How can I turn my HD 598s into gaming headphones for my Xbox 360 and tv
Jan 16, 2011 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

junebug654

Head-Fier
The tv I own is quite old.  It was made sometime around 2000-2002.  newer TVs today I'm noticing have a headphone jack on the side, but my CRT tv doesn't.  I wanted to be able to play games on my xbox 360 and use my Senn 598s instead of the tv speakers.  What equipment would I need to do so?  Also would it actually be possible to hook up an Fiio e7 with this set-up for a clearer sound.  I always love taking pride in being able to hear the footsteps of players on Halo, MW2, etc and I wanted to use headphones with a DAC/amp that could improve that.  But would the addition of the e7 on this setup actually make a difference besides just the increase in volume?

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 7
MixAmp is the thing you are looking :p 360 -> mixamp -> hd 598 (dolby headphone 5.1 surround sound)

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 7
obazavil is quite right, a MixAmp should do the job. 
However:
There are many alternatives if you don't need to chat while playing. Basically you need an amp--any amp will do--so that you can plug your 360's sound straight into the amp, instead of into your TV. 

You realise what this means, of course.
That's right.
You can plug your 360 straight into your E7 already.

Try getting something like this:
or  (these are called RCA-to-mini adapters, with female RCA ends and male mini end)
and then just get a very long mini-to-mini cable to run the distance from your 360 to the E7.

Please note: you will not be using the E7's DAC function for this setup. It is impossible to use the E7 as a DAC (or any USB DAC, for that matter) with the 360.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 7
For an even cheaper solution, the E5 works very well for this. That is assuming you don't have the E7 yet. This to me is the best use for the E5. I think the E7 is probably overkill for that use.

360/PS3 --- RCA female to 3.5mm cable --- E5 --- Headphones

Works VERY well.

I would still say to get something like the Ear Force DSS or Mixamp. Virtual surround makes fps gaming so much better, imho.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 7
Junebug, click on the link on my sig. Its my topic on AVS about virtual surround and headsets in general. All you need to know is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back