How are the AD900s?
Jan 11, 2008 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Xanatos

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new headphone and was looking for some opinions on the Audio-Technica AD900.

Also, what's the difference between the AD700s and the AD900s? Is it worth the price jump?

I've also read that the AD1000s are crap, correct?

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 19
I bought AD900 in december, have been using them for a few weeks now. FOr the price they sell em at Audiocubes I'd say you cannot go wrong. Very detailed and nice soundstage. If you listen to hard rock or headbanging music though I'll say forget it. Theyre perfect for my taste though, for moody music like jazz, post-rock, ethereal and such. Cant compare with the AD700... Also there are a few people who reviewed the AD900 on head-fi... Another plus is that the impedance is very low (35 ohms)... I run it straight from my soundcard and its real nice. There are the HD650 also if you are ready to pay an extra 70-80 bucks, but considering you'll need an amp for most other cans of the range, the AD900 are good ones...

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 19
What the AD900 lacks for some people is the amount of bass. I find them to be fast and punchy, really good for jazz and instrumental music.

The midrange and high is detail and musical for female vocal especially.

The only thing about ATH is the size. It took me a few days to get used to the fit and size of this!

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 19
The weakest point Id say about the AD900 is that ears easily touch not only the pads but inside directly where the speakers are. And also the speakers are very close to the ears (some might not like this). I prefer the Sennheiser for comfort... nut u know it all depends on you ear size and stuff, it can very well be fiting perfectly to your needs...

I can say listening to Broadcast (the UK band) on these headphone is pure magic, super airy and very nice sounding drums.

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 19
My ears also touch the insides. I figured that would make them the most uncomfortable headphones ever. After a while I was surprised that it didn’t bother me at all. In fact now I would rank them as the most comfortable head phones I’ve ever worn. They don’t feel extra comfy or special. In fact they feel a little odd. But the end result is that I can wear them all day long and never get tired of them. It probably has to do with the lack of pressure. They float on your head and could easily come off if you were dancing around.

The AD900 are great for Jazz, Classical, and instrumental music. They have a lot of clarity, detail, and the sound stage is huge. What they don’t have is any bass you can feel. The bass is there and it’s goes deep, but you will never feel it. The result is that some music such as rap and dance may seem empty and boring.

I just got my HD-650s but I’m still waiting on my amp. Side by side the AD900 edges out the HD650 on clarity and dwarfs it on sound stage, however I would say the HD-650 are more enjoyable. And yes I know it’s gimped without an amp. It will be here in a week.
tongue.gif

I’ve never tried the AD700 but for half the price it may be a good value. I can’t get over the gold and purple though.

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 19
Really Im looking for ways not to touch the insides. I think it really is the only thing I'm not completely or almost completely satisfied with with these headphones.

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 19
I have a question too, reffering to AD900...
Could an amp improve something at AD900? I'm asking because I have and amp and I intend to buy these as second pair of headphones.
How sound mids and high? I understood they are clear and detalied, but are they harsh or sibilant?

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 19
I believe these were called in a review "the best un-amped" cans... I own the A700, I'd like to hear what the differences are between the two - is it worth it to update?

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 19
That’s exactly what I did. I was using the A700 and upgraded to the AD900. My impressions were positive, negative, and frustrating. It was a positive upgrade because they were a big improvement in sound quality over the A700. It was a negative upgrade because they felt a little boring with rock and pop. It was frustrating because the sound was too good to go back to the A700 yet I didn't feel like I was having as much fun with them. They are better than the A700 in everyway except the bass.

From what I've read the AD900 doesn't benefit much from an amp. I get my amp next week so I will certainly try it. The mids and highs are great. Not harsh or fatiguing at all.

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 19
Ok, that's good to hear since I'm mostly using these for rock and metal. Actually I'm very much satisfied with the A700s, it's just that I'm thinking if there is something even better out there
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 19
for guys not wanting their ears to touch the driver/grille

search head-fi for the "fat pads" mod

basically involves cutting out a length of rubber tubing and putting it between the earpads and housing to make them plumper and put your ears further away from the drivers

iirc there was an affect on sound quality, not sure if it was positive or negative

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #13 of 19
well, a lot of people here said the ad1000 is crap, I totally disagree.
I had both the ad1000 and ad900. the ad900 sounds more relax but the ad1000 is much more clean, detail and clarity. the weakness of the ad1000 is the up-mid sometimes a bit harsh (I used it directly without amp), hence if u have a warm sounding amp, I think it will match perfectly...

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #14 of 19
d-cee thanks for the advice, could u direct me to the place where u saw any demonstration of these "fat pads"? I couldnt find...

thanks!

Actually other than this small problem, these headphones are very nice for me, and I doubt you can can anything better for 220 bucks...

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for guys not wanting their ears to touch the driver/grille

search head-fi for the "fat pads" mod

basically involves cutting out a length of rubber tubing and putting it between the earpads and housing to make them plumper and put your ears further away from the drivers

iirc there was an affect on sound quality, not sure if it was positive or negative

Sounds like your talking about the Grado-line
smily_headphones1.gif

Those hurt the ears, somewhat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back