How come all the ultra high end headphones have all been discontinued??
Apr 9, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #46 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hrmm that H2 headphone sounds interesting. Any reviews out there at all? Or a link to where to buy them? I might check them out ;p

When funds have recooped!

Taket-H2 -> http://www.taket.jp/about2/about2.html
Order -> http://www.taket.jp/order/order.html

I have searched, but found no reviews. Perhaps others have been more lucky?

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #47 of 123
You guys crack me up...seriously. You need to understand that in the audio hobby, after a certain point, the price has nothing to do with performance but more with the bling-bling factor of the gear.

Thinking that a $1,000+ headphone will magically provide you a "ultra high-end" sound simply because of the tag price is very naive!

You wanna ultra high-end sound with your phone? Start with ultra high-end source and work down the audio chain. Too often you guys forgot it's a whole "CHAIN". A $2,000 phone pluged into ipod won't give you the high-end!

...Or switch to speakers, hopefully they are not like headphones, improvements have been made over the years and we don't have to pay a fortune for outdated 20 years old speakers...
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #48 of 123
I think there are a whole bunch of issues here, but one is that the headphone market is getting stronger. Many of these headphones were discontinued a while ago, and they may be a bit more profitable today. But most people just aren't willing to spend that much on headphones, even if they can afford it. I've owned nearly all the expensive headphones discussed here (HE60, HE90, Omega II, Qualia, K1000 (3x), Edition 9, GS1000; also, I've spent extensive time with the R10 and the L3000). Some of the headphones (to me) were significanly worse than headphones 1/10 of the price. I didn't like the Qualia or the K1000, I disliked the the L3000, GS1000, etc. Some headphones I liked quite a bit, but not enough to justify keeping them over the HD650 or the K701. For example, I think the Omega II is a great headphone. But with the right amplification, or balanced, the HD650 is pretty close. To me, it actually does a few things much better (like impact).

So, not only is there a small market of people willing to spend that much on headphones (because people who can afford $3,000 headphones usually have a house and can buy $5,000 speakers with no concern of disturbing the neighbors), but also some of us that can afford them, don't see the need. I will continue to buy every high-end headphone that comes out on the market to see if it is worth the extra money over the HD650 or the K701, but so far only the HE60 has been worth it for me (and I decided to go dynamic instead).

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #49 of 123
Quote:

Thinking that a $1,000+ headphone will magically provide you a "ultra high-end" sound simply because of the tag price is very naive!

Mastergill, I think that's a straw man you're arguing against. I don't think peope are arguing that it's automatic or a given, I think we are talking about hypothetical headphones that perform at a level commensurate with price. Like I pointed out, the last several attempts at high-end cans have (apparently, I haven't heard them all) underperformed based on user feedback. At least we can say with certainty they haven't managed to enter the "pantheon" of well-loved phones like the Orpheus, Omega, and R10, or even the HD650 or K701, all of whom have many people who will gladly argue each one actually earns its price tag.

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #50 of 123
Well high price certainly doesn't mean it'll tweak your nips, it all depends on what you like the sound of. I'd rather listen to koss KSC75s over 90% of what's out there, including the HD 650, sTAX 404, every Grado I've heard, so yeah.. Price is no indicator of what you'll like.

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #51 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well high price certainly doesn't mean it'll tweak your nips, it all depends on what you like the sound of. I'd rather listen to koss KSC75s over 90% of what's out there, including the HD 650, sTAX 404, every Grado I've heard, so yeah.. Price is no indicator of what you'll like.

Agreed completely (except for the headphone choices: Stax 404 was one of the worst headphones I've heard so far, at least on its own amp, and no Grado has come close to headphones in the $100 range, but we will have to agree to disagree on the HD650 and the K1000, as I love the former and am only neutral on the latter).

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #52 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed completely (except for the headphone choices: Stax 404 was one of the worst headphones I've heard so far, at least on its own amp, and no Grado has come close to headphones in the $100 range, but we will have to agree to disagree on the HD650 and the K1000, as I love the former and am only neutral on the latter).

It's because I like lean upfron fast cans like the K1000 and SR-X so not slapping the 650, it's only my preference. I'd probably like the R10 and Qualia for the same reason from what I can gather. I probably wouldn't go a huge bundle on the O2 from descriptions but only listening would determine that for sure. However, none of these are in my affordable range so I'm happy with my 3 main cans.

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #53 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And can anyone really say that these exotic headphones sound better than the K701? Probably different, but not better than the K701 methinks.

with unabashed certainty - the K701's were nice, but IMO are nowhere near reference quality. I actually preferred the 650's to them... and the RS-1's/GS1000's cream them without a doubt.

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #54 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have searched, but found no reviews. Perhaps others have been more lucky?

Theres a few Japanese websites related to audio shows which have a few pics and mention them, but theres no actual review that I've been able to find, not for want of looking. Theres not even a review links section on the website. First result for "taket H2 review in google is my profile here.

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #55 of 123
Okay this whole down the chain thing is ridiculous. There's a reason that the axiom for what to improve is listed as Headphone/Source/Amp/Cables. While I haven't tested these extremes myself (But have experience with less extreme caes), I am fairly sure that if you listen to an Esoteric P03/D03 combo with Skullcandy headphones vs an Ipod with R10s... the latter combo will win.

P.S. Oh they are electrostats eh. The H2. My interest somewhat lessens ;p Asofar I am a purely dynamic guy... post the national meet my opinions may change!

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #56 of 123
The H2 is an AMT driver, like the Precide Ergo AMT. Except that it works using a piezoelectric charge instead of a fixed magnet. So technically its a planar, not a dynamic or a stat. The intriguing part of its design (i have a pdf schematic) is that the pleats of the planar strip are much wider at the bottom than at the top, which would mean that each section of the driver would respond better to reproducing a particular frequency range. The larger the area of the pleat, the more air it moves, making for a better reproduction of the lower frequencies, the thinner sections are smaller and lighter and thus can move faster, for clean reproduction of higher frequencies.

The driver is analogue in its changing pleat size, so the change in frequency response would shift gradually up through the driver. Precide did a similar thing with the Ergo AMT, except that their solution is not so obviously visible. Theirs was based on pleat spacing and response rather than on size. Thats why the Ergo AMT is a flat rectangular design and the H2 is fatter at the bottom of the earcup.

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #57 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The H2 is an AMT driver, like the Precide Ergo AMT. Except that it works using a piezoelectric charge instead of a fixed magnet. So technically its a planar, not a dynamic or a stat.

Well I just mailed them to see if they will hand over a set for review by someone or take some to headfest 2007. The worst they can do is ignore me so... we'll have to see if they take the bait
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #58 of 123
Haha. I did exactly the same thing. But from my previous communications with them, I'd say the answer will be a polite no. I also asked for some large pictures and links to any reviews that they know of. I expect to be given crap pictures and a link to their faq.

Im not entirely certain how great the persona who answered my previous correspondences grasp of English was though.

taket-headphone_big.jpg

Looks awful like a Stax headband doesnt it?

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #60 of 123
If they are intended for the eastern market they just might not be interested. AFAIK, Audio-Technica don't officially sell outside of Japan.

It might also be a pretty small company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back