How decent is your car audio system?
Mar 3, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #47 of 65
Ok, I upgraded my car's front speakers last week with some Alpine type-S speakers.
It still has the stock head-unit, no amp, no sub, but that's fine for my purposes.
I also have a pentium in the boot, that's been running mp3's for years
smily_headphones1.gif

There doesn't seem to be a straightforward way to tune car speakers - I have a 32 band equalizer (mpg123) but so far I can't even find a good starting point with just the bass+treble, some tracks are better up, others down.

Mar 3, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #48 of 65
Not decent at all - I "use" the stock system in my 2004 Accord. And by "use" I mean I sometimes have the radio on for background noise. No way I'd let it butcher one of my favorite albums. I don't think I'd ever be really happy with a car audio system, so I'm not going to throw any cash that way. I'd much rather have a really nice setup at home, which is what I'm going for.

Mar 3, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #49 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clown12
There doesn't seem to be a straightforward way to tune car speakers - I have a 32 band equalizer (mpg123) but so far I can't even find a good starting point with just the bass+treble, some tracks are better up, others down.

I have found that, at least with my speakers, it depends more on the speed I will be driving and how many windows/moonroof will be open.

Mar 3, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #50 of 65
I have an Alpine head unit, Boston Acoustics splits and Rockford Fosgate subs. I like to have good sound in may car. If you don't have good sound in your car you can't really be into good music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Pales in comparison my headphones.

So Edwood, this means that you only sunk a mere $10k into the car, right?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick
right now its:

Clarion DRZ-9255 (96khz sampling, dual 24bit burr brown DAC's, blah blah)
Diamond Audio HEX s600s components (I have there new D9 components on order, they should arrive any day now).
Diamond Audio D7152 (150x2 @ 4 ohms) for the components
Diamond Audio TDX 12" subwoofer
Diamond Audio D7401 (800x1 @ 2 ohms) for the subwoofer
180 amp high output alternator

Diamond Audio, w00t!! Being an owner of many HPM-4100 home speakers, I've been dying to hear some HEXs. How are they treating you? I was thinking of springing for a set, but can't justify the cost to get the entire system decked out properly. Those babies cost a pretty penny..

I'm running stock crap in a Grand Am. Hope to upgrade it with the cheapest combo of component parts I can find that sounds good (time to Parts Express skim!)

Mar 3, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #52 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy006
I've been dying to hear some HEXs.

Can't imagine we'll be having forward vs laidback arguments in car stereo.
smily_headphones1.gif
I found HEX to have sharp treble like Quarts and prefer the more laidback a/d/s tweeters.

600smile.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #53 of 65
the HEX's have been treating me fine, been using them for 2 years and they are always up to the task.
i have the silk tweeter version of the HEX's, and they are a lot more laid back than the aluminum version, its a good thing diamond offers both.
my new set of D9 components should arrive tomorrow, but i wont be able to install them until i make some kick panels for them, although at there price, they better sound damn good
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, i think the hex might have dropped in price slightly this year, with all the new stuff diamond put out, i can see why they might (the HEX is still a current model)

Mar 4, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #55 of 65
I have four Infinity 63.5i, 6.5 inch, 3 way speakers powered by an Alpine MRV F340 a/b biased amp replacing my stock 6.5s. I wanted a stock look so no headunit for me. Powering my three ten inch Audiobahn Alum10Qs is a JBL 1200.1D amp. That's 1440 watts of RMS power.
wink.gif

Did I mention that I'm a basshead? I do monitor how high I listen to the music.

As for my bro, he's going with an all Adire audio set up 'cept he will have replacement speakers in the front, 6 inch woofers in place of the rear speakers, and a 10 or 12 inch woofer for the main low frequencies. We've had good experiences with Adire in our home theater. Many car audio people will tell you that the rear speakers are next to worthless, so why not replace them with 6 inch woofers for nice mid range bass?
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #56 of 65
Bog standard aiwa - its meh !, but it does have an external input for an Mp3 player or whatever and it has pretty blue lights. Normally listen to PBS so quality is not an issue...

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #57 of 65
I'm thinking about this system in a 2001 4-door Pontiac GranDam... and I would like to know how it will do... or any changes I should make...

2- 20sq.ft. sheets of dynamat
2- 12in. Power Acoustik MOFO-122X Subs
1- Power Acoustik BAMF-5500/1D (BAMF55001/D) Amp
1- Fierce Audio 12" Dual Ported Sub Box
2- Polk Audio - 4" x 6" Plate-Mounted Speakers (front)

2- JBL - 6" x 9" 2-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones (rear)

and 2 new tweeters.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #58 of 65
Quote:
I'm thinking about this system in a 2001 4-door Pontiac GranDam... and I would like to know how it will do... or any changes I should make...

2- 20sq.ft. sheets of dynamat
2- 12in. Power Acoustik MOFO-122X Subs
1- Power Acoustik BAMF-5500/1D (BAMF55001/D) Amp
1- Fierce Audio 12" Dual Ported Sub Box
2- Polk Audio - 4" x 6" Plate-Mounted Speakers (front)

2- JBL - 6" x 9" 2-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones (rear)

and 2 new tweeters.

SHWEEET !

Sorry for ya wallet and hearing ;')

Users who are viewing this thread

Back