force right out of school if possible, but people are always talking about grad school like it's totally necessary.

Engineering is special in that an undergrad degree is still worth more than a hill of beans. Can't say that about too many majors anymore. Assuming that the job market improves, you'll find that most of your classmates will leave for industry upon finishing undergrad.

Quote:

Bluntly speaking, engineering isn't going to make you rich. On average, entry level salaries are in the $50-60k range with late career salaries in the $120-150k range in today's dollars. Certain fields (petrol, especially if you work overseas) make a bit more, certain fields (civil, especially if you work for the government) make a bit less. Any way you slice it, engineering is a straight track to a decent life in suburbia with the rest of the middle class for most.

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #23 of 49

Quote:
Unfortunately my parents are what our current president considers wealthy (although in reality not so much) so I fear that I will qualify for little aid. Due to some more recent hardships my parents have little savings towards something like my education. I am sure they can come up with money but I would rather plan for the worst: being self sufficient. :O *gasp*

You will, at the very least, get access to enough federal loans to at least pay most of the tuition at an average state university.  Cost of living and such will be a bit more difficult.

I went as far as getting a few private loans - do yourself a favor, and join a credit union if you haven't already.  If you need to take out any private loans, take them all from there, where the interest rates will be better - and you won't have to deal with almost half a dozen banks as I have.  Luckily my only big ones are from the credit union.

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #24 of 49
Dammit marvin why did you have to plainly speak what was on my mind! Haha. Now I will never decide what I want. I don't know. Sure, money isn't everything but it seems to be the first step in having an "easy" life. But petrol engineering appeals to me since I don't like being stagnate. I love travelling. I am lucky enough to have parents that have the means to expose me to the world. My question remains, what the hell can I do with a degree in economics? It really seems to be hit or miss as far as getting a good job in that sort of "field". 

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #25 of 49
Mining engineers get to travel the world, screw petrol!

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #27 of 49

Quote:
ME would also be applicable in mining as well then, right? If so then that is what I will pursue...or economics...

Mining engineering is an actual program, but I'd bet that it's more ChemE than MechE.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #28 of 49
So is petrol engineering...at like 12 universities here in the States. I thought ChemE was more applicable than ME for petrol until I did some research, maybe it is the same for mining? 

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #29 of 49
I'm neither of them but I have a lot of friends in both.  Electrical engineering could possibly be the most demanding major on course.  Averages of many of the tests are in the 40s and 50s.  Computer engineering is pretty time consuming. You really have to like programming.  I know people that spend like 10 hrs every day in the weekend making an MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back