How close do you sit to your source?
Feb 10, 2008 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

1000+ Head-Fier
How close do you sit to your source? Do you hear any equipment noise (fans, whirring, etc.)?

If you have time, please vote!

If you have time and want to go to heaven, please vote, write a short post telling what your vote was, and give as detailed a listing of your equipment as possible.

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 57
When properly ensconced in the Man Cave with all Tactical Equipment engaged I’m within arms reach of the volume knob and CD player. Gimme a morphine drip / bed pan and I wouldn’t have to move for anything.

Mitch

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 57
Usually 0-30 cm, if I count the MacBook Pro as source and not just the transport (DAC is source).
Meaning that I either have it on my lap, or on the desk straight in front of me.

No noise that interfere with my listening session at all. So I am happy!
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 57
no moving parts ...no noise....nope not even transformer hum...nothing...

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 57
Im a student so i pretty much live on top of everything i own. I would have thought that i'd get quite bad hum, but surprisingly it is hardly noticeable.

I am within arms reach of everything, as little effort as possible.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 57
12 feet away, I hear nothing, nada, nix, nowt.

I also sit 12 feet away from my speakers and hear lovely soundstage with width, depth and height.

I have yet to find any headphones that come near my main hifi setup

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 57
The audio rack is 15 ft away. Listening to it now and unless you call music noise, then no noise.

My D2 is kept far enough away to be out of the way but close enough that I can reach it. So most of the time either in my shirt pocket (guess it makes it 0 in/cm away) or perhaps sitting on a table (which would make it 12-24 in). I'm told the Tomahawk that will be soon be here also makes no noise.

I seldom use a computer as a source, but when I do it is about 36 in away (1 meter).

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 57
Arms length, and I can barely hear any noise from my rig. Laptop fan, well that's another story, but if I'm doing any really serious listening I usually switch the laptop off.

As far as noise from the CD player transport goes, I did have issues with my old CD player (cambridge audio CD5) and ended up getting shot of it, not because I was unhappy with the sound, but entirely because of the transport noise. Ho hum...

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 57
I sit with my desktop right next to my leg, so about three feet ish from my hear I would say, my dvd player, which I use as a cd player is two feet in front of me and my vinyl rig is about four feet away. little if any noise from the dvd player, none from the computer, and my vinyl rig sucks the big one, so it crackles and has speed issues constantly, I just learned to live with it until I can upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back