How come all the ultra high end headphones have all been discontinued??
Apr 9, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #61 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with unabashed certainty - the K701's were nice, but IMO are nowhere near reference quality. I actually preferred the 650's to them... and the RS-1's/GS1000's cream them without a doubt.

I recently got to listen to many sets of K701s and have the same opinion. I personally don't think they are all that. I preferred 600s and 650s to them, and even prefer my a900ltds to them.

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #62 of 123
The_H2.jpg

Only other decent image. And heres the schematic PDF in case anyone is interested.

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #63 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha. I did exactly the same thing. But from my previous communications with them, I'd say the answer will be a polite no. I also asked for some large pictures and links to any reviews that they know of. I expect to be given crap pictures and a link to their faq.

Im not entirely certain how great the persona who answered my previous correspondences grasp of English was though.

taket-headphone_big.jpg

Looks awful like a Stax headband doesnt it?

Sorry, but that looks *ugly*!
confused.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #64 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but that looks *ugly*!
confused.gif

About the least important thing I've ever gone for in a headphone is the aesthetics.

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #66 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they are intended for the eastern market they just might not be interested. AFAIK, Audio-Technica don't officially sell outside of Japan.

It might also be a pretty small company.

Their site is in English and priced in dollars so I take that to mean they would like some of us outside the far east to buy some.

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #67 of 123
It's good to know the 701s are not the best available phones out there. They are a step up in comfort and bass than iems, buds and portables. They don't put the sizzle in the sausage though. Since there is such mediocrity, I guess you buy one of each flavor until another classic comes along. Or buy from those who have built the classics up to legend status (big bucks). Man, I'd hate to spend $,$$$ for an old set of hps and have them fall apart with use.
orphsmile.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #69 of 123
You know, there's quite a big market for $10,000 speakers. I've been to many people's homes and listened to them. These people are just random friends and relatives, not audiophiles or enthusiasts like us. They buy $10,000 speakers just like buying a BMW: just a decent household appliance to them. So I do NOT beleive that there's no market for $2000 headphones when $10k speakers are so common. The problem is that the expensive headphones are not that great. The K701 is better than most of those boutique headphones.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #71 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 is better than most of those botique headphones.

Have you even heard any of these "boutique" headphones?

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #73 of 123
Laf, that's really funny. I'm sure the K701 is a great headphone for its price and that it can beat out several higher priced competitors depending on personal taste.

My friend did a comparison and disliked the K701 while liking ATs/Grados/HD600... though I'm sure there were people that felt the other way around.

To make a blanket statement that they are better than some of the headphones mentioned in this thread is... well given that you are in Socal I do hope that you make the trip up for the meet if you aren't planning on doing so already and are prepared to be disillusioned.

Hey maybe I'm wrong.

Apr 10, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #74 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The last k1000 from Austria sold for just over $600 a week ago, all depends on where you look.... ie. not USA. And yes he was shipping here 'cos I asked. I got 2 sets for under $1600.

So where/how does someone in the US source high end HP in Europe?

Thanks

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #75 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So where/how does someone in the US source high end HP in Europe?

Thanks

=Ebay of course=

http://www.ebay.de/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/
http://www.ebay.at/

Some forums have for sale sections. You have to look around and be patient for the better deals. I sometimes get impatient
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back