How and why do members fall in love with second tier headphones?
Apr 20, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #106 of 483
I dunno. How and why do fellas fall in love with women who aren't a solid 10? 
popcorn.gif

My wife is totally a 10 btw. 
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #109 of 483
I prefer orthos for their even power response, yet I have a second tier system for streaming that has tablet, Myzic amp and the NAD HP 50's and enjoy it immensely. That second tier system has a host of good amps on a rotation that can't power orthos, yet that doesn't mean synergy can't be developed elsewhere. Colorations can be addictive and preferred, and synergy can be found at all price levels. A first tier phone with inadequate system behind can be the worst of the worst in auditory playback.

The second tier system perked up my ears when I used a preamp to pump up the miniscule supply from tablet. The TEAC HA-501 has benefits beyond a headphone amp.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #110 of 483
.......and as a result discount the performance of superior models?

It's beyond absurd how this community defines headphones on the basis of price, not sound quality. And, then, feeds them with some of the worst equipment and source material known to man. It's some kind of a sickness. Personally, I think this due, in large part, to the bulk of the population being very young and inexperienced, and with those who guide them being almost as clueless about good sound. And the ball keep going 'round and 'round. Don't get me wrong; this is the single, most entertaining audio forum I've been involved with.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #111 of 483
Everyone starts with 2nd tier headphones- at some point those are the best you've ever heard.   For the first time you hear something approximating what music is supposed to sound like, the feeling that for many of us kicked off this terrible obsession.

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #112 of 483
Everyone starts with 2nd tier headphones- at some point those are the best you've ever heard.   For the first time you hear something approximating what music is supposed to sound like, the feeling that for many of us kicked off this terrible obsession.

What music is supposed to sound like? Folks were there during the mastering session and were able to discuss the artist's intent? No, right. You guys try to match a given set of production values to your own expectations and the coloration of a a given headphone. Naive audio at its best, please pardon the oxymoron. This being said, you missed the point of my comments in its entirety.

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #115 of 483
It's beyond absurd how this community defines headphones on the basis of price, not sound quality. And, then, feeds them with some of the worst equipment and source material known to man. It's some kind of a sickness. Personally, I think this due, in large part, to the bulk of the population being very young and inexperienced, and with those who guide them being almost as clueless about good sound. And the ball keep going 'round and 'round. Don't get me wrong; this is the single, most entertaining audio forum I've been involved with.

Talking out of your ass with generalizations. For the most part it's harped on rather often that price isn't a qualifier for quality.
A few people's personal views and therein personal value does not make any consensus.  

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #116 of 483
Talking out of your ass with generalizations. For the most part it's harped on rather often that price isn't a qualifier for quality.
A few people's personal views and therein personal value does not make any consensus.  

Why so angry? Price is most certainly the qualifier, as illustrated by the thread upon thread on the equipment forums. As for looking for a consensus, first find a number of folks with similar experience. Won't happen here, unless it's some $100 POS that every no-money teenager buys, and, naturally, pairs it with some of the best cans on the market (bought by his mommy). GMAFB!

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #117 of 483
Why so angry? Price is most certainly the qualifier, as illustrated by the thread upon thread on the equipment forums. As for looking for a consensus, first find a number of folks with similar experience. Won't happen here, unless it's some $100 POS that every no-money teenager buys, and, naturally, pairs it with some of the best cans on the market (bought by his mommy). GMAFB!

I'm not angry. I just think you're FOS.

What does the amount of equipment forum threads have anything to do with price being associated as the qualifier of a headphone?

Your previous comment, without any provided context, makes it seem like you just want to feel superior to everyone else's ****ty choices and ****tier associated equipment.
And your gear ain't all that great, dude.

All I'm saying is I see tons of people trying their best to make the best informed decision they can. That is, factoring in a plethora of factors other than pricing.
Further, at the extreme end, there are a horde of people who flat out bash the Abyss despite its exorbitant pricing.

Your generalizations are misleading. 

Anyways, none of this pertinent to SS, then again, this thread has really devolved. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #118 of 483
I'm not angry. I just think you're FOS.

That's indeed very friendly. Consistency of thought and behavior, what's that? Sorry, are you a market analyst in this business? Have you ever worked in the audio business at all, or long enough to gauge the segment you're selling to? Without a doubt, the answer is no.

What does the amount of equipment forum threads have anything to do with price being associated as the qualifier of a headphone?

When the price is discussed as one of the primary determinants of goodness, everything.

Your previous comment, without any provided context, makes it seem like you just want to feel superior to everyone else's ****ty choices and ****tier associated equipment.
And your gear ain't all that great, dude.

Now you want to play, "mine is bigger than yours?" I can't help the way you perceive the written word. That's solely on you and whatever bias you happen to carry.

Frankly, someone who lists Metal as is his only musical genre of choice and then buys HD800 has no right to comment of the selections of others.

All I'm saying is I see tons of people trying their best to make the best informed decision they can. That is, factoring in a plethora of factors other than pricing.
Further, at the extreme end, there are a horde of people who flat out bash the Abyss despite its exorbitant pricing.

What?

Your generalizations are misleading.

I'm sure someone is happy you're here to set the record straight; now we can all sleep at night.

Truthfully, I have no idea what you're taking about.

Anyways, none of this pertinent to SS, then again, this thread has really devolved. 

Am interesting comment, when you entered this facet of the thread, seemingly, solely for the purpose of being rude. Look at my first response to your post and see if you can draw a parallel.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #119 of 483
That's indeed very friendly. Consistency of thought and behavior, what's that? Sorry, are you a market analyst in this business? Have you ever worked in the audio business at all, or long enough to gauge the segment you're selling to? Without a doubt, the answer is no.
When the price is discussed as one of the primary determinants of goodness, everything.
Now you want to play, "mine is bigger than yours?" I can't help the way you perceive the written word. That's solely on you and whatever bias you happen to carry.

Frankly, someone who lists Metal as is his only musical genre of choice and then buys HD800 has no right to comment of the selections of others.
What?
I'm sure someone is happy you're here to set the record straight; now we can all sleep at night.

Truthfully, I have no idea what you're taking about.
Am interesting comment, when you entered this facet of the thread, seemingly, solely for the purpose of being rude. Look at my first response to your post and see if you can draw a parallel.

However you take it, I speak my mind. You may convolute the discussion all you'd like. That's quite fine. 

I love metal. I listen to other genres, whatever. Not sure what you're implying as there are many facets to the metal genre. I've had a lot of headphones not just the 
HD800. So continue on your cherry picking.

You could have simply confronted Redcarmoose on how he equated pricing with headphones rather than stating how this entire community does so.
And that's what I've taken issue with. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #120 of 483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back