How can i hook my headphones up to my tv and be able to control the volume?
May 19, 2011 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

angelus55

100+ Head-Fier
Ill probably be getting the sennheiser hd 558s this friday and was wondering how do the above (topic title).

for my tv set up i have a just a lcd widescreen lg tv which is hooked to to my direct tv dvr box, and thats really all i have going right now. i have a cable that the direct tv audio cables plug into, and on the other end a 3.5mm receiver (i think thats what its called) that i can plug in my turtle beach x11 headset in. now im pretty sure i can plug in any other headphones into the 3.5mm jack receiver, but i wont be able to control the volume (the turtle beach headset has an in line volume control on the cable).

so i think i might need an amplifier being that i dont have a stereo set up. if thats the case i found this amp on amazon for a really good deal http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-AMP800-Four-Channel-Headphone/dp/B000KU87SM/ref=pd_cp_e_2

so what should i do, and how should i do it?

May 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 8
Have you checked if your tv has a headphone out port?  Some TVs do.

I've personally used my Astro mixamp 5.8 for tv viewing by running the optical cable from my Directv dvr to the mixamp base.  This method allows you to enjoy movies in surround sound and have control of the volume at your fingertips.  It's not quite as cheap as that amp you found but it makes for a very enjoyable tv watching experience.  

May 19, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 8
First, can't you use the remote control of your TV or DVR box if you have your headphones plugged in? I figure if the remote control still works, then you've got your volume control right there without needing to spend on another device.

If not, does the DVR box have an optical out? If so, the Astro Mixamp 5.8 might be something to look at, as the receiver unit you plug your headphones to have its own volume control. It's wireless* and supports dolby surround.

I use the astro mixamp 5.8 and Audio Technica ATH-M50 on my PC. Haven't tried to connect it to my PS3, yet, but will be doing when I have the time to watch some Blu-Ray's. My Comcast box doesn't have optical out IIRC, so not going to be able to try that.

*Transmitter unit wired via optical out to your source. Your headphones connect to the the receiver unit, which gets the signals wireless-ly from the transmitter unit.

EDIT: Jae304 beat me to the mixamp suggestion.

May 19, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm glad this thread showed up. I did not know about the Astro mixamp 5.8!  Will have to check into it.  I was moving my W4S DAC-2 from my music rig to my flat screen at night to use headphones while viewing video files from my WD HD Player.  Inconvenient to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back