How and why do members fall in love with second tier headphones?
Apr 28, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #211 of 483
Again it's perfectly fine for you to believe the physical components and design of a particular headphone have no improvement or effect on sound quality.

The sound is what matters. If a design is able to represent all frequencies loud, then they can be EQed to a flat response that matches that of a  more expensive set of cans.

Balance is the trick.

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #212 of 483
The sound is what matters. If a design is able to represent all frequencies loud, then they can be EQed to a flat response that matches that of a  more expensive set of cans.

Balance is the trick.

@bigshot,
If you ever look at my headphone collection, I don't own any modern day flagships. My next purchase will be most likely a flagship IEM and a mid tier Sony full size headphone.

I never want to come off as an audio-snob, still I am more than open to investigate these ideas at another meet.

It would be grand if we could EQ stuff to over come build and design issues?

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #213 of 483
Find a good equalizer for your player and you are on the road. Mine are built into my AV amp and software in my computer.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #214 of 483
I was kind of interested in what you had to say at first, but you've decided to make the conversation about how I should be. Ignore button just kicked in. Good bye!

Not quite the approach to take in science. I don't know - not saying I'm ultra scientific myself, but maybe this forum needs a science primer.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #215 of 483
@bigshot,
If you ever look at my headphone collection, I don't own any modern day flagships. My next purchase will be most likely a flagship IEM and a mid tier Sony full size headphone.

I never want to come off as an audio-snob, still I am more than open to investigate these ideas at another meet.

It would be grand if we could EQ stuff to over come build and design issues?

Do you by chance have an iPhone or iPad? You might have fun experimenting with Accudio. It's an app designed by Golden Ears who measures headphone frequency response, and it provides profiles to EQ the response for many different models: http://accudio.goldenears.net/

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #216 of 483
Do you by chance have an iPhone or iPad? You might have fun experimenting with Accudio. It's an app designed by Golden Ears who measures headphone frequency response, and it provides profiles to EQ the response for many different models: http://accudio.goldenears.net/

I will check those out and report, thank-you.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #217 of 483

Do they have a section for the rusted-tin ears folk? That the tests maybe best for me?

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #218 of 483
Do they have a section for the rusted-tin ears folk? That the tests maybe best for me?

I have no idea. I don't own any Apple products, so I haven't used it. Just thought you might be interested since they are attempting to do what you have been talking about lately: EQ headphones to a better response to make them sound like more expensive headphones.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #219 of 483

It's an app for iOS not a test. The free version has limited functionality, but the pay version, ($3.99 iirc) allows emulation of a wide range of headphones, by an equally wide range of headphones and includes a stand alone EQ function. The website illustrates the corrections they carry out to the headphones under test, compared to an idealized response curve and a table indicating how hard or easy it was to EQ each headphone.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #220 of 483
It's an app for iOS not a test. The free version has limited functionality, but the pay version, ($3.99 iirc) allows emulation of a wide range of headphones, by an equally wide range of headphones and includes a stand alone EQ function. The website illustrates the corrections they carry out to the headphones under test, compared to an idealized response curve and a table indicating how hard or easy it was to EQ each headphone.

It sounds like a fascinating piece of software. I'd love to see if ported to Windows so I could try it. I understand that they don't have a consumer version for Android because it requires root level access to implement.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #221 of 483
It sounds like a fascinating piece of software. I'd love to see if ported to Windows so I could try it. I understand that they don't have a consumer version for Android because it requires root level access to implement.

No I think iOS is the only option, but it is nicely put together, a port to Mac and Windows would sell like hot cakes I think.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #222 of 483
No I think iOS is the only option, but it is nicely put together, a port to Mac and Windows would sell like hot cakes I think.

Golden Ears indicated in this interview that there is one for Android targeting companies who might implement Accudio in their Android version:

"Accudio for iOS is already in the market. As for the Android app, it is necessary that the smartphone maker has to take Accudio into one of pre-equipped apps. Because Accudio in the Android version needs root authority, I need the maker’s authorization for access to root. So, naturally, the iOS app targets B2C market, the Android app does the B2B market."

Might see at some point on some Android flavor, such as FireOS or Touchwiz.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #223 of 483
Golden Ears indicated in this interview that there is one for Android targeting companies who might implement Accudio in their Android version:

"Accudio for iOS is already in the market. As for the Android app, it is necessary that the smartphone maker has to take Accudio into one of pre-equipped apps. Because Accudio in the Android version needs root authority, I need the maker’s authorization for access to root. So, naturally, the iOS app targets B2C market, the Android app does the B2B market."

Might see at some point on some Android flavor, such as FireOS or Touchwiz.

OK, I stand corrected and you may have something to look forward to. You don't know anyone with an idevice you could cadge a loan of just to play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back