How about sibilance in Edition 8?
Sep 2, 2009 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

abyrvalg

100+ Head-Fier
I have Ultrasone 900 Pro which I like in terms of overal tonal balance and presentation. They have been modded by myself (sorbotane sheet inside for bass and resonance control, + partial Kees mod) and recabled (hardwired with Jena). Now, I like what I finally got in the bass area - fast, deep but not boomy\overwhelming. However, after I got rid of excessive bass, I got the sibilance quite visible (I guess it was somwhow covered\masked by bass before, and now that the bass is tamed, HF "shines"). I will try to mod them to reduce sibilance but from what I have read here, it is an universal problem of 900 and titanium drivers in general. On the same music that I get sibilance with 900, my EWS10 plays just fine, nice and sweet, so it is not a source\amp, it is definitely a 900 problem. However, I prefer 900's bass over ESW10...

The question really is this: how about sibilance in Edition 8? Generally I like Ultrasone sound, fast and deep bass and closed cans with isolation. What I need though, is pristine, extended, silky clear HF without any harshness at all, and very good resolution. I listen to jazz and acoustic music mainly, but some good ole rock stuff as well, nothing aggressive. So, my question is for Ed 8 owners or those who tried it - what about sibilance in Ed 8? They use titanium drivers, so I am concerned.

Thank you in advance for replies!
Sincerely
Dmitry

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 14
Not many Ed8 owners out there yet. I'm still waiting for mine

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 14
mopps have had his a long time so hopefully he has a fully burned in pair by now. Would pm him.

Otherwise the Ed 8 according to some is a departure from the Ultrasone sound which I don´t know if it´s a good thing really. But anyway I wouldn´t try to fix the sibilance on the Pro 900. You may break other things while doing it. Why not try an equalizer instead and trying to fix it that way? Then you can always revert back.

As for sibilance for me it doesn´t have much in it´s own but it can scream it out where other headphones show it but don´t yell it at you. If I listen to the Pro 900 first I surely can see the traces on other systems.

HD 650 solve that problem and it´s a bit of a sister to the Pro 900 stock but I just couldn´t get into it. To dark and bassy, small soundstage etc etc. But man you would be hard pressed to find sibilance in any songs whatsoever on that one lol.

I have been very happy with my German Maestros. They are quite different to the Pro 900 so complement them well. It feed on the small weaknesses the 900 has while not being ****ty where the 900 is strong. And vice versa.

Particularly the 450 Pro. It´s also just like the 900 incredibly good with voices. That is when sibilance doesn´t get excessive then it´s tons better
smily_headphones1.gif
. It certainly seldom if ever sounds harsh like the 900 can do on poor recordings. When it does I just switch to the 450 Pros and I enjoy music greatly on that too. Like showing you a different side of the recording while still sounding natural. Some rolled off treble but still very well balanced. Since they have a bit rolled off bass as well. You may miss the low bass but you may find that for classical you get a really nice flow when you have no low bass that kind of stops the music from flowing
smily_headphones1.gif
You can trace sibilance but it´s seldom to the levels where it detracts.

I am probably going to gamble a bit and exchange them for the 435S. They don´t isolate for a dime so I can as well get the open model which should have even better soundstaging. That I hope anyway. 8.35D Monitors is another option with great isolation and more bass but you may find the soundstage a bit claustrophic. Those are definiatly closed in signature.

As for headphones that beat the 900 at what it does? Dunno Ed 8 is a good of a gamble as any. But from what I heard the Hd 800 may come close too but then that is also being accused for being sibilant. But well you can´t have the cake and still eat it. It wouldn´t be reference if it wouldn´t show signs of sibilance would it
smily_headphones1.gif

From what I read the SA5000 sounds quite intriguing too. If it wasn´t for being priced into oblivion like ED 8 and HD 800 of course.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 14
edition 8 being different from the Ultrasone sound is really a good thing for me. I tried them and fall in love. Smooth, lush sound with great attack- solid bass that comes only when needed. Really, the best bass attack out of any cans I've ever tried. D5000 is close, but it has bigger and boomier bass.

I'd say really go and try it if you can. I found this can really lacking the spotlight, I searched the forum for ED8 and there is almost nothing significant, really.

There is ZERO sibilance, to get on topic.

I can audition them easily here, and am curious to try them again to give impressions. Maybe I can describe it to you in better detail later on.

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 14
I tried hd800 and did not like them too much - preferred 900's bass. Yes, 800 are very linear and neutral and precise but for my personal purely subjective taste, I prefer something more "solid" at the LF. I wish I could try Edition 8 - but in countries I live or travel, there are none, unfortunately, so the only thig left is to buy it based on what I read
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 14
hey there,

I tried them again today. Unfortunately the shop doesn't stock PRO900 so I can't do a direct comparison.

Again, I am amazed how there is no hint of that ultrasone bitterness that usually bugs me. No sharp treble. Still a hint of sibilance compared to HD600 and Shure SRH840, but I personally can live with that. The mids are smooth, really smooth and creamy. The imaging and separation are also very good- I can clearly hear layers of sounds and performers, with an air of effortlessness.
The bass has thunderous slam, more slam than any other headphone save for D5000.
But unlike D5000, there is no hint of boominess at all. The bass is sharp, deep and impactful when called for. And it sounds really clear and separated from the midrange. Personally though, I love this taste of bass.

Comfort and looks are really good too, but they should for that kind of material used.

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 14
Edition 8...No Sibilance.

Great headphone...a pleasure to lay atop your head

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by abyrvalg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They use titanium drivers, so I am concerned.

try not to let your preconceptions about materials get in the way. titanium is just a stiff material, and itself cannot be responsible for elevated levels in the high frequencies - only the overall driver construction can do that

by that same token, have you ever wondered why copper interconnects are considered "warm," while silver are sometimes considered "clear, detailed, harsh?" hint: the color of the material is affecting what people hear

that being said, my brief time with the Ed8 did not reveal any hint of sibilance. neither do the Ed9's, which may be more up your alley

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #14 of 14
Some young people can hear much wider range of frequency than some other older people.

For me, the ED8 is very hot in treble. This is due to I am feeding it with an mp3 and normal Jpop and Rock music. Most of these recordings are not done very professionally, and they sound very hard to my ear. Most of the "S" and "Ch" are at the un-audioble level.

However, if you feed them to the good Jazz and Classical recordings, they just sound much much better than other normal close cans. I guess it will be highly depended on your source.

IMO, it has a V shape sounding. Bit 2 much emphasizing on both high and low ends.

P.S.
If you think rock sound harsh on HD800, try ED8~~~~ Electric Guitar sounds like chain saw~~~~~~ :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back