Houston Head-Fi Meet #1 on October 25
Jul 30, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 239

mariowar

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 23, 2001
Posts
758
Likes
116
S1rrah, I unsuccessfully tried to host a meeting in the past but there was no response. At the end, only THADDY attended.

It sounds great, I could bring my NAD 542 cd player, my Emmeline Xp7 with power supply, and my beolved 2005 DT990.
My portable rig is a Samsung YP-z5 and UEs Superfi5Pro.
 
Jul 30, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 239

Orcin

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 21, 2007
Posts
1,396
Likes
18
I can possibly host a small event as well, maybe up to 12 people. I have a kitchen table and a dining room table for two listening areas so my house with s1rrah's "stuff" might work pretty well. Let's see how much interest we generate from Shelly's PM's and then we should have a better idea of what size venue we need. If we have enough interest to make a house crowded, I'll be shocked but you never know. Very exciting stuff...
 
Jul 30, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 239

Orcin

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 21, 2007
Posts
1,396
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to attend.

I have a long list of things I could bring, basically everything in my profile. I should have my custom turntable finished by then as well.




Woohoo, your profile is basically a store! Yes, we'd love to have you attend! Where's that new celebration icon... oh yeah, here it is.
beerchug.gif



And since we are acknowledging posts, Than and mariowar... we've got you on the list. Thanks for posting!

I can see the house getting crowded... maybe I will start to brainstorm about external venues. Again, I have no experience with these events so I have to ask newbie questions... at real meets, do they have a cover charge to handle renting a venue or do they get sponsors to cover it? Anyone know how that works?

I am just thinking out loud now, but I think we could have more fun if none of us had to worry about getting our houses ready to host the event. Again, this is all assuming that we generate a lot of interest and not just 6-8 people.
 
Jul 30, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #20 of 239

shellylh

Sugar and spice and all things nice
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Posts
1,565
Likes
11
That is great. Steve, I would absolutely love to hear your β22 if you bring it!!! I have been really interested in hearing a balanced rig!

darthsmile.gif


Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to attend.

I have a long list of things I could bring, basically everything in my profile. I should have my custom turntable finished by then as well.



 
Jul 31, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #21 of 239

wareagle69

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Posts
257
Likes
13
Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd also like to attend. Will bring the stuff from my profile, and since it is a long time until October, something else may get added to the inventory. Thanks for the IM shellylh.
 
Jul 31, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #22 of 239

shellylh

Sugar and spice and all things nice
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Posts
1,565
Likes
11
Cool, we have Stax now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareagle69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd also like to attend. Will bring the stuff from my profile, and since it is a long time until October, something else may get added to the inventory. Thanks for the IM shellylh.


 
Jul 31, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #23 of 239

Orcin

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 21, 2007
Posts
1,396
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wareagle69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd also like to attend. Will bring the stuff from my profile, and since it is a long time until October, something else may get added to the inventory. Thanks for the IM shellylh.



Excellent! Another impressive lineup of gear!

I am working on a location that could handle 25 people with lots of gear pretty easily. I should have some news about it in the next day or two. It would require a small cover charge (maybe $10-15 per person) to cover the cost, and there is no alcohol or smoking allowed on the premises. I would have to put down a deposit and clean it at the end of the day (basically leave it in the condition we found it).

I could live with those restrictions, does that sound like a problem to anybody? Do you think the "no alcohol" part might hurt attendance?


P.S. Post #500!
 
Jul 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #24 of 239

swt61

Dr. Wood
Joined
Sep 4, 2005
Posts
5,308
Likes
24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could live with those restrictions, does that sound like a problem to anybody? Do you think the "no alcohol" part might hurt attendance?


P.S. Post #500!



That's the same restrictions at the Dallas meets, and that hasn't slowed them down. Personally I have no problem with it whatsoever.
 
Jul 31, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #25 of 239

swt61

Dr. Wood
Joined
Sep 4, 2005
Posts
5,308
Likes
24
Congrats on your 500th post!

Did anyone PM luvdunhill? He has some impressive gear, a vast DIY knowledge and a great personality.

Oops, I guess I started a new post instead of editing my last one.
 
Jul 31, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #26 of 239

shellylh

Sugar and spice and all things nice
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Posts
1,565
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent! Another impressive lineup of gear!

I am working on a location that could handle 25 people with lots of gear pretty easily. I should have some news about it in the next day or two. It would require a small cover charge (maybe $10-15 per person) to cover the cost, and there is no alcohol or smoking allowed on the premises. I would have to put down a deposit and clean it at the end of the day (basically leave it in the condition we found it).

I could live with those restrictions, does that sound like a problem to anybody? Do you think the "no alcohol" part might hurt attendance?

P.S. Post #500!



I could live with the small cover charge as well on the no smoking or alcohol.

Also, congrats on the 500 posts (I am one behind you with 499).
darthsmile.gif


Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on your 500th post!

Did anyone PM luvdunhill? He has some impressive gear, a vast DIY knowledge and a great personality.

Oops, I guess I started a new post instead of editing my last one.



I meant to PM him but didn't finish my PMs yesterday because of work. I will PM him tonight along with some others unless you want to Steve.
 
Aug 1, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #27 of 239

SunByrne

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 27, 2003
Posts
899
Likes
106
If no travel appears on my calendar between now and then, I think it should be possible. I'd bring most of the gear in my profile except maybe the source (I'd bring my laptop and DAC, just not the SACD player).

I have no problem with the cover charge.

-Mike
 
Aug 1, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #28 of 239

Orcin

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 21, 2007
Posts
1,396
Likes
18
Great news, SunByrne! I hope you can make it.

I am still working on the location. I should know for sure by Monday and then I can post more info.

P.S. Grats Shellylh on your 500th post!
 
Aug 4, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #29 of 239

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 27, 2007
Posts
2,640
Likes
179
<BUMP>

[size=xx-large]c'mon Houston ...[/size]

Don't make me have to start PM'ing you all.

wink.gif


Anybody else interested in mutually agreeing to fondle one another's uber expensive head-fi gear?

(lmao!)

smily_headphones1.gif
 
Aug 4, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #30 of 239

Orcin

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 21, 2007
Posts
1,396
Likes
18
Thanks for the bump, s1rrah!

Here's an update on the potential venue I mentioned. It is the "clubhouse" in my subdivision, which is available for rental by the residents. There are a couple of hurdles that I am considering carefully before committing: a rather daunting rental contract with some hard-hitting liability clauses and a $500 security deposit. Also, there is a non-refundable rental fee of $150, which we could cover if we had 10 people at $15 each. There are only nine people that have expressed interest so far, and the odds are that not all would attend.

So for now, I am holding off on committing to this contract and deposit until it becomes apparent that one of our homes will not handle the crowd. I don't really want to have $500 out there in limbo for a couple of months. If we do start to attract a bigger crowd, this location would be a good possibility and could handle 15-20 people with lots of gear pretty well. I'll continue to investigate other possibilities.

I will pile on to s1rrah's message and urge people to post about their possible interest in this event. I am very committed to doing it, even if it is only 6-8 of us in someone's home. If my home is the best option, then that's what we'll do. If we get a lot more interest from people willing to pay a cover charge, then we can pursue other possibilities. If anyone else has connections to an external venue, let me know via PM.

So in summary, WE ARE GONNA DO THIS!!! Let's hear from you, H-town!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top