How close do you sit to your source?
Feb 10, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #16 of 57
I'm about 10 feet away from my source so I don't hear anything at all..

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #17 of 57
My current setup is Nano (RockBoxed) > LD MK III > K 701 and if I pause the player and turn up the amp volume, I get a faint buzz. Not terribly important since I don't listen at those volumes, just another cause of future upgraditis
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aardvarks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
12 feet away, I hear nothing, nada, nix, nowt.

I also sit 12 feet away from my speakers and hear lovely soundstage with width, depth and height.

I have yet to find any headphones that come near my main hifi setup

Nothing can touch a good Hi Fi setup, no headphones even compare.

But my DVD player that i use s kinda loud. Its a Denon DVD 910, i can never hear it when i have music playing, especially with headphones on. But when i play a movie at night on low volume i can here the disc spinning, and it pisses me off so much. Thats the next upgrade a new CDP

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #19 of 57
My CE595 is right in front of me. It's noisy switching discs or seeking ahead multiple tracks, but when playing music it's mostly silent except for an occasional whirring noise that I have to pay attention to to hear.

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #20 of 57
I have a external hard drive about 3 feet away from me, sitting on my desk. At first it became a problem because it would vibrate on the desk and make a audible noise. I solved it by dampening it- done by putting the hard drive on top of a folded piece of cloth.

Now I feel and hear nothing form it.

*Patrick can keep his magix
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #21 of 57
ATM source is a Rega Planet 2000, soon to be a Cambridge Audio 840C. Amp is a Dared VP-20, cans are HD650s. Moon audio silver XLR Senn cables to AKG speaker adapter, soon to be a custom Headphile HD6x0-to-speaker leads silver cable.

There is no noise whatsoever, and the rig is about a foot away from my bed. Yes, I listen lying in bed, pretty much always. Lights off, wrapped up, contemplating my worm nature with minimum distractions, lost in the music and whatever chemical supplement happens to be in my system.

Life is good.

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #22 of 57
Well, depends what you mean by source.

I sit about 30cm away from my transport (laptop), which makes a barely discernible (but still audible) noise. I sit about 50cm away from my source (Apogee Mini-DAC), which is completely silent.

I voted for barely audible.

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #23 of 57
. . . is this a trick question
confused.gif

LOL

My source is a media PC located in another room and controlled remotely.

It is 100% dead-silent from here
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #24 of 57
I am extremely tempted to answer "the Depths of Sheol" just for a laugh.

But really, I don't catch any discernible noise at reasonable listening volume, and my computer sits about 2 feet from my DAC and a metre from my amp...

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #25 of 57
You mean like PC noise? I usually sit at my PC when listening (Grado sr125 Meta42 Denon TT) but my source is a TT so the noise comes from the surface.

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #26 of 57
I have my source on my lap (aka laptop).
So guess its just 0-1 cm, and no noise than interfere my listening session in any way.

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #27 of 57
Noise in the system:

the DAC makes switching noises when it first gets signal

the cassette deck makes noise switching directions

the CD machines make noise running drawers in & out

the MX-1 has fan cooling, but if it's being driven hard enough for the fan to come on, it will be inaudible anyway

the Stax sometimes makes crackling noises [NOT electronic]

Noise not in the system:

plumbing/furnace noises, barking dogs, passing cars, airplanes, etc, this thread has little purpose

For me, if I still lived in the underground house in the woods, as I did about 18 years ago, it might be an issue.

Laz

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cassette deck makes noise switching directions

Laz

eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

I know, I know, I avoid auto-reverse decks myself, but it was cheap, pristine, and sounds great - it's a Denon, so I am not sorry.
biggrin.gif

Laz

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, I know, I avoid auto-reverse decks myself, but it was cheap, pristine, and sounds great - it's a Denon, so I am not sorry.
biggrin.gif

Laz

No it was discovering another cassette head like me! (Sony WM-D3 + a stash of Maxell XL-2S for recording LP's (NO DOLBY!!!))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back