How and why do members fall in love with second tier headphones?
Apr 30, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #242 of 483
  How are even sure if a headphone is close to "flat"

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audio-precision-explains-headphone-measurements-and-head-related-transfer-function

As far as I can tell there really is not true standard that anyone follows. 

Note that, as given implicitly by the meat of that article, the concept of headphones having a type of sound per se is meaningless, since headphones in use don't play in isolation.

Other than that, I'm not sure that the article is about flatness as such. You can gauge flatness with a centered sine sweep I'd imagine. What seems to be the issue in the article is the reproduction of space with speakers strapped to your head, the concept of space varying with the anatomy of individuals' ears.

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #243 of 483
Note that, as given implicitly by the meat of that article, the concept of headphones having a type of sound per se is meaningless, since headphones in use don't play in isolation.

Other than that, I'm not sure that the article is about flatness as such. You can gauge flatness with a centered sine sweep I'd imagine. What seems to be the issue in the article is the reproduction of space with speakers strapped to your head, the concept of space varying with the anatomy of individuals' ears.

There is this YouTube video and yes, this sound professional who mixs live music has about twenty headphones tangled on the floor. He takes each one puts a sine wave on it and records the sound with a microphone and has a graph machine show how flat each one is. It is mildly entertaining because he is really looking for a new headphone as his old ones just broke. He spends less of than 60 seconds between each pair and puts the flat ones in a pile. Very cartoon like.

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #244 of 483
Dave rat, yeah. He does compare the results to what his old phones got if I remember right, so he's not completely off base. I think he spotted promise in the t50rp, too, off his graph.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #245 of 483
Yep, good memory. I'm thinking "Why does he not just replace his old headphones?"

But I guess that would not give him a chance to make this whole flat headphone subject become no big deal. He does not really care as long as they are closed back and flat. He acts like they could be found at any garage sale. Lol

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #246 of 483
Yep, good memory. I'm thinking "Why does he not just replace his old headphones?"

But I guess that would not give him a chance to make this whole flat headphone subject become no big deal. He does not really care as long as they are closed back and flat. He acts like they could be found at any garage sale. Lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QJh8B1QfEn0

Actually just found the link here. Turns out he had a pair of Sony MDR CD 3000 which are Sony's first attempt at making a trickle down technology consumer headphone out of the R-10.

And they are hard to find. My MDR CD 870s are what I feel are my flat headphone. They are two steps down from the MDR CD3000, though some say the second generation of the Sony line are even more flat.

The YouTube videos are a complete series of 5. Could not get passed the first. I hope he found what he was looking for?

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #248 of 483
Hope he took the cheapest phones with the smoothest response below the treble and went to town on it with eq.

He reminded me of my first year being around professional photographers and how they are a little bit less careful with equipment. They way he drops the patch cord onto the desk instead of laying it down. Clink, clunk. The true sign of a pro.Lol.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #249 of 483
Still though your saying they can give us only one graph on say frequency response and the treble spike stays in the same place with the same level of distortions at every volume level. Just our hearing changes?

You just click the "Dynamic Range Compensation" (DRC) button on and don't worry about it. Almost all amps have that now.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #250 of 483
  How are we even sure if a headphone is close to "flat"

A tone sweep.

There is a tendency to resort to absolutism when it comes to response. People argue that because they aren't able to perfectly flatten a response curve there is no need to even try. That is totally wrong. "Flatter" is better and "flatfish" sounds very darn good. Response is something that requires a certain amount of trade offs and compromise, especially when it comes to interactions between speakers and rooms. It should be looked at as a goal, not a destination.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #251 of 483
ath-top.png

http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

graphCompare.php

Notice the HeadRoom graph for the LCD-3, between the 1Khz and 10Khz, now notice the bottom red line for the "threshold of hearing" graph, notice how sensitive the human ears are to freqs in 1Khz to 10Khz range, if the LCD-3 isn't considered "flat" why call it a tier 1 headphone? 

graphCompare.php

All this "Flatter" talk sounds like BS! HD 800 Technical Data, Frequency response (headphones) 14 – 44100 Hz (- 3 dB), everybody knows the HD 800 sounds flat especially in the low end  http://en-us.sennheiser.com/dynamic-headphones-high-end-around-ear-hd-800

May 1, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #252 of 483
We are talking about using EQ to flatten response curves of midrange headphones to make them perform more like high end headphones, Stereocilia When the difference between two sets of cans is within 10dB and distortion isn't an issue, there I see no reason for EQ not to be able to correct for it.

May 1, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #255 of 483
Flatter doesn't sound better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back