housing in NY, FIT student
Jul 21, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 16
NYC is very expensive. she will need roommates. does FIT have a student housing center to help students find places to live. that, or maybe craigslist. there are also NYC specific publications for people looking to rent/find roommates, but i don't know them off hand.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 16
Hey, my cousin's going to FIT in Fall too. Maybe they can be apartment-mates, lol.

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 16
Yes NY is VERY expensive.
Rents for a one room apartment start around $1100 per month with 2 months security.
Two rooms start around $1600 per month plus 2 months security.

Also most do not want smoking or pets, and some dont even want children.
Also alot do not want a room mate situation. They want one working adult, or a couple.

Hopefully the school will have an answer for you.
Check for a renting situation in craigslist.

Also check NY newspapers online for renting ads.

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes NY is VERY expensive.
Rents for a one room apartment start around $1100 per month with 2 months security. Two rooms start around $1600 per month plus 2 months security.

in manhattan, the above is more accurate if you double that number.
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 16
I live in Eastern LongIsland,NY
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, my cousin's going to FIT in Fall too. Maybe they can be apartment-mates, lol.

oh ho!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in manhattan, the above is more accurate if you double that number.
wink.gif

oh no!

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 16
If all else fails, she can stay at the local shelter if she qualifies. My other option would be finding a place slightly further from manhattan, since the further you are from commercial areas, the less you pay. I live close by the bay ridge area in Brooklyn. The rent is moderately priced here (one of the few decent neighborhoods that are still under $1000 if you're lucky), even cheaper with roommates, and rarely anything happens here. Only problem would be the above average commute time to the city.

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 16
Bayridge is pretty far. =[

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 16
i live in north new jersey, only a few minutes to the g.w. bridge. housing is not as cheap as many other states but cheaper than manhattan for sure.
a lot of people live in new jersey and commute to the city (jersey people call manhattan "the city") since there are several choices of transportation. lots of buses, trains and ferry rides.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 16
Roommates is the best idea. Staying in Manhattan will guarantee she has the best college, NYC, and everything experience.

What is her budget anyway?

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #14 of 16
Definitely live in Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Queens.

Roomates will be a fact of life. Plan on a 3, 4, or 5-way share staring ~$1000 a month each. Much less, & you don't want to be there. Trust me.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraegorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If all else fails, she can stay at the local shelter if she qualifies. My other option would be finding a place slightly further from manhattan, since the further you are from commercial areas, the less you pay. I live close by the bay ridge area in Brooklyn. The rent is moderately priced here (one of the few decent neighborhoods that are still under $1000 if you're lucky), even cheaper with roommates, and rarely anything happens here. Only problem would be the above average commute time to the city.

Hello neighbor!

cantsleep,
Like others said, she will need roommates and probably live in Brooklyn or Queens. In Brooklyn, she can get a decently sized apartment in good area for around $1000-$1300 without a problem. Just make sure to look for something near a major train line. If you need help determining which areas are good and bad, feel free to contact me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back